"cheat" days

Options
A cheat day in this case would be a day you eat something that isn't too healthy, but it's ok since it's a "cheat" day.

I've heard many things like going cold turkey is difficult, having cheat days can ease you into a steady diet. I've also talked to ppl who treat the term like it's taboo. To that effect some ppl say if you have a cheat day, make up for it the next day by either doing extra exercises or cut a few more calories.

What are your thoughts on "cheat" days?

Replies

• vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a "cheat meal" instead a full "cheat day". The cheat meal can satisfy your craving, the cheat meal can throw you off the bus!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't have a 'cheat day' however, I also haven't cut EVERYTHING I love out of my diet.
    I've just been more conscious of my calorie intake, as well as my portion sizes.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I don't have cheat days; maybe a cheat meal if it's a special event; wedding/party things as such.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days.

I eat what I want, when I want. I make sure it fits into my calories for the day, I eat it, I log it and I move on.

For me, knowing I can have whatever I want - whenever I want it makes me realize this is less of "diet" and more of a lifestyle change. I like knowing I can eat it when I want it vs having to wait for a special meal or special day.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, either. I just accept that there are going to be days that I go over my calorie limit, and that's life. I just take every day as it comes, and do the best I can. :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't like to look at it as "cheating" because that makes it a diet and not a way of life. If I eat a bit too much one day, though I still don't pig out, I go back to my normal eating the next day. Personally, the "cheating" isn't worth it to me. I've worked too hard for too long to blow it off because I decide to go back to eating in the way that made me fat in the first place.
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I can't have cheat meals or days yet. I had gastric bypass surgery.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days anymore. I have found that I can't always handle it. Instead I found a few things that satisfy my cravings but are healthy foods. Also the more excercise I have gotten in a day the less I crave bad foods. Me and a pint of chunky monkey is a recipe for disaster. It is crack to me.
  • kkimora26
    kkimora26 Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days.

I eat what I want, when I want. I make sure it fits into my calories for the day, I eat it, I log it and I move on.

For me, knowing I can have whatever I want - whenever I want it makes me realize this is less of "diet" and more of a lifestyle change. I like knowing I can eat it when I want it vs having to wait for a special meal or special day.

Same here!!! Personally when I say "I can't have this, I can't have that " I set myself uo for disaster! so i'm practing portion control and moderation...it's not perfect but I def. come a long way :)
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I'm with Pink_turnip on this one. My diet consists of tasty AND healthy food items. We have baked chicken wings and baked sweet potato fries every Sunday, but it doesn't seem to interfere with anything. If there weer a day that would be considered a cheat day, it's the day that I literally don't have a meal planned or don't have any food here and we have to eat out or order delivery. Even then, we try our best to make wise choices. Ultimately, there's no planned cheat day.

Another good scenario: A family member passed away. After the funeral, there was food. It's considered rude to some if you don't eat their food... cheat day.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

1. That which does not or cannot bend, tends to break instead. Thus a certain amount of cheating is inevitable. If your system makes NO allowance for "cheating," when the cheating does occur, the system is simply broken, and there's no reason not to go back to eating everything in sight.

2. I think the concept of a planned, regular "cheat day" must be viewed with caution. Do you need a whole day? How about a single meal? To be a "cheat" meal, does it have to be hog-wild & pig-crazy, or can you simply relax the rules while preserving a modicum of reason and self-control?

3. I've heard people talk about an "80-20 rule," which I gather means be righteous 80% of the time, and you can then afford to indulge yourself 20% of the time. I don't think that's wrong in principle, but excessive in degree. I think 80-20 is a bit generous. Maybe something like a 95-5 rule is a better idea.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The only planned cheat days I have are for holidays. The first was my fiancee's birthday, the next was the 4th at a friend's house. The next will be at the state fair. These are important events in my life I'd rather not spoil worrying about my calories. They don't come along every day. Some days I'll satisfy a craving and make it work into my day, very rarely I'll go over my calories by a lot for eating something bad unplanned.
  • koj43
    koj43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    moderation....
  • MrsRaia
    MrsRaia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have them for special event days and so forth. Holidays and parties etc. And I still lost 56 lbs, and made it to my goal- (altho now I want to lose a little more haha) so I guess it wasn't detrimental to my weight loss. The key is, to make sure they aren't frequent. For instance, one month I had parties and events both days on the weekend 3 weeks in a row. I choose 2 out of the 6 that I thought I'd like to be a little bit of a piggy at. The rest I stayed closer to diet mode. And even when I cheat now, I eat far less because my stomach has shrunk so to speak. I definitely will never over-eat even when cheating. When I feel full- I stop.
    Like others said- MODERATION.

I think if I didn't do it from time to time I would feel cheated out of enjoying life. Having said that in the beginning of the whole weight loss venture I did NOT cheat, it was only after I started getting on a roll and doing well. Thus building my metabolism and also frame of mind. Do it too soon and you'll just do it too much!
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    Sometimes I will have "cheat snacks", like today I had 2 oreo cookies. It satisfied my craving and didn't add a lot of calories to my daily caloric intake.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I have cheat meals on occasion but like some of the other posters, I have NOT cut all my favorite foods from my diet. There's no need if you can handle moderation. Or I make subtle changes to a favorite meal to make it better for you. For example, I love sloppy joe's but if I use lean ground turkey instead of beef- that helps a bit. If I'm going to have a cheat meal, I eat light all day and exercise as much as I can that day plus I drink a ton of water before and after to help with any sodium. :O)
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If i drink alcohol, then i go way too far over my calories, but i log all my drinks, prepare for the consequences n have to go up 2lb to come back down. (I only drink alcopops when out, wine and diet lemonade at home) Lucky for me i don't drink often!! As for food, i will admit going without if i know i will be eating 'bad' foods later in the day!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat... I plan. For exampe, we went to the fair last night, so I planned my day out to make sure i had the calories left for a funnel cake! (I only planned for half, I ate a third) so, i figure if I exercised the calories or saved them, that's not cheating, it's beating the system!
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I don't do cheat days anymore. I tried it and let myself have a treat once a week, and it completely killed my diet. I do better with cutting everything out and eating loads of fruits and veggies. But on my birthday I do plan to have something special (in moderation of course), as well as on the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • hdpalmer98
    hdpalmer98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with MindyBlack. I used to have them, but I would fly off the wagon. I'd think, "I only have one day to eat whatever I want", so I'd eat way too much of really bad foods, & then I'd have trouble getting back on the next day. Now, I plan ahead. For instance - I'm going to my parent's house this weekend, & we almost always go out for ice cream Saturday night. I will do a 5.5 mile run/walk in the morning, & order a mini or small blizzard instead of a medium. Then I can have my ice cream & eat it too without feeling guilty or getting off track. I'm sure there are many people who can have cheat days or meals without a disaster. I'm just not one of them!