Eating after 6pm?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Eat whatchoo wanna eat when you wanna eat it. Like a minute before you go to bed, even.

As so many others have said... that after 6 thing is a Bro wearing a lab coat.

That's something I'd like to see.

You needed only ask:

kyclj738jz7l.jpg

That is everything I hoped it would be. Thank you.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think this idea comes from the fact that some people experience sleep difficulties when eating too close to their bed time. Hence it isn't a good idea to eat latter in the evening. If eating later in the evening doesn't affect your ability to sleep, leave you feeling super hungry in the afternoon, or make you under or over full before your next meal, there is no reason not to eat after 6pm assuming that is a convenient time for you to eat.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal (right now its fruit loops) as I sit in bed at night - last thing I do before I go to sleep - been sleeping like the dead since I started doing that
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Myth. Meal timing makes no difference. Calories are what matter. Unless you get heartburn or something eating too close to bedtime but otherwise, total nonsense.

This is right on. What matters is that at the end of the day you're at your calorie target :)
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Eating too late in the evening is only an issue for my acid reflux at night. It has never affected my weight loss.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner, every night, after 8PM. No issues with it for me. My day pans out like this...

9AM Breakfast

11AM almonds

noon to 1 - Lunch

5PM Hummus and vegetables

8PM Dinner
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    9:30 and I just finished dinner. Six nights a week I never eat dinner before 7. It's never affected my weight loss one bit.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat my last little meal at 7:30. Doesn't hurt a thing. Do what makes sense for you and your schedule.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I just finished a brilliant taco salad. 11:40pm here!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Myth!
    Eat when you want.
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I work nights so everything i eat is after 6pm
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another thing to think about when you hear these time limits is this ...

Who's 6 pm?

I'm in Australia, on the east side. It will be 6 pm here in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Is that when we should all stop eating? What time will it be where you are in 1 hour and 45 minutes?

Or should we use the Greenwich timeline? Or the International Dateline?

What happens when Daylight Savings comes or goes? Do you need to stop eating at 5 pm for half the year ... or 7 pm?

What happens when you travel? Do you go by your home time zone ... or the one you travel to?

Lol i always laugh at this point. As if your body goes" OH MY GOD ITS 6PM MUST SHUT DOWN METABOLISM!" lmao. time of day is a human creation. Your body doesn't give a *kitten* about time its just hungry XD
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think the logic of restricting eating after 6pm is a lot of people tend to snack/overeat/binge later in the evening. It could be because you're typically at home so you are relaxing and the fridge is a way too short walk away, whereas during the day you're often out and not necessarily conveniently near snack food. Like, if I'm not careful I can have a bowl of popcorn with cheese while watching a movie and a glass of wine or two and then maybe some chocolate and boom--way over my calorie limit.

But it's not that eating after 6pm is *bad* inherently, especially if you have self control and don't tend to nighttime binge. I try not to eat after 8 if I can help it, simply because I don't trust myself one bit :)
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have my main meal very late most weekdays because of my partner's job. around 11pm, often. For me, the issue with it is that I get hungry earlier, so need a snack early evening.

When I've got things under control, like now, I budget for that in my calorie allowance, but it is probably one of the things that led to creeping weight gain in the first place.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another thing to think about when you hear these time limits is this ...

Who's 6 pm?

I'm in Australia, on the east side. It will be 6 pm here in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Is that when we should all stop eating? What time will it be where you are in 1 hour and 45 minutes?

Or should we use the Greenwich timeline? Or the International Dateline?

What happens when Daylight Savings comes or goes? Do you need to stop eating at 5 pm for half the year ... or 7 pm?

What happens when you travel? Do you go by your home time zone ... or the one you travel to?

Hell yeah, I'd be in trouble. I'm on the west coast of Aus but travelling to the east coast next week. There is a time difference plus daylight saving on the east coast but not at home. If I stop eating at 6pm Sydney time, that's only 3pm in my home time. That's really not going to work for me!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Now for most people, coffee after 6 pm, likely a bad idea. Not for calories but for disrupting sleep. (Note: does not apply to people who work late shifts or people with ADHD.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat after 6 pm, but that's because that's what I'm used to. I did this before weight loss and I do this during weight loss, and I will likely continue doing it after weight loss. It has not magically stop me from reaching 300 pounds because I still ate too much food before 6pm back then. Eat whenever you are used to eating, but if not eating after 6 helps make dieting easier for you then do that. Anything else you might have heard is either useless noise or not significant enough to bother.