Women- do you run alone?

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    When I jog, cycle, walk or hike I generally am alone. Seriously I am more scared of other stuff that stranger danger.
    Sure it may/can/does happen occasionally but the chance of being hit by a car (even when in a car) or is far greater. Purest for of fearmongering these stories IMO
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've always run alone and never been worried about it. It's my alone time. Statistically you are far more likely to be attacked by someone you know (sad but true) than by a stranger jumping out from behind a tree in the dark. I used to run with music, but turned down very low so I could hear my breathing, the birds and any traffic that might be around. I don't run at night because there's no lighting where I run and the ground is uneven- I'm way more worried about injury than being attacked.

I have a dog now so I run with her, and I don't listen to music because I'm too busy trying to get her to ignore squirrels.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I do run alone, but not ever at night. When I was much younger I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but I've seen enough stories of things happening here to unsuspecting women (and men too!!). Sad, we live in what I would consider to be a fairly safe province, but you have to be cautious!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    geez. Isn't it interesting that if a person asks the question 'do you run alone?' the automatic assumption is that there is a danger of being attacked.

I'm more concerned about rolling down the side of a cliff and not being found for ages, breaking my ankle or starving to death, having my eyes pecked out by ravens and my fingertips nibbled by rats. This isn't because I live in a safe place, I live in a city, although carrying weapons is illegal (a gun is a crappy form of defence anyway, think about it, what can you do with a tiny round projectile except use it in an aggressive manner?).

I'm probably more likely to get attacked on a Friday night in the city centre. Hell, I'm LESS likely to walk around alone in the city centre on a Friday night than run alone. I also wear short skirts and sometimes show my cleavage.

Statistically speaking running in the morning is safer than running in the evening. I think this is because the bad guys are all still in bed or something. I run alone and I smile at all the other runners running alone. If I were attacked when running alone I'd just be incredibly unlucky as what are the chances of a bad guy actually being there, at the moment I ran past? Besides which, the more I run the faster I'll be able to run away from them.....
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I do go for walks. I go down to our bay where its nice and open. At all times of the day and I'm comfortable. I dont blast my music and only have one head phone in.
    I also carry a pocket knife. And my dad taught me where to hit to bring them down. Unless I'm on private property then I'm packing a gun.
    There are tons of self defence products out there that just go on your key chain.

But I'm not sure why the media reminding you how to be safe upsets people so much. Yeah statistic say you're safe but it also says some of us aren't. Why not be safe?

If you're afraid of the woods because of animals. Take your head phones out and play your music out loud. 99.9% of bears want nothing to do with you and will leave when hearing you. But remember prey run. So you need to look around watch what you run by and look behind you to make sure something's not following you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    geez. Isn't it interesting that if a person asks the question 'do you run alone?' the automatic assumption is that there is a danger of being attacked.

That wasn't my assumption from the title -- I actually thought it was going to be about preferences, maybe, although it being aimed only at women should have made me realize. However, what I and others no doubt responded to was the opening post, which did bring up the issue of being attacked.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yes, else I wouldn't be able to run.

I run at 5 am. In the summer it's light and in the winter it's dark. Don't think there is a real safety difference re: kidnappers between the two but it does feel that way. There is of course more chance of tripping and getting hit by a car when it's dark, but I take precautions for that (lighted reflective vest and knuckle lights). There is a surprising amount of traffic even on back roads in my Boston suburb, mostly commuters trying to beat the traffic I assume. It took me a bit to get used to, but now I feel pretty safe.

Yes, there is always a chance of some monster lurking in someone's lawn, but I truly think that's pretty rare. Rare enough to make national news, so it's not happening on every street every day, KWIM?
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    The fact is that life in motion puts us at risk. Every day in every circumstance. I trust my instincts when I am out, like others, communicate where I am going and carry a phone. I am not willing to change the balance in my life out of fear.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I run alone with one earbud to listen to music but still hear ambient sounds. I'm more afraid of tripping and falling or getting hit by a car than attacked. I figure that most attackers are going to target someone other than the fit chick...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog most of the time. I don't run with music. I run only during the day. I'm not worried about safety. Maybe I should be, but I can't let fear run my life. I'm not afraid of terrorist attacks, school shootings, etc.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog, except for long run days, then I run alone because she taps out at about 6-7 miles.

I either just play music with no earbuds or only wear one. But that is more so i hear bikes coming or freaking unleashed dogs because the running trails in our town are full of people who don't think leash laws apply to them.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I run alone at night with no music and I conceal carry. I'm on the outskirts of town and we have coyotes and loose dogs. I'm more concerned about that than being attacked by a person. I'm far out enough where someone could stop and grab me I suppose but...I don't think much of it.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I used to carry pepper spray when I walked alone. After I got my concealed carry permit, I now carry a very small gun in my pocket. However, I would not carry if I wasn't knowledgeable in handling it.
    I only wear one earbud so I can hear if a car or person is coming up behind me. I walk near my home in a very rural area or sometimes on a secluded trail in town.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I run alone sometimes, but not in any secluded areas, not at night, and not with headphones. I'm paranoid of every car that goes by and looks lol.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I run alone before sunrise, and usually carry pepper spray. Sometimes I'll use earbuds but keep the music soft. My route is on a busy road (on a safe sidewalk), so if anything were to happen there are plenty of cars driving by. I finish just in time to make sure my teenage kids are up and getting ready for school, so if something were to happen and I'm late they'd know to contact someone right away.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I generally take one of my dogs with me, never run with anything in my ears, and carry pepper spray and/or an open knife at the ready.
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I live on a military base, so I generally feel safer. but I always take my dog with me and tell my husband that I'm going on a run.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hit the mountains alone and sometimes so early I wear my head lamp going up before the sun rises. There are a bunch of regulars that frequent a couple of different mountains in the mornings so I feel pretty safe but a couple of the mountains that are less active I bring my big staffy along for the hike and I know he will protect me.

It's pretty hot during the day here so I tend to do most of my exercising in the morning or if I am too tired I'll wait til dark and walk the neighbourhood with my dog.

Must admit, reading this thread and the concerns some of you have makes me feel pretty lucky living in Australia.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    I had an app that used gps to track my location and I configured it to message my parents when I left for my run and when I came back. If they wanted they could see me on a map, and if I stopped moving for more than 5 minutes it would warn me. If no response, it would send out an alarm to my contacts with last known location.

It was really cool, but I injured my hip and stopped running for a long time.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I run alone pretty much all the time. I live in a really urban setting though - so with street lights and house lights and such it's hardly ever actually "dark" in the neighbourhood I live in.

What I don't do is run outside once winter really, really hits. I live in Southwestern Ontario and we can get some pretty insane winters in terms of icey sidewalks and roads . . . I'm just not interested in slipping and breaking something. I know a lot of people run all winter outside without issue, but I head inside when it gets to that point. Other than that, I run outside by myself a lot of the year. No issues yet.

I run with headphones, and I have a running watch with a GPS signal in it incase anything happens. I don't usually carry a phone, I know I should, but I carry my keys in a secret pocket of my running pants which has a whistle on it. Since I don't run in secluded areas, if I blew the whistle someone would hear it because my city is really urban and there's always people around.