Do you ever wake up and say "screw it" for a day?

Options
How slippery of a slope is it? I usually wake up and take the dogs for a 3 mile jog but this morning... Not feeling it. I plan on tracking what I eat still but the whole moving thing just does not seem interesting today.

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I feel that way right now. I've been walking outside in a beautiful area, but it's pouring rain today. I bought a gym membership for days like this so I'll force myself to get off the couch. I don't know about anybody else, but in the past the screw it attitude has been my biggest problem and why I regained weight I'd lost. Good luck to you, OP!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Granted some days I struggle and go above maintenance, other days it's easy, but not at any point do I say screw it, because I've come way to far.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Not really. I feel great after exercising and I've been on MFP for 3 yrs and just do everything automatically. I hate a day when we go out with friends and I'm off my routine.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's pretty slippery! You're setting yourself up to skip exercise in the future if you start asking yourself "do I feel like working out or not?" Now, that doesn't mean you have to run 3 miles every day. Maybe you are pushing too hard and you need a rest day to do something else you might enjoy? Or you could say tell yourself you can stop whenever you want, but at least get your shoes on and go outside for a short walk. Chances are once you are out there, you'll enjoy it a lot more than you think you will. Getting your shoes on is often the hardest part!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes in terms of exercise. No in terms of tracking my calorie intake.
    I am not relying on exercise to lose weight because I have a hard time being consistant with it. I try to walk every day but some days I don't reach my step goal.
    Watching my food intake every day is easier.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Life can be tough. Every now and then, I grant myself an IDGAF day, with both food and fitness. But not often, because it gets too easy to get used to, and to sabotage all my hard work.
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Slightly_Amusing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    It's pretty slippery! You're setting yourself up to skip exercise in the future if you start asking yourself "do I feel like working out or not?" Now, that doesn't mean you have to run 3 miles every day. Maybe you are pushing too hard and you need a rest day to do something else you might enjoy? Or you could say tell yourself you can stop whenever you want, but at least get your shoes on and go outside for a short walk. Chances are once you are out there, you'll enjoy it a lot more than you think you will. Getting your shoes on is often the hardest part!

Slightly_Amused approves of this. I'm gonna charge my phone and get at least a walk in. Ive been at this for a month and I see my food choices getting a bit worse (Had a bad day with food yesterday for lunch). Maybe a brief jog will help kick me back in gear after last weekend. Thank you.
  • LittleBitMeme
    LittleBitMeme Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think I feel that way every morning when I am trying to wake up but once I start moving I am good to go
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Slightly_Amusing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Yes in terms of exercise. No in terms of tracking my calorie intake.
    I am not relying on exercise to lose weight because I have a hard time being consistant with it. I try to walk every day but some days I don't reach my step goal.
    Watching my food intake every day is easier.

Oh I have no plans of stopping water hang and logging what I eat. It's mostly the whole exercise thing. Some days I end up in a crawl space or attic for a good period of time and the next day I feel too burned out. However, I've decided to take a good walk in about 15 minutes. Thanks for the reply. Just knowing someone shares it helps somehow.
    Life can be tough. Every now and then, I grant myself an IDGAF day, with both food and fitness. But not often, because it gets too easy to get used to, and to sabotage all my hard work.

This is the first step of sabotage for me I believe. I actually know it is and part of me posting here was just to see that other people give a damn....or share the struggle lol. Thank you.

• packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your not alone. I'm a 40 y/o mother of 3. I've been on this weight loss journey off and on for so long it's pretty frustrating. I try not to let things get to me but it isn't easy.
    Husband, kids, working with my husband.
    I try to stay motivated but......
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So I did it. Got shoes on and started walking my normal route. I was slower than usual (by about 10 mins) but still did it. Thanks all.

Good for you! Just remember, something is always better than nothing. I heard that from a physical education professor this past year and think it's a great quote.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It depends. You have to listen to your body. Sometimes a day off is good. Sometimes I'll wake up & already be exhausted or sore, so I'll skip the gym in the morning. Trying to push through something like that might end up getting you injured or sick, but generally I feel worse when I skip the gym because of the wasted opportunity.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Sure have. Not often, but here and there isn't going to hurt me or my exercise program. If I let it go for two days though, I'll give myself a good rude kick in the tail to at least do something. That usually gets me right back on track.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No, for me I feel lije it could be a very slippery slope. Theres always an excuse clammoring for attention. I said screw it for 25 years and paid dearly in weight gain, loss of fitness, and health problems (most of which have resolved with weight loss). That said, I have learned how to cut myself some slack if occasionally I don't get in all steps, am sick, etc.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm working on not saying "screw it". I'm finding it is better to just change the routine a little. If I feel like eating above my calories I eat more and log it. It is not a slippery slope, just a bump in the road. If I really don't feel like doing my scheduled work out I will postpone a day. I run two three day programs, so I can move one or both up a day. No big deal. Saying screw it one day tends to snowball for me and before I know it I've put all the weight back on.