Nervous about leaving slimming club

2»

Replies

• von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks again. When my first lot of weight went on at 40 I hit the gym and diet clubs big style. I went 5/6 days a week often doing 3 or more classes some back to back. Some trainers refused me in classes. I picked up countless injuries and viruses. I never lost weight but obviously got stronger. By mid 40s I had finished the gym menopause had started and at one point I was bleeding continually for 5 months. Then the weight shot up again I think i put blinkers on and ignored it even though I was still trying clubs. Before 50 was horrendous I was having nightmares about dying and getting ill and leaving family behind etc. Then my birthday arrived and it was fabulous.... nothing dropped off. Celebrated with my family, my daughter who works abroad was over, we had got our first passports and hubby had booked a cruise our first holiday abroad and alone.

Cruise was amazing and couldn't wait to buy official photo of Black tie night but when we went to view them I cried for the first time I saw the real impact of how big I had become. Managed to enjoy rest of the cruise and vowed to get weight off once home. Not happened in fact now weigh more!!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    ouldn't wait to buy official photo of Black tie night but when we went to view them I cried for the first time I saw the real impact of how big I had become.

Boy does this hit home...I took a picture the other day which I have deleted, and I had to have my drivers license renewed, they put a fat old ladies picture on it....I was or had been told I was good looking..there isn't a shred of that young girl left, I haven't aged well at all it makes me sad. No one would recognize me as the same person anymore. I am hoping now this works and maybe I can at least find a healthier old person who isn't a revolted by having her photo taken.
  • von66
    That certainly hits home too. I was always the petite pretty little thing
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I'm well over 50, in menopause. I gained fat weight around age 50...not because of age, not because of peri-menopause etc, but because I was eating too much. Age doesn't make you fat... menopause doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn DOES make you fat (or gain weight if you prefer). I lost my fat using WW, had a great, inspirational leader. But a few pounds crept back on because I got complacent & started treating myself too much. Quit WW (never tried Slimming World, as friends that go never lose any weight on it), came here, lost the gain & more. All of this, including gain, was while going to gym! I now am slimmer & healthier than I've been in years; more active, happy with my health & weight.

The recipe for my success (& success of many many of the inspirational people here I've learned from) is this; measure, weigh, & track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. Self-check if I feel bored or snackey, might be thirsty, or need something to do. Eat stuff that gives more nutritional bang for the buck (not a fan of chippy food, too many calories for fairly poor nutrition, for example). Do some exercise every day...I do Pilates, go to gym almost daily for treadmill or power step classes, do Nordic walking around local park, go to a fitness boot camp 3x week. I don't drink much or often, don't splurge a lot. I don't use holiday as excuse to pig out. I try very hard not to make excuses, not to make justifications, not to blame anyone or anything other than myself. I do try to stay positive & constructive.

I hope some of this can help you on your journey. Everyone is different, & has different challenges, but I learned a lot here by being open & honest with myself, & people responded to that & helped me. Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I'm well over 50, in menopause. I gained fat weight around age 50...not because of age, not because of peri-menopause etc, but because I was eating too much. Age doesn't make you fat... menopause doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn DOES make you fat (or gain weight if you prefer). I lost my fat using WW, had a great, inspirational leader. But a few pounds crept back on because I got complacent & started treating myself too much. Quit WW (never tried Slimming World, as friends that go never lose any weight on it), came here, lost the gain & more. All of this, including gain, was while going to gym! I now am slimmer & healthier than I've been in years; more active, happy with my health & weight.

The recipe for my success (& success of many many of the inspirational people here I've learned from) is this; measure, weigh, & track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. Self-check if I feel bored or snackey, might be thirsty, or need something to do. Eat stuff that gives more nutritional bang for the buck (not a fan of chippy food, too many calories for fairly poor nutrition, for example). Do some exercise every day...I do Pilates, go to gym almost daily for treadmill or power step classes, do Nordic walking around local park, go to a fitness boot camp 3x week. I don't drink much or often, don't splurge a lot. I don't use holiday as excuse to pig out. I try very hard not to make excuses, not to make justifications, not to blame anyone or anything other than myself. I do try to stay positive & constructive.

I hope some of this can help you on your journey. Everyone is different, & has different challenges, but I learned a lot here by being open & honest with myself, & people responded to that & helped me. Good luck!

yes too many calories make you fat,but if you have menopause or are older your metabolism does slow down some,so BMR will also most likely be lower,therefore eating say 1800 calories when you were younger may result in weight gain for some,because people dont know they need less calories due to these factors, its the same as when we lose weight we need less calories to maintain our current weight,. so if you eat say 2000 calories at 250 lbs you are going to need a lot less calories at 200,190,etc. some people dont realize that happens,even with active people. its still about CICO for most people(health issues aside), but there are factors that may make weight loss slower/harder for them.
  • von66
    Thanks for replies and yes everyone is different lol. Previous message got chopped for some reason so comes across a little short so to speak. Definitely made up my mind and have told consultant today. I'm off this week then have few weeks countdown left and that's it. Feel so much better already. Aiming to keep track on here and get back to exercise. Also going take measurements as its not always about scales. Off clubbercise tonight which is a killer aerobically!!!! Already cooked and calculated dinner just need weigh portion and done.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Sounds like a good plan, von66. One of my close friends teaches clubbercise & loads love it! MFP does work...if you need help, give me a shout.
  • von66
    Absolutely loved clubbercise.....according to fitness band 530 calories burned. Been buzzing all day lol.