Ground beef?

kellielaroche
kellielaroche Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2016 in Recipes
Any simple healthy recipes using ground beef? Making tacos for my boyfriend tonight, and not sure what to make for myself..

Replies

• TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Taco salad !
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    You don't like tacos??!!
    Things I used ground beef or ground turkey in: burgers, meatloaf, shepherds pie, chili, in the crock pot with gravy and mashed potatoes.
  • kellielaroche
    kellielaroche Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2016
    I LOVE tacos! Looking for something a little healthier! Lol!!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Roast spaghetti squash, add cooked ground beef and tomato sauce, top with cheese, broil until bubbly.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I make chili with ground beef. Shepherd's pie, bolognese, burger patties, meatloaf, meatballs, albondigas. Tacos can even be kinda healthy if you are thoughtful :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I LOVE tacos! Looking for something a little healthier! Lol!!

What makes tacos less healthy than other dishes with ground beef?
    I add beans and spinach to my tacos.

Cabbage rolls, ground beef stir fry, pasta and meatballs, taco soup/chili, stuffed peppers, Italian wedding soup
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Get grass fed beef 97% 3% or 93% 7% ... thats the healthiest choice as far as ground beef is concerned

I usually make these little stuffed pepper things, idk what they're called but they're super good,

Get those mini peppers, they're orange, red and yellow, and preheat the oven to like 325

Take a sliver off each the peppers lengthwise so you can scoop out the seeds and just open them up with your fingers

Put the peppers in the over so soften them up, usually about 10 or 15 mins

While thise cook, take the slivers and cut them up, also cut up like a 1/3 of an onion, and Sautee those in a pan with olive oil, add some seasoning, idk just whatever you like, i normally use creole seasoning, and onion and garlic powder and pepper

Cook that until the onions sweat, then add your beef ... cook until all the beef is brown, you want it to be juicy still lol

I usually take the peppers out about halfway through cooking the other stuff so they can cool a little bit

Stuff the peppers with the beef and then top with a little shredded cheese then pop them back in the over for about 5 or 10 mins, just want the cheese to melt really, then eat em up lol

Idk the macros or how to write a proper recipe but i know they are delicious and pretty low cal

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Meatloaf, meatballs, kafta, burgers, sheppard's pie. I don't know what you consider healthy, but I would qualify these uses of ground beef as delicious. Also wondering how tacos are unhealthy.
  • antdelsa
    edited November 2016
    Meatloaf, meatballs, kafta, burgers, sheppard's pie. I don't know what you consider healthy, but I would qualify these uses of ground beef as delicious. Also wondering how tacos are unhealthy.

Tacos can be very unhealthy, so can everything you just listed... just depends on how its prepared and what ingredients are used, definitely wouldn't consider tacos healthy though, unless you're using lettuce as a shell, lean beef, minimal amount of cheese and salt and no sour cream lol
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    antdelsa wrote: »

Tacos can be very unhealthy, so can everything you just listed... just depends on how its prepared and what ingredients are used, definitely wouldn't consider tacos healthy though, unless you're using lettuce as a shell, lean beef, minimal amount of cheese and salt and no sour cream lol

I make my tacos with homemade tortillas (salt, water, masa), shredded smoked pork or chicken, salsa (vegetables and a little lime juice), a half ounce of queso fresco, and a little cilantro. Sometimes I add a slice of avocado or a little sour cream. What is unhealthy about tacos?
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Just eat the taco meat on rommaine lettuce and add extra sauteed onions, bell peppers and fresh tomato, cilantro and green onions. Add some avocado on top. Healthy and low carb.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa wrote: »

I make my tacos with homemade tortillas (salt, water, masa), shredded smoked pork or chicken, salsa (vegetables and a little lime juice), a half ounce of queso fresco, and a little cilantro. Sometimes I add a slice of avocado or a little sour cream. What is unhealthy about tacos?

Just depends on your macros and goals i guess i can think of so much more i can eat for the calories and macros but hey different strokes for different folks i suppose
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Ok I don't see what's unhealthy about tacos. Just go light on the cheese and use corn tortillas/shells and not flour (or use low carb wraps).
  • RachelElser
    darn it, now I want tacos at 9 am!
  • RachelElser
    dklibert wrote: »

that's a great idea to use lettuce instead of a shell!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Relser wrote: »

Me Too!! LOL!!!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    TommyW45 wrote: »
    Taco salad !

I second taco salad!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Have a taco salad instead, skip the cheese (you can't taste it anyway) add beans and veg to your taco meat (peppers, onions, spinach) and load up on the raw veggies. Use greek yogurt instead of sour cream if you are trying to go low calorie. Weigh out 28 grams of tortilla chips and crush them up. Apply salsa as you like for dressing (naturally low calorie.) All in all I just skip the ingredients that give me minimal enjoyment and maximum calories when I'm trying to fit any food in. Usually this means skipping cheese. I've learned that very few things actually need cheese. It was a sad revelation for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Relser wrote: »

I always want tacos. Except when I want carrot cake, which is always.

Hmmm... Carrot cake tacos...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I vote taco salad or sloppy joes. We'll typically brown the beef (usually 80 or 85% lean), then rinse it in hot water to remove most of the fat (so we can consider it somewhere around 90% lean) then use it in our recipes. You can make a taco salad without the tortillas although it's not as good if you ask me. We'll make sloppy joes using whole tomatoes, blanched, peeled, processed with raw onions, spices and seasonings, with less or no salt, then add it to the hamburger. Reduces sodium, which allows room for a slice of cheese as well on the sandwich. ;)

Otherwise you could also use spaghetti squash, make an Italian bake out of it. Plenty of recipes out there. I've seen recipes for making taco shells out of cauliflower but it looks like a lot of work.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    Tacos. Just lean heavy on the vegetables. A fried taco filled with lots of greasy ground beef, beans cooked with lard, sour cream and lots of cheese is a calorie bomb. A baked taco filled with lean meat, beans without lard, greek yogurt, some cheese and lots of lettuce and salsa is not -- and is healthier to boot.
  • SuperNerd42
    SuperNerd42 Posts: 47 Member
    I love tacos! They can be very healthy or very... not. Depends on how you make them. I skip the cheese and go lite on the sour cream. Cook up black beans with some cilantro and lime, throw in some fresh corn and chopped tomato, maybe sweat some peppers and onions, wrap them in lettuce instead of tortilla, etc. Corn tortillas aren't too bad calorie wise either.

Ok now I need tacos today!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Any simple healthy recipes using ground beef? Making tacos for my boyfriend tonight, and not sure what to make for myself..

why don't you make a taco for yourself? A taco is pretty healthy...