How can I possibly lose weight?

Options
I am very new to this site. It says I get 1630 calories.

I've always heard that you have to burn more calories than you eat to lose weight. I have a back injury and I can't really exercise, especially not enough to burn more than 1630 calories a day. So how the heck do I lose weight then? What can I do to burn that many calories? My doctor wants me to lose weight to help my back, but if I can't exercise, I'll never lose weight. I don't know what to do!

Replies

• jigglyjones
    jigglyjones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You burn calories just existing.

In order to lose weight, you simply consume fewer calories than that.

Exercise just helps the process a long a bit, and makes things a little easier, but isn't necessary to lose weight.

Ok, so I don't have to exercise and burn that many calories? How do I know how many calories I am burning? I've tried eating 800 calories before, but I didn't lose weight because I was in starvation mode. I don't know how to do this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options

Exercise just helps the process a long a bit, and makes things a little easier, but isn't necessary to lose weight.

Ok, so I don't have to exercise and burn that many calories? How do I know how many calories I am burning? I've tried eating 800 calories before, but I didn't lose weight because I was in starvation mode. I don't know how to do this.

Have you entered your details into MFP? And selected sedentary as your activity level? And selected to lose 1 lb/week?

If so, the number of calories MFP gives you will take all your details into consideration and will give you a number of calories that includes enough of a deficit for you to lose 1 lb/week if you stick to that number.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options

800 calories calculated how? You need to get some scales and start weighing food portions out to get real proper `accurate figures for your intake.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you just have to eat fewer calories than your TDEE which is your total daily estimated expenditure- or in other words your maintenance calories. You don't need to exercise! You burn calories just by existing (it takes calories to beat your heart, breathe, keep all your organs functioning, etc), and even things like thinking, talking, regular body movement etc burns calories. Even digesting food burns calories!

To avoid going into "starvation mode" don't eat less than your BMR- your basal metabolic rate. That's the minimum calories you need just to survivie.

Myfitnesspal should have calculated your calories correctly if you entered your stats properly, but if you want to check your TDEE and BMR and make sure that 1630 is within those two numbers you can use an online TDEE calculator- just google that.

You may need to adjust down a bit if you are say bed ridden or immobile due to your injury because myfitnesspal and the TDEE calculator will assume that even if you mark sedentary that you do normal activities like walk around the house and such, but if all you're doing is not exercising then you're not any different than many other people on this site that also do not exercise and are still losing weight due to simply being in a caloric deficit.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, put exercise to one side for the moment. If you have myfitnesspal set up to lose a pound a week, it will work out how much energy you need every day just to exist, no extra exercise, and then it will take away 500 calories - that's your "deficit", and that will mean you lose weight. You do not need to take any exercise, you just need to measure and log what you are eating accurately and you will lose weight. As others have said, as your injury is limiting your activity, you need to set up the activity level as "sedentary".

It's really not as complicated as people like to make it out to be. You'll get there. Good luck!
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    The key to weight loss is in the kitchen and not the gym!

Well said Chunkytfg. That phrase should be the moto for MFP! ;-)

• Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight without exercising but you wont change your shape. So if youre a pear youll become a smaller pear. Try gentle exercises in the pool. There is always something.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    You will still lose weight without exercising but you wont change your shape. So if youre a pear youll become a smaller pear. Try gentle exercises in the pool. There is always something.

This is the case regardless if you exercise or not, you cannot change from say a pear shape to an apple shape, by exercising.

Op, I lost 50lbs with no exercise factored in at all. I'm now several years into maintenance doing the same thing. I control my weight completely by the amount of calories I eat, and that's all that is needed for weight loss and maintenance. Also, feel free to take a peek at my profile pics, and see what a 'before' pear looks like vs an 'after' pear looks like, all done with no exercise :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Consume in the region of 1630 calories over a sustained period of time.

That's all.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you set up MFP correctly, the number it spits out IS the number of calories you shoudl be eating in order to lose the weight you want to lose. All those other numbers (how many calories it ttakse to keep you alive, how many calories you burn in an average day) are ALREADY THERE.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    You're screwed. You are weighed down with too many excuses and can't possibly lose weight.

Ouch!!!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Eat 1630 calories per day. You don't have to exercise to earn those calories.