Not all calories are equal

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the overall sentiment of OP's post was intended to be extrapolated to a generalization along the lines of "Some people have experienced that WHAT your diet is comprised of may make a difference towards health and fat loss."

No, it was based on an alleged difference between 42 calories per day of Nestle syrup+cream vs. 42 calories of creamer.

I'm still curious about the mechanism, or how that difference has any real effect on "what your diet is comprised of." In fact, this is one of many reasons posts like this get the reaction they do: OP is claiming that she lost weight or gained with the same calories based on using different stuff in her coffee. That is her evidence that "calories aren't equal." To extrapolate to a bigger point, the argument seems to be that consuming creamer (because "not real food" or what, I dunno) makes you gain, even if at a deficit, which I see no reason at all to believe. Moreover, it suggests that eating a good diet (a separate topic from weight loss, but one I am interested in) is not about consuming the majority of your calories from nutrient dense foods, getting adequate protein, healthy fats, plenty of fiber, and lots of vegetables, stuff like that, but about completely avoiding creamer. That approach to nutrition is, IMO, not particularly well-informed. (And certainly has nothing to do with calories not being equal, which they are, even though foods, of course, differ.)

But hey, I never eat creamer (like my coffee black), so maybe that's why I lost weight.

Then again, I never eat Nestle chocolate syrup. Maybe if I added it I'd magically start losing again, even without a deficit? Cool!

I guess I'm trying to steer the discussion away from that godforesaken creamer. Hard to believe such an infantesmal portion of one's diet can have any significant effects with other variables kept constant. I think we all agree on that.

But OP apparently doesn't, and I see such claims here all the time, so I am not sure that's at all clear.
    I guess on a more practical level, I wanted to take the discussion to a different place. Do some people find that changing what they eat affects weight loss?

It's a way to control calories, sure. But that doesn't support OP's statement, and I think it's important to show the fact that ideas of magic foods that make you fat (in any amount) and foods that make you thin (regardless of calories) needs to be combated, because it's so common.

If you wanted to start a thread about how food choice can be an approach to weight loss or maintenance or that one way to deal with societal obesity would be by encouraging healthy overall diets or some such, I'd probably agree with a lot that you say, but I see that as a separate topic and not support for OP's claims, either about the creamer or calories not being equal.

(Personally, I lost weight once by changing how I ate, really mostly going back to how I ate growing up (whole foods based, mostly, reasonable amount of protein, lots of vegetables) with some additional twists. I later learned that I could gain weight even eating the "wholesome" foods I was, for the most part, but find it easier to avoid doing so without counting if I focus on a healthy diet and portions and don't snack much. Sometimes I like counting, sometimes I don't. And calories ARE equal.) ;-)

Not looking for an exact answer to this because none of us can truly address this with certainty (at least I can't pretend to)- but I do wonder why obesity was much rarer in the times when we had no idea what a calorie was.

Food was less available for a lot of reasons and activity was higher.

I think that's one explanation yes. It's one that addresses the issue of quantity (re: food and movement). But I think quality also plays a role. Maybe a big role.

I'm referring to foods that are more in line with what our body expect - whole foods vs "created" foods. That profile has changed over time.

I'm also referring to movement that is more in line with what our body expects - lots of varied low level movement throughout the day with occasional bursts of intense effort vs prolonged sedentary periods interrupted with attempts of sustained "cardio".

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone tried to stick with whole foods, tried not to sit still for prolonged periods, and undertook the occasional intense brief workout.... without counting calories or really feeling too hungry or worn down....(essentially, not having to exert any willpower)... yet had good results?

My family tree is filled with overweight/ obese people, going back several generations. These are people who were farmers and manual laborers mostly, and had demanding physical lifestyles. My great grandma died, having never eaten a fast food meal. She died obese. I've seen first hand how a whole foods diet can lead to weight gains. Ironically, I eat a lot of fast food, processed foods, foods with hfcs/sugar etc and I'm the only one in my family who's reversed high glucose numbers and stopped the progression of pre-diabetes. Type 2 diabetes has wreaked havoc in my family and when I was diagnosed with pre-type2, my doctor told me is was genetics. But fast forward 50lbs lost, and my glucose numbers are consistently under 100 now. All my other blood work/blood pressure is great too. Go figure :p
  • lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the overall sentiment of OP's post was intended to be extrapolated to a generalization along the lines of "Some people have experienced that WHAT your diet is comprised of may make a difference towards health and fat loss."

No, it was based on an alleged difference between 42 calories per day of Nestle syrup+cream vs. 42 calories of creamer.

I'm still curious about the mechanism, or how that difference has any real effect on "what your diet is comprised of." In fact, this is one of many reasons posts like this get the reaction they do: OP is claiming that she lost weight or gained with the same calories based on using different stuff in her coffee. That is her evidence that "calories aren't equal." To extrapolate to a bigger point, the argument seems to be that consuming creamer (because "not real food" or what, I dunno) makes you gain, even if at a deficit, which I see no reason at all to believe. Moreover, it suggests that eating a good diet (a separate topic from weight loss, but one I am interested in) is not about consuming the majority of your calories from nutrient dense foods, getting adequate protein, healthy fats, plenty of fiber, and lots of vegetables, stuff like that, but about completely avoiding creamer. That approach to nutrition is, IMO, not particularly well-informed. (And certainly has nothing to do with calories not being equal, which they are, even though foods, of course, differ.)

But hey, I never eat creamer (like my coffee black), so maybe that's why I lost weight.

Then again, I never eat Nestle chocolate syrup. Maybe if I added it I'd magically start losing again, even without a deficit? Cool!

I guess I'm trying to steer the discussion away from that godforesaken creamer. Hard to believe such an infantesmal portion of one's diet can have any significant effects with other variables kept constant. I think we all agree on that.

But OP apparently doesn't, and I see such claims here all the time, so I am not sure that's at all clear.
    I guess on a more practical level, I wanted to take the discussion to a different place. Do some people find that changing what they eat affects weight loss?

It's a way to control calories, sure. But that doesn't support OP's statement, and I think it's important to show the fact that ideas of magic foods that make you fat (in any amount) and foods that make you thin (regardless of calories) needs to be combated, because it's so common.

If you wanted to start a thread about how food choice can be an approach to weight loss or maintenance or that one way to deal with societal obesity would be by encouraging healthy overall diets or some such, I'd probably agree with a lot that you say, but I see that as a separate topic and not support for OP's claims, either about the creamer or calories not being equal.

(Personally, I lost weight once by changing how I ate, really mostly going back to how I ate growing up (whole foods based, mostly, reasonable amount of protein, lots of vegetables) with some additional twists. I later learned that I could gain weight even eating the "wholesome" foods I was, for the most part, but find it easier to avoid doing so without counting if I focus on a healthy diet and portions and don't snack much. Sometimes I like counting, sometimes I don't. And calories ARE equal.) ;-)

Not looking for an exact answer to this because none of us can truly address this with certainty (at least I can't pretend to)- but I do wonder why obesity was much rarer in the times when we had no idea what a calorie was.

I think that's one explanation yes. It's one that addresses the issue of quantity (re: food and movement). But I think quality also plays a role. Maybe a big role.

I'm referring to foods that are more in line with what our body expect - whole foods vs "created" foods. That profile has changed over time.

I'm also referring to movement that is more in line with what our body expects - lots of varied low level movement throughout the day with occasional bursts of intense effort vs prolonged sedentary periods interrupted with attempts of sustained "cardio".

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone tried to stick with whole foods, tried not to sit still for prolonged periods, and undertook the occasional intense brief workout.... without counting calories or really feeling too hungry or worn down....(essentially, not having to exert any willpower)... yet had good results?

Sure, lots of people.
    Others had good results with doing attempts of sustained "cardio" that interrupt prolonged sedentariness because their job is that way.
    Others had good results not wasting a thought about whether their food is whole foods or not.
    Others had good results counting calories.
    And others have combined multiple of those things. We've had plenty success stories of all kinds of people. Including a guy who ate almost exclusively junk food for half a year and counted calories and lost weight just to show that you can do that.

The one thing all of those successful people have in common is that their calorie burns were greater than their intake either from eating less, moving more or both.

Yes, agreed. There are many ways to weight loss. Including genetics. I think we all know a string bean that pigs out day and night and just gets leaner.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the whole health picture when I asked about results. That includes weight, but I also include management of chronic disease, energy, mental focus in the overall picture of "health".

Regarding that last guy that you mentioned, I have no doubt that one can lose weight (fat and I'm sure other crucial tissue) almost exclusively on junk food by counting calories. Many factors probably give rise to such a possibility. I'm curious. Do people still count that as a success story?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Sure, lots of people.
    Others had good results with doing attempts of sustained "cardio" that interrupt prolonged sedentariness because their job is that way.
    Others had good results not wasting a thought about whether their food is whole foods or not.
    And others have combined multiple of those things. We've had plenty success stories of all kinds of people. Including a guy who ate almost exclusively junk food for half a year and counted calories and lost weight just to show that you can do that.

The one thing all of those successful people have in common is that their calorie burns were greater than their intake either from eating less, moving more or both.

Yes, agreed. There are many ways to weight loss. Including genetics. I think we all know a string bean that pigs out day and night and just gets leaner.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the whole health picture when I asked about results. That includes weight, but I also include management of chronic disease, energy, mental focus in the overall picture of "health".

Regarding that last guy that you mentioned, I have no doubt that one can lose weight (fat and I'm sure other crucial tissue) almost exclusively on junk food by counting calories. Many factors probably give rise to such a possibility. I'm curious. Do people still count that as a success story?

You can look at him and ask him yourself if he lost "other crucial tissue".
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest
    The answer to all your concerns is yes, as a multitude of successful people can assure you.

Regarding the bolded, that's another can of worms that has been discussed to death. They don't actually exist.

Sure, lots of people.

You can look at him and ask him yourself if he lost "other crucial tissue".
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest
    The answer to all your concerns is yes, as a multitude of successful people can assure you.

Regarding the bolded, that's another can of worms that has been discussed to death. They don't actually exist.

Ok, fair enough. I wasn't just talking about muscle tissue as crucial tissue (internal organs are more important to me), but you made your point that he's not physically incapacitated that's for sure. I too know guys who are absolutely shredded that pretty much live on junk food. Not my kind of thing mind you... I'd rather have my insides be in as good as or better condition than my outsides.

Regardless, I am interested in what people define as success in this area of life, so thanks for taking the time to answer. It seems that my background is a bit different than the majority here, but I think no matter what path you choose, if the way you do things and the way you think about things makes you happy and satisfied, and at the end of the day, you feel good, then what you are doing is working and worth your time and effort.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yes, for me success is being a healthy weight and able to sustain it happily, feeling energetic, having no medical issues that could be influenced by diet, being able to pursue my exercise/training goals (mostly running and biking, but some weight stuff). In the long term, to keep up muscle mass as I age, continue improving BF% and to stay active.

I doubt choosing one creamer over another is going to make a difference to these goals, but since I like my coffee black I have not given it much thought! ;-)

I find slightly annoying -- but perhaps it's not intended? -- the suggestion that if we acknowledge the truth, that calories are equal (although food is different and you can have better and worse diets, which vary somewhat based on the individual and particular health issues I am sure), that we must not be concerned about our insides. What I have found is that for me, at least, focusing solely on eating a super healthy (or "clean" or "natural" or "whole foods based") diet in all ways but calories, well, does not always allow me to meet all my goals, as I can still get fat. The assumption that someone who gets fat must be making specific stereotypical food choices (as opposed to simply choosing too much food) is unwarranted. And putting that in a thread about the vast superiority of Nestle chocolate syrup+cream to creamer in coffee is particularly puzzling to me.
    Yes, for me success is being a healthy weight and able to sustain it happily, feeling energetic, having no medical issues that could be influenced by diet, being able to pursue my exercise/training goals (mostly running and biking, but some weight stuff). In the long term, to keep up muscle mass as I age, continue improving BF% and to stay active.

I doubt choosing one creamer over another is going to make a difference to these goals, but since I like my coffee black I have not given it much thought! ;-)

I find slightly annoying -- but perhaps it's not intended? -- the suggestion that if we acknowledge the truth, that calories are equal (although food is different and you can have better and worse diets, which vary somewhat based on the individual and particular health issues I am sure), that we must not be concerned about our insides. What I have found is that for me, at least, focusing solely on eating a super healthy (or "clean" or "natural" or "whole foods based") diet in all ways but calories, well, does not always allow me to meet all my goals, as I can still get fat. The assumption that someone who gets fat must be making specific stereotypical food choices (as opposed to simply choosing too much food) is unwarranted. And putting that in a thread about the vast superiority of Nestle chocolate syrup+cream to creamer in coffee is particularly puzzling to me.

If someone's opinion is different than yours, you find that annoying? Your opinion is different than mine, and I don't find myself annoyed by that.

I always thought that if one is comfortable in their knowledge, hearing a difference of opinion should open the mind and peak curiosity, not elicit negative emotions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Furthering on this, I think it's important that those of us who have eaten what many consider "a healthy diet" for a long time speak up on this issue.

I eat "dirtier" now that I've reached an ideal weight than I did when I was reaching my highest weight. I got to the fattest point ever in this last stretch of my life eating plenty of whole foods.

Yes, this is the same with me.
  • geneticexpectations
    geneticexpectations Posts: 146 Member
    edited December 2016
    You wrote: "What I found annoying, as I said, was that you claimed those of us saying calories are equal don't care about our insides"

Did I say this? Or did you interpret it that way? Since this is annoying you, I'd suggest you rewind the tape and verify what it is exactly that I wrote.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You wrote: "What I found annoying, as I said, was that you claimed those of us saying calories are equal don't care about our insides"

Did I say this? Or did you interpret it that way? Since this is annoying you, I'd suggest you rewind the tape and verify what it is exactly that I wrote.

"I too know guys who are absolutely shredded that pretty much live on junk food. Not my kind of thing mind you... I'd rather have my insides be in as good as or better condition than my outsides."

Your words. Thinking that eating lots of junk food somehow destroys your insides.
  • You wrote: "What I found annoying, as I said, was that you claimed those of us saying calories are equal don't care about our insides"

"I too know guys who are absolutely shredded that pretty much live on junk food. Not my kind of thing mind you... I'd rather have my insides be in as good as or better condition than my outsides."

Your words. Thinking that eating lots of junk food somehow destroys your insides.

Correct observation. So I guess this case is closed unless there is someone who agrees that:

=

"you claimed those of us saying calories are equal don't care about our insides"

• J72FIT wrote: »
    Calories are equal, food is not, it does not matter as long as you get adequate nutrients...

I agree with this sentence except for the words "it does not matter".