Alternatives to Sandwiches?

Options
monkeystyxx
monkeystyxx Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Most of my diet has become pretty good certainly, a lot better than before, but I know bread - even delicious multigrain lovely bread - is pretty bad when trying to lose weight.

What do you guys do for a quick take-to-work lunch that doesn't involve bread?

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Since I can no longer have bread (celiac) I grab lunch meat and cheese. This is, if I forgot to make my lunch for the next day. Most of the time I make extra dinner and after eating put it away for my lunch and another goes in freezer for later lunch.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    fruit
  • camiev
    camiev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They make lower calorie breads. PF makes a 40cal "very thin whole wheat", Healthy Life makes a 35cal whole wheat high fiber. Or you could use Xtreme Wellness tortilla wraps. My absolute last minute cheat used to be those single serve premade chicken caesar salads without the dressing and half the croutons.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have lettuce wrapped around the fillings

Tonight I had warm tuna and melted cheese wrapped in lettuce with a little low fat Mayo
    Very yummy!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to restrict carbs/gluten, bread isn't bad. I eat bread a few times a week, but I've also found substitutes for when I want to save calories, such as an 80-calorie whole wheat tortilla.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    IDK...bread is fine when you're losing weight so long as it doesn't cause you to go over your calories. I have sandwiches pretty regularly.

You could do the whole lettuce wrap thing if you like, but I think it's pretty lame as far as actually being a viable sandwich substitute.

I suppose some people don't like spending their calories on bread, but that's a different matter all together. You can pry my sourdough from my cold dead hands...
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have Ryvita crisp bread with cheese and tomato. I found it a good substitute for bread. I know if you count the calories in for bread then it is fine, but I found it easier to cut it out. Took my lunch calorie count down so I could have the dinners that I wanted. So I have 4 Ryvita's, 2 slices of cheese (half a slice on each Ryvita) and tomato on top and it comes to about 250 calories.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of a rice or other salad, then add a 'filling' such as boiled egg, feta cheese, tuna, ham etc for variety. I haven't eaten sandwiches for years, not because of any avoidance of bread on a weightloss thing (I love a decent sourdough or a freshly made white loaf), but due to horrible memories of brown bread with a thin, dry, desperate for saliva coating of cream cheese as a child.

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Like others said, bread won't stop you from losing weight. There's no reason you can't eat a sandwich. That being said, I focus on meeting my protein goals and sometimes I find that if I eat a sandwich then my protein ends up being low for the day. An option I love are these flat bread things, I think they're called protein up or something like that? They're only 90 calories but have increased protein and they're actually huge. I will put chicken, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes and have this enormous wrap that is hardly any calories.

I also prep salads at home and bring them to work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Low carb wraps are a great alternative for days when you can't fit bread in your calories.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Most of my diet has become pretty good certainly, a lot better than before, but I know bread - even delicious multigrain lovely bread - is pretty bad when trying to lose weight.

What do you guys do for a quick take-to-work lunch that doesn't involve bread?

Lettuce wrap is the closest alternative.

Try a tuna bowl, burrito bowl, chicken salad on a bed of lettuce...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like Gemwraps and they're available on Amazon. I also actually like sandwich thins. There's nothing wrong with bread, but having a couple lower-calorie options on hand is helpful!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I tend to do Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, and so on frozen lunches. I know they aren't ideal but they have a predictable set of calories, attempt to put in some veggies, and are convenient.

Bread is NOT the enemy! Yeah, 2 slices of sandwich bread can be almost 200 calories if you're not careful. But High fiber, high protein wraps or 100 calorie wraps are easy to work around.

Don't forget soup for the winter months! A good (generally clear) soup is often reasonable in calories, can come with veggies, easy to make and great to stick in your desk or pantry at work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Bread made from flour can make me sleepy or binge-y. However, I do not have this problem with bread make from sprouted grains, from brands like Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. The latter's Flax bread is only 50 calories per slice. https://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/storelocator

But if I was avoiding bread altogether and working in a facility with a microwave I would take dinner leftovers.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've been buying 110 calorie hamburger buns from Aunt Millie''s when I want a sandwich with bread. Otherwise, wraps are a pretty good alternative, or just having the fixins in a salad form.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I love bread. If it fits into your calories why lose it? Delicious. If your worried maybe make half a sandwich and add some veggies on the side? No point though