Snacks

Options
I am a person that seems to have to have snacks while I am at work. But now that I am starting MFP I am not sure on healthy snacks.. In the past I would have chips and popcorn. Any ideas??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to have snacks. Eat snacks if you want to, just fit them into your calorie budget. MFP is not a prison.
  • maryokupniak
    maryokupniak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... but what are low calorie snacks??? i don't want to deprive myself.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... but what are low calorie snacks??? i don't want to deprive myself.

When I want a lower calorie snack, I'll have vegetables (carrots, bell pepper strips, snap peas, broccoli, etc) with some salsa. Some people like to snack on fruit -- I find that if I eat fruit by itself it doesn't satisfy my hunger very well, but it may work for you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You can still enjoy the snacks you normally do if you fit them into your calorie allowance - however what I've found for filling snacks are things like greek yogurt with berries/fruit/ peanut butter with apple/Nuts/ and if I feel like it I still enjoy chocolate in the form of a snack sized 100 cal bar..sometimes I'll eat go crazy and have two :smiley: but its all good as they always fit into my cal budget.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am with you in the desire to snack at work.

So far what's working for me is portioning out snacks that fit into my calorie goals for the day. Popcorn (not from a bag, popped on the stove), crispy minis, carrots, cucumber, nuts, hardboiled eggs, clementines. Today I budgeted for a small bag of chips and a can of regular-octane Pepsi.

But definitely portion out anything that comes in a big bag, because for me a lot of snacking is just mindlessly munching and it's easier to control that if I can eat everything in the container in front of me without worrying.

But 'mindless munching' is part of the problem, which is why I'm trying to make mindful eating part of my wellness plan along with diet and exercise. Really taking the time to enjoy what I'm eating, not just eating it because it's there.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like. If you want filling then of course veggies are great. If you want something sweet fruit is good and I sometimes buy Special K 100 calorie fruit bars (I admit not much nutrition there but tasty). Fibre 1 bars. If you like salty I buy the Boom Chick a Pop seasalt version for 125 calories in 3 cups. String cheese is great if you buy the low fat version; 60 calories for most. Dill pickles believe it or not can be very satisfying. If you have a few more calories to spend I buy turkey lunch meat (naturals) and with a tsp or so of low fat cream cheese and a slice of dill pickled rolled up it is awesome and filling. Some of these things assume a fridge or cooler bag if you don't have access to either you are a bit more restricted to prepackaged things. Good luck!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite low-cal snack. I buy the 100 - 130 calorie bags. So yummy!
  • cocates77
    cocates77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous posters. Try googling low cal snacks to see your options. I'm a crunchy kinda girl, so I weighed out crackers, chips, nuts, etc. I also keep tuna packets at my cubicle (sweet Thai is my fave). I eat whatever I can fit into my daily cals total. I'm mindful of the cals I eats for snacks so I'll have enough for each meal to keep me full.

Check these out and see if any strike your fancy. HTH! :)

http://greatist.com/health/100-calorie-snacks