When do people notice your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    After 15 pounds friends and family started commenting for me.
    Co-workers not so much, they're probably being polite! 5'0", 135 to 120 lbs.
  • mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't comment specifically on someone's weight unless we were in private and it was someone I knew pretty well. I do say to people, "Hey, you look great!" If they've lost weight, they'll know what I mean and be happy about it. If they didn't, then at least I've given them a nice (and true!) compliment!

I have lost 30 pounds, and I think it's now noticeable to the outside world (at least the people who are paying attention).
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've lost 26 pounds and have another 10 or 15 to go. Nobody has said a word except for one close friend who I talk to about my weight.

It's better than a few years ago when I went from 180 down to 135 and people asked me if I had cancer or another serious illness (I'm a 5'4" woman and 135 would be a great weight for me, right in the middle of my healthy weight range).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I started to notice at 20 lbs. No one else noticed until i was down about 50 lbs. Now that I'm down 103 lbs, everyone is noticing because I don't look fat any more.

My mom started a lot heavier. She's lost 170 lbs and very few people can see the difference at all. "Really fat" is still all most people see, even though she's lost so much more than me. In fact, she just started perceiving her own loss herself (size 4x instead of 7x is sinking in). She has another 160 to go.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I started to notice at 20 lbs. No one else noticed until i was down about 50 lbs. Now that I'm down 103 lbs, everyone is noticing because I don't look fat any more.

My mom started a lot heavier. She's lost 170 lbs and very few people can see the difference at all. "Really fat" is still all most people see, even though she's lost so much more than me. In fact, she just started perceiving her own loss herself (size 4x instead of 7x is sinking in). She has another 160 to go.

Ya, I think goal weight is when it REALLY hits people because people just think fat is fat is fat. Then bam, you're skinny now!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 210 lbs to 183 lbs and so far, 80% of people I know haven't noticed. The ones who did only say 'your belly got flat!' But just my belly? Honestly, I care a lot about my face getting slim, but no one seems to mention it. What's that NUMBER when people start noticing, because for me, apparently it's not 30 lbs.

There is no magic number. It happens whenever they are observant enough, smart enough, and comfortable enough to say something. Geez, they compliment you on your stomach, the ONE area that EVERYONE struggles with, and you're not satisfied? That's a great compliment for 30 lbs.
    I've lost 148 pounds and a lot of people, including some I work out with, haven't said a word. That's just not their style, or maybe they're jealous because they keep losing and gaining the same 10 lbs over and over.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've gone from 210 lbs to 183 lbs and so far, 80% of people I know haven't noticed. The ones who did only say 'your belly got flat!' But just my belly? Honestly, I care a lot about my face getting slim, but no one seems to mention it. What's that NUMBER when people start noticing, because for me, apparently it's not 30 lbs.

There is no magic number. It happens whenever they are observant enough, smart enough, and comfortable enough to say something. Geez, they compliment you on your stomach, the ONE area that EVERYONE struggles with, and you're not satisfied? That's a great compliment for 30 lbs.
    I've lost 148 pounds and a lot of people, including some I work out with, haven't said a word. That's just not their style, or maybe they're jealous because they keep losing and gaining the same 10 lbs over and over.

Congrats on the amazing loss!!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen my Family in a year last Christmas I was 200 ish (down 90lbs) and they thought I was so so small ( Their BIG people) and made me very aware I needed to eat more. Well I ate more but moved even more and am now at 178lbs can't wait to do a back flip at their first weight remark with a big smile..

Jedi Training Rocks!!
    ______________________ You people keep being awesome!!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    30lbs down and i was only 208 to begin with and no one has said a word. thankfully i don't give a crap what anyone else thinks :)
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    30lbs down and i was only 208 to begin with and no one has said a word. thankfully i don't give a crap what anyone else thinks :)

Depending on how tall you are it may not be visible? People outside mfp are too busy minding their business so it's plausible people just did not notice.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As some others mentioned, I find people do notice but it's kinda weird to make a comment because you don't want to insult the person in any way or make any assumptions so many just say nothing or make general comments like 'you're looking great!' or 'oh, i didn't recognize you at first'. I can tell by their facial reaction though that they notice something's different. I would probably do the same thing because I would hate to imply that I thought the person was 'fat' or 'overweight' when I saw them last. If that makes sense... . It's like the opposite for when you think you see someone is pregnant... most of us would never dare ask and just wait for them to announce their pregnancy before you mention it because you'd hate to be wrong and insult them. I wouldn't take it personally and I would definitely focus on how you feel and how your weight loss makes you feel instead. Do it for you, not the compliments. Any compliments given are just bonus :wink:
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    As some others mentioned, I find people do notice but it's kinda weird to make a comment because you don't want to insult the person in any way or make any assumptions so many just say nothing or make general comments like 'you're looking great!' or 'oh, i didn't recognize you at first'. I can tell by their facial reaction though that they notice something's different. I would probably do the same thing because I would hate to imply that I thought the person was 'fat' or 'overweight' when I saw them last. If that makes sense... . It's like the opposite for when you think you see someone is pregnant... most of us would never dare ask and just wait for them to announce their pregnancy before you mention it because you'd hate to be wrong and insult them. I wouldn't take it personally and I would definitely focus on how you feel and how your weight loss makes you feel instead. Do it for you, not the compliments. Any compliments given are just bonus :wink:

Thanks for this, definitely please don't ask me whether I'm pregnant , I'm not (have been asked, was not nice :(.... but whatever their problem for being rude, not mine :wink:
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Because it relates. My x - wife took My kids (ten years old) pumpkin shopping Sunday and my youngest told her " This pumpkin is shaped like you Mommy -short and stubby". Now the kid loves her more than anything and doesn't have a mean bone in his body so it wasn't maliciously said but an actual true statement (5'4" 270lbs) coming from a kids perspective.

My point is don't let someone hurt you- stay positive, think positive be positive..
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interesting :)
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I walk every day outside, for the last 6 months and lots of people I DON'T KNOW tell me I've lost weight/look good, etc. Maybe it should make me feel good but instead I have this sense of "Oh, crap. People really ARE watching me." I'm the sort of person who feels like they're being watched, not in a paranoid way, but in a social anxiety way. But I do get nice compliments from family members. It started after I'd lost, oh, say 30lbs or so. I'm down around 50, now and hear it a lot.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" and 245 pounds it took about 30 pounds before people began to slightly notice; it wasn't until I'd lost 50 that people really noticed; and it wasn't until 60+ that people routinely and frequently noticed. Dropping clothing sizes worked about the same way, I noticed -- it took me about 30 pounds to go down the first size, then around 20 for the next, then it started happening every 10-15 pounds. Super frustrating for the first few months, but the late payoff was worth it.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9" female started at 184. One person at work said something at 169, 15lbs. When I visited family, no mention at 10lbs, comment I look "more toned" at 20lbs, and "definitely lost weight" at 30lbs. Have to say even I am caught off guard looking at myself in photos (in a good way!)
  • makkrimson
    makkrimson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15lbs and it took about a month for anyone to notice, and they first noticed my face looking smaller. My hubby noticed at around 10lbs though!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can't remember whether I ever answered this specific one. It took 40+ pounds for me (down from a high of 212). Now, at 50 pounds down, I get comments constantly. But up until this point (more or less)...not one word. Crickets. It's weird, all of a sudden, bam, everybody notices.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    rarely... men are the worst at noticing