when no one else in the house wants to change eating habits

Options
i am learning to manage this .. my three full grown teen boys eat everything that is not nailed down and then some ..they can care less about eating healthy. they are all on sports teams and burn it off easily and see no consequences in their eating habits. i have tried to explain the healthy reasons why i am making my own changes but as typical teens think they are invincible. so for me i started making up food for myself and put it in the fridge.. when we had burgers the other night i had a burger too but on a spring greens and spinach salad , no cheese no dressing ..only vinegar and a tbl of olive oil and beets . i was full and glad i didnt eat the fries and bread and cheese .. if i did not prepare stuff ahead of time then i would've had what they had .. preparation is the key to all this in my eyes

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also, curious why you did vinegar and olive oil instead of ketchup and mustard? Mustard is like 3 calories for a tsp. and ketchup is like 20 calories for a tbsp. Way less than olive oil.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I am the cook in the house. It is amazing how my teenage daughters and husband got into cooking if they didn't want what I was cooking. Now we take turns cooking balanced meals and if they cook something that is more calorie dense I eat less of it or fix my own. We plan the menu together on the weekend for the coming week.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    Like @crzycatlady1 , I also eat the same foods as those in my household, just smaller amounts. I did start substituting guacamole on my cheeseburger for mayo, before I would have both. But I still eat the bun. A burger isn't a burger without the bun. It is just grilled beef, which is also good, just not the same.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also, curious why you did vinegar and olive oil instead of ketchup and mustard? Mustard is like 3 calories for a tsp. and ketchup is like 20 calories for a tbsp. Way less than olive oil.

I think the oil and vinegar were salad dressing for the spinach salad.

My husband needs 1000 calories/day more than me so I tend to take a similar approach. I'll eat the burger but usually avoid the fries (or just have a few). Or we'll have salad or kale chips with our burgers.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am the cook in the house. It is amazing how my teenage daughters and husband got into cooking if they didn't want what I was cooking. Now we take turns cooking balanced meals and if they cook something that is more calorie dense I eat less of it or fix my own. We plan the menu together on the weekend for the coming week.

Thats similar to my thoughts. When I was a teenager I ate what I was given and if I didn't like it I knew i'd need to get a job and take a trip to the local shops!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I think the oil and vinegar were salad dressing for the spinach salad.

My husband needs 1000 calories/day more than me so I tend to take a similar approach. I'll eat the burger but usually avoid the fries (or just have a few). Or we'll have salad or kale chips with our burgers.

Ah that makes sense but olive oil is calorie dense though, there's lots of low calorie dressings out there that have less calories (I use one that's like 20 calories for 2tbsp). Still confused as to why putting ketchup and mustard on a hamburger is a no no, since they're both low calorie condiments?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same thing. It's hard to go wrong when you base your meals around meat and vegetables. A little extra fat for flavor and to keep me satisfied between meals and I'm good to go.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I too eat mainly what my family eats. I enjoy sweet potatoes and they do not so I often bake one for myself while I bake regular potatoes for them. I have to watch my portions though. If they have burgers I'm having one but I'll skip the bacon and save those calories for some fries. Planning ahead is key. I have diabetes so there are times where I do have to radically adjust my meal away from family's meal but that is definitely not the norm.

I honestly don't ask anyone else in the house to change anything. All I ask is that they respect that I have to eat in a certain way to maintain tight control of my diabetes and to respect my food choices as much as I respect theirs. My husband is very overweight and I wouldn't ever think to talk to him about his habits. If he wants to change his habits he will. I want him to make choices because he loves himself, not to appease me.

I'm glad you have found something that works for you. There is a local restaurant that has a "naked burger salad" and I LOVE it. It is the burger on a salad base with bleu cheese and matchstick fries. I don't get the matchstick fries because that's not really my thing, but I get everything else! It is very good and makes a perfect lighter dinner.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

because i dont want ketchup or mustard on my greens .. the hamburger was good the way it was . i made a pub burger with onion, worschester sauce and a bit of ketchup and oatmeal (instead of breadcrumbs).. i had tomato on the salad so i used that with the burger instead .. and i needed some healthy fat so i use the olive oil ....fyi i love ketchup !!!!!!!!
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    maryjay52 wrote: »

because i dont want ketchup or mustard on my greens .. the hamburger was good the way it was . i made a pub burger with onion, worschester sauce and a bit of ketchup and oatmeal (instead of breadcrumbs).. i had tomato on the salad so i used that with the burger instead .. and i needed some healthy fat so i use the olive oil ....fyi i love ketchup !!!!!!!!

I'm an oil and vinegar dressing gal. I like it very simple. I actually enjoy the taste of the salad itself and don't like to cover it too much.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Sounds like you and your family have different views on being healthy. Also why should they change their habits? They don't sound any worse than yours.

because i was like them at one time ...extremely athletic and ate crap on top of all my meals ..and it got me to 300lbs at one time in my life so i am more just trying to make them aware of what can happen .. and so i opted to stop buying junk food ..i told them if they want junk food to get a job and buy it ...which they do :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    maryjay52 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Sounds like you and your family have different views on being healthy. Also why should they change their habits? They don't sound any worse than yours.

because i was like them at one time ...extremely athletic and ate crap on top of all my meals ..and it got me to 300lbs at one time in my life so i am more just trying to make them aware of what can happen .. and so i opted to stop buying junk food ..i told them if they want junk food to get a job and buy it ...which they do :)

But, junk food doesn't make you fat. Eating too much food does even if it what you consider "healthy".

Like cwolfman13 said, if they are very active they need calories.

I eat a lot and I'm at least twice their age. I eat a lot of ice cream and donuts and everything yet I'm not 300lbs because I'm active too. Just something to think about.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have it sorted - you eat the quantity or combination of foods that works for you, and the rest of your family will do the same. You must have vastly different calorie requirements, and while it's good that you are flagging and demonstrating healthy eating, they have a lot more room in their calories to fit in a bit of junk while still getting good nutrition.

I suspect that as teenagers they aren't going to pay a lot of attention to what you say anyway, so I'd just keep on setting a good example by providing a good variety of nutritious food for them, and hope they store away this info for when they are out on their own.

You are definitely right that preparation is important - if you are the one doing most of the shopping and the cooking, then it shouldn't be hard to plan meals where you can substitute or reduce quantities of items that don't fit into your calorie goals for the day, while still filling up your growing boys.
    I wouldn't harp on what you are doing though - evangelism (no matter what the subject) can be extremely annoying, and will probably make them more resistant to listening to you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods as everyone else in this house, and I don't expect anyone to change their eating habits just because I am losing weight. That's silly. I am losing weight for me. My family can support me in other ways and they can do whatever they like. I cannot and don't control them.

There are no foods that cause weight gain. Eating too many calories (eating more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight) is how everyone can become overweight and obese. Don't blame the food. It's ALL about calories. I've lost the bulk of my weight eating junk foods such as chocolate and cheesy puffs alongside nutritious foods (I do eat mostly nutritious foods, though, but if I want a chocolate bar, I will have it). No regrets. Fat doesn't make you fat (it is essential, actually), protein doesn't make us fat (another essential) and carbs certainly do not make us fat. Sometimes I eat a LOT of carbs and still lose weight.

It is ALL about calories. Forget all you've learned about weight loss. Calories are king for weight loss.

There are not god foods or bad foods. Food is food. I eat nutritious and 'junk' food. I just make sure to weigh everything and log it.