Has anyone successfully managed to switch to a higher weight maintenance?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited November 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I think I'm starting to realize that it might just not possible for me to maintain 135 pounds. I'm just too hungry and miserable because the only way to maintain is to really deprive myself...

Has anyone been in the same situation, gained back a few pounds, then managed to maintain that weight successfully? I'm hoping that maybe my hunger will calm down if I gain a couple pounds back? My main worry obviously is that I'll end up gaining the weight back because the hunger won't go away (I've been around 133-135 for 2.5 years now). I'm 5'5" so it's hardly too little.

Man, I knew it would be hard, but I didn't except to be so miserable and worried all the time. I've hardly had any days when I'm not hungry in the last couple months (my cycles have been 3 weeks instead of 4, which totally sucks). I still hit my protein, fat, and fiber goals most days, but it seems that as soon as I eat a treat, even if it's just a 200 calorie one, I end up too hungry and end up going over by 200 at the end of the day.

I know that hunger isn't necessarily bad, but I get dizzy and just feel awful most of the time when I am (except that one week a month when it doesn't bother me, but that hasn't happened in 2 months now).

I don't believe my goal is too low but who knows? I've calculated my TDEE at 2200, but I don't seem to lose if I go under 2000, or to gain if eat 2300 for a week, so it's just confusing to me. I do 1.5 hour of cycling/uphill walking every day in average, some lifting 2x a week or less, with a rest day every 10 days or so, and other than that it's normal household work, cooking, groceries etc. I've been eating closer to 235-2400 calories a day for 2 weeks now (but I'm PMSing too, so there's that).

You'd think I would stress out less about it after this time.. but nope.

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    There was a time when my weight was stable, I was never hungry, and was not food obsessed per se. That was when I was 210lbs. Makes sense, for a person of my height (5'5"), that was a decent number of calories for a very lightly active lifestyle.

I've accepted that it will always probably be a struggle for me to not be obese. Gaining more weight won't really help because I will just adapt and want more until I am 210lbs again. This is just me, just saying.

I second seeing a doctor to make sure something else isn't going on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep! I got down to my goal weight of 143lbs last year, and it was an exhausting struggle to stay there. I now hover between 148-150lbs and this weight seems to match up perfectly with my natural appetite. I've all but given up trying to get down to my goal weight.. for now. For reference I'm 5"8.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think I'm starting to realize that it might just not possible for me to maintain 135 pounds. I'm just too hungry and miserable because the only way to maintain is to really deprive myself...

Has anyone been in the same situation, gained back a few pounds, then managed to maintain that weight successfully? I'm hoping that maybe my hunger will calm down if I gain a couple pounds back? My main worry obviously is that I'll end up gaining the weight back because the hunger won't go away (I've been around 133-135 for 2.5 years now). I'm 5'5" so it's hardly too little.

Man, I knew it would be hard, but I didn't except to be so miserable and worried all the time. I've hardly had any days when I'm not hungry in the last couple months (my cycles have been 3 weeks instead of 4, which totally sucks). I still hit my protein, fat, and fiber goals most days, but it seems that as soon as I eat a treat, even if it's just a 200 calorie one, I end up too hungry and end up going over by 200 at the end of the day.

I know that hunger isn't necessarily bad, but I get dizzy and just feel awful most of the time when I am (except that one week a month when it doesn't bother me, but that hasn't happened in 2 months now).

I don't believe my goal is too low but who knows? I've calculated my TDEE at 2200, but I don't seem to lose if I go under 2000, or to gain if eat 2300 for a week, so it's just confusing to me. I do 1.5 hour of cycling/uphill walking every day in average, some lifting 2x a week or less, with a rest day every 10 days or so, and other than that it's normal household work, cooking, groceries etc. I've been eating closer to 235-2400 calories a day for 2 weeks now (but I'm PMSing too, so there's that).

You'd think I would stress out less about it after this time.. but nope.

Yes...I was down to 175 for a time and it was rough...180 was really pretty easy. Of course, that had a lot to do with my alcohol consumption...I had to curb it more to maintain 175...not so much at 180...at that time I wasn't interested in curbing it.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah but that's the issue too though - I still have to be miserable and deprive myself to maintain a lower carb diet. I hate it! And it doesn't always work either, like 2 days ago I only had 11g of carbs for breakfast (from an apple! rest was eggs and sausage) and I was starving after 2 hours... I have to completely change my diet for it to work and it's really not a long term solution at all (plus I have to seriously deprive myself to do that. I like carbs. I still try to make them whole grains/fruit/veggies as much as possible).

I also was never able to handle too much fat (I would get diarrhea and/or stomach pains, two doctors never figured out what the problem was).

So yeah. Plus I can't wrap my head about the fact that I have to restrict more now than when I was losing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah but that's the issue too though - I still have to be miserable and deprive myself to maintain a lower carb diet. I hate it! And it doesn't always work either, like 2 days ago I only had 11g of carbs for breakfast (from an apple! rest was eggs and sausage) and I was starving after 2 hours... I have to completely change my diet for it to work and it's really not a long term solution at all (plus I have to seriously deprive myself to do that. I like carbs. I still try to make them whole grains/fruit/veggies as much as possible).

I also was never able to handle too much fat (I would get diarrhea and/or stomach pains, two doctors never figured out what the problem was).

So yeah. Plus I can't wrap my head about the fact that I have to restrict more now than when I was losing.

so gain back to 140 and see how you get on and how that feels?

I am 136lbs as of today and losing slowly but consistently (my happy weight is 130-133ish), and can manage on around net 1900 to maintain.

being dizzy all the time doesn't sound right, i agree with see a doctor for that.

sounds like you need a break from the mental torture you have created for yourself.
  • Francl27
    edited November 2016
    Options

I am 136lbs as of today and losing slowly but consistently (my happy weight is 130-133ish), and can manage on around net 1900 to maintain.

being dizzy all the time doesn't sound right, i agree with see a doctor for that.

sounds like you need a break from the mental torture you have created for yourself.

Yeah but a break is not an option if I end up gaining weight...

I have to schedule my yearly check up though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories would satisfy you?
    You could always work out what weight you would be at your ideal calorie intake and go from there.

I also wonder if cutting back the cardio may help decrease your appetite. Try dropping to 1 hr 3-4 days cardio, 2-3 days resistance training, and a day off each week. 1 day in 10 may not give you enough recovery- stress may be a factor.

There is also reverse dieting. Slowly up your calories by 50-100 a day hold at that intake for a week or two then up them again. Do this until you see a consistent weight gain then drop back your last increase so you maintain at the weight you are at but with more food.
    (I did this over 2 month and gained an extra 150 cals)

You could do this but apply it to the exercise side of things too. Reduce exercise slowly maintaining your calorie intake.

And remember no one else will probably notice that you have gained 5lbs (if that is what it takes to fend off the hunger) unless you get your weight tattooed on your forehead.

Cheers, h.

Glad a check up is on the books.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about bulk & cut cycles with strength training?
  • Francl27
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ever thought about bulk & cut cycles with strength training?

Unfortunately part of the maintaining mindset for me is that I need to do something that is sustainable. I hate strength training... I still do it about 20 minutes 3x a week but it's a real chore for me. And considering that I haven't been able to cut to lose my last 5 pounds in over 2 years, it's safe to say that the cutting part is just never going to happen, lol.

About how many calories make me satisfied - it really completely changes from day to day and where I am in my cycle, unfortunately. Some days I'm happy on 1300, some days I need 2600. It's been averaging out more or less but it's a problem when the 'not hungry' days are few.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

so you wont consider gaining some weight back?
  • Francl27
    Options

so you wont consider gaining some weight back?

Not on purpose, no, lol. It's going to happen at this rate though.