Options
    P13C35 wrote: »
    Go! Call the pup Fitbit!
    I did tell my boys I wanted a Fitbit!
  • irishauburn
    irishauburn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    k9122wx272ep.png

my wee Jack Russell. She's 13 years old. There are days she can walk for 10 miles plus with no issues, and other days I find myself carrying her as her wee legs give in
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    P13C35 wrote: »
    I owe the start and continuation of my mirninf exercise to my dog. Not many dog friendly people on here that I've seen. I bike my dog 14 miles and her pace is 9.5 mph. Its not a lot, but still a burn. Plan on adding more dogs w walks. Bailey, 40 lbs blue heeler is my bud in life and I have problems leaving the house on a good day, but w the dog, I'm on the trail. Will change come snow.
    My dog is my life fitness pal, never out of energy. Looking for others who incorporate dogs into exercise routine. She gives me motivation w that happy face every morning and that helps me out the door. I have much to lose, am on meds where I have to be realistic about the weight gain side effects, but 60 lbs or so have to go! I got my dog in shape, and she's getting me moving every day. My general outlook on life is a little something is better than a lot of nothing. I keep it basic.

My pups are what I live for! My boyfriend and I love walking Dutch (Bullmastiff) and Ote (short-hair Chihuahua) all the time in the summer... although Ote has bad legs so she's usually pushed in a stroller or carried. They get us active for at least 25-30 minutes per evening. Plus we take them to the dog park or the trails and walk around. Great way to bond and get active all at once! Now that it's winter, it's going to be more difficult. By the time I get home it's pitch black outside and neither them nor I like the cold.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    This is a pic of Nugget being her goofy dog self. She's my service dog and has been a game changer if not life saver!

a119606b6b56c8c5dbea4989e53bdac8914a.jpg

She is SO CUTE!!! I saw a service dog in training and was chatting with the owner and finally asked "what breed of dog is he?" because he was so unusual looking- like a pitty with short little legs, like dash hound short and sure enough, mom was a pitty and dad was a dash hound!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Anyone run with a Westie? Or is it too much for them? I'm not running yet, but will get there in a couple of months. I have 2 Westies, one that always wants to go faster and farther on walks, and one with shorter than normal legs who gets tired. Is 5 mph too fast for a Westie for a half hour or so?
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    This is my dog, Dave.
    Dave likes mud.
    A lot.

dave1_zps5qwjzthn.jpg

That's so cute! One happy dog right there. My Rott does not like mud. At all. As in, while other dogs are weaving in and out of mud puddles at the dog park, she's oh so carefully stepping around the muddy areas so as to avoid them entirely.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    This is my dog, Dave.
    Dave likes mud.
    A lot.

dave1_zps5qwjzthn.jpg

That's so cute! One happy dog right there. My Rott does not like mud. At all. As in, while other dogs are weaving in and out of mud puddles at the dog park, she's oh so carefully stepping around the muddy areas so as to avoid them entirely.

Funny how they're all so different! Our last one was a bit like that, very lady-like and wasn't fond of getting muddy, or even just wet. She also wouldn't drink her water if it had been down for more than a few Hours.
    This one is never happier than when charging across the mud flats on one side, or in the marshland the other side of the sea wall. He doesn't actually like his water bowl, and usually charges outside to drink from whatever puddles/old tarps etc he can find...the greener the water the more he likes it!!

Strange things, dogs!
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As you can see from my profile pic (avatar) my dog is my constant side-kick. He spent his first year as a stray in the desert. Skin and bones, so hungry, thirsty and dirty... I was the last tourist he ever begged from. :) He's the best gift in my life! He goes every where with me and our daily walks are the best! I know I'd be blowing off walking if it weren't for him.

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Anyone run with a Westie? Or is it too much for them? I'm not running yet, but will get there in a couple of months. I have 2 Westies, one that always wants to go faster and farther on walks, and one with shorter than normal legs who gets tired. Is 5 mph too fast for a Westie for a half hour or so?

Honestly, I think it depends on the dog - how fit the dog is, energy levels, etc. If you're going to run with your dog, you'll want to gradually work up to it. Dogs can get sore from too intense a workout just like humans can. Your vet will be able to tell you what kind of impact the running will have on your dog's joints and whether they can handle running.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You guys are so lucky! I'm scared of most dogs. I can't help it. I'm currently a university student living in no pets accommodation but when I have my own place I want to adopt several cats and a small, relaxed, senior dog. Senior dogs (and senior cats!) often get overlooked in shelters in favour of puppies and I think it's so sad that these oldies have to live out their retirement years in a cage surrounded by loud barking. A senior probably won't be up for lots of hiking and running, but a good walk every day will make a world of difference to me. I don't go out enough and never exercise.
    Good luck to you all!

This is so true. Good for you for wanting to adopt a senior. :)
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    jgtv5s3fvrbo.jpg

My running buddy, Buffy. Running uphill is much easier when she's pulling me! Hoping to enter some races with her next year. Anyone else do canicross?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    GrinnyMae wrote: »
    zsymuw7yfeq8.jpg

This is my clown Vinny. Lots of walks together.

@GrinnyMae - Boston Terriers are my favorite. My heart dog, Mojo, passed away in August at age 10. She was my soul mate.
    wsmjhmab3o4c.jpg
  • NicoletteBTY
    NicoletteBTY Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My dogs love to go hiking with us, including in the mountains.
    They make it more enjoyable!
    sp47ud93idpn.jpg
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My dog Freya gets me out the door for walks. She loves the snow so she helps keep me motivated for walks even through the winter. I tried running with her a few times but she wasn't into it and would lag behind. So now we stick with walking, and she gets to run off leash in the dog park.
    484pswd8luxo.jpg
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    My two little rescues don't have an 'off' switch...
    m1vgwkhx7ovf.jpg
  • brianjmoran
    brianjmoran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try to walk Fitz and Simmons on a regular basis, especially during the winter, but winter also means it gets dark early, so they have light up collars so they can be seen better (humans are the only ones who should wear easy to see clothing when it get dark after all). They don't enjoy being outside when it is raining though, so they probably will not get another walk until Thursday :(

bqvbi47ypc6b.jpg
    ubxkvhizhpos.jpg
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    From left to right, Eli, Houdini and Lucy. Houdini likes to take walks with us. Weirdo, right?
    q6jxjsmn5fff.jpg
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My guy has a couple of slipped discs in his back, so our walks have gotten a lot shorter lately. He started hydrotherapy a couple of months ago and I realized, "If he can do 20 minutes/session, then so can I."
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    euufn19tdyg6.jpg

This is my handsome boy, Recon. We adopted him from our local shelter in VT. He was rescued by our shelter from a WV kill shelter. He's my first dog and I never realized how in love with a dog you can be!! He's my best friend. He loves going for walks (though I don't). Luckily, we have a big back yard that he can run around in.