SODIUM CRISIS

Options
Four weeks and ten pounds lost, but one thing still bugs me-SODIUM.
No matter how much I substitute my foods for healthier options, I somehow manage to surpass my 3,000mg limit, and I know for a fact that it's real bad for my Stage 1 Hypertension. Any suggestions to cut the salt?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Prepare your food in your kitchen. That's really the easiest way to control sodium. Limit your bread intake to tiny bits occasionally. Bread is a high-salt food. Restaurant food is highly salted. You can easily get your sodium way under 1500 by merely preparing your own food in your own kitchen.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I need to lower my sodium as well. I usually have >10,000mg. I don't have any issues so I haven't been really harping down on myself to change. But I have tried things that worked in the past. For example, where does most of your sodium come from? Maybe buy no salt pretzels, no salt mustard, low sodium/no sodium varieties of your favorite condiments, no pickles, etc.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Making your food at home is really key to this. Even healthy options at restaurants have crazy amounts of sodium. Grocery shop around the outside of the store (fresh produce, meat, seafood, dairy). Deli meat also has a ton of sodium. Cheeses can be up there too. If you know that you're going out for lunch for example, just aim to have lower sodium options for your other meals. I've lost over 100lbs and have been able to stop taking my blood pressure meds completely! You can do this! My diary is open if you want to look.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have to keep a limit on my sodium as well. Can you open your diary so we can see what you're eating that might be throwing your numbers off? Briefly, the most common culprits are prepackaged and fast foods.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I need to lower my sodium as well. I usually have >10,000mg. I don't have any issues so I haven't been really harping down on myself to change. But I have tried things that worked in the past. For example, where does most of your sodium come from? Maybe buy no salt pretzels, no salt mustard, low sodium/no sodium varieties of your favorite condiments, no pickles, etc.

You eat more than 10,000 mg a day? Where does most of that come from?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Four weeks and ten pounds lost, but one thing still bugs me-SODIUM.
    No matter how much I substitute my foods for healthier options, I somehow manage to surpass my 3,000mg limit, and I know for a fact that it's real bad for my Stage 1 Hypertension. Any suggestions to cut the salt?

More whole foods...cooking your meals using scratch, whole ingredients.

Processed food good, whether they are marketed as "healthy" or not, are going to contain quite a bit of sodium unless they are specifically low sodium.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Only way to do it is to use raw foods and prepare them yourself without added salt. If you buy anything pre-packaged it's going to have added sodium because its used as a preservative and a flavor enhancer. Things you can do:

-You can make your own condiments and dressings without added sodium. It's a pain, yes, but it can be done. They may not keep as long as the sodium-filled versions so make small batches, store in the fridge.
    -Buy meats and vegetables raw, cook them yourself, use seasonings and spices without added sodium
    -Stay away from soda, drink lots of water.. up to a gallon a day.
    -Stay away from fast food completely.
    -Eat potassium rich vegetables. Potassium can help negate the effects of sodium in the body.

There's some discussion that a 'normal' amount might be healthy at between 3000 and 6000mg per day for healthy individuals. But if you already have hypertension, you certainly want to stay in the current recommended range if not under it.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Home cooked meals
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    The more vegetables the better. Vegetables are high in potassium, which helps balance the sodium.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Another sodium watcher here. I agree that the real key to this is to prep your own food at home; read your labels in the grocery stores. For salt substitutes, I use all kinds of spices; and I also cook in wine, which makes a nice sauce and is a good flavor enhancer.

Agree on bread. But! If you feel adventurous, you can make your own and control the salt there (for ideas and inspirations, I recommend a Youtube series called "The Bread Kitchen" - the hostess makes it look and sound so easy - and then you find that she's right!).

I started making very, very quick breads from oat flour, under advice from my doctor (cholesterol issues). I've since "graduated" to yeast breads with various flours based on what I feel like. I only need a half-teaspoon of salt for any of my loaves. That amounts to less than 100 mg per serving of the bread in question.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I average around 2000mg - some days higher, some lower. When I buy packaged foods at the store, I read the labels for sodium content and I don't add salt to most things when I eat them. Some items like packaged soups are terrible for sodium -- as are many fast food meals. But not all are bad.

I had a vegan meal from a place called Snap Kitchen for lunch yesterday; it came in at 1420mg of sodium, but my total for the day was 2300mg. Tuesday my total was 1385mg: highest item was a bowl of noodles with peanut sauce and tofu for lunch at a restaurant called Freshii's here in downtown Chicago -- it weighed in at 640mg. Last Saturday, it was 1153; here as an example is what I had to eat on Saturday. I'm eating vegan until Christmas for religious reasons, normally I do eat meat and dairy.

Breakfast - Soy milk, banana, Raisin Nut Bran (340mg)

Light Lunch - almonds, an apple, half and half with coffee (185mg)

Dinner - Kashi Amaranth Plaintain Bowl, Bai Coconut Drink, for dessert I had Silk dairy free yogurt with a quarter cup of Milk & Honey granola and a tablespoon of coconut cream (578mg)

Snacks - four Werther's sugar free caramels in the evening (50mg)

So for me it's just a matter of reading labels and making lower sodium choices when I'm shopping. I'm on multiple meds for hypertension, have been since the 1980s, and my hypertension is under control. I've also found that my BP isn't particularly sensitive to the amount of sodium in my diet but I do try to keep it down below the recommended levels.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    ... it's just a matter of reading labels and making lower sodium choices when I'm shopping ...

To this, I'd add "and cooking." We've greatly cut down our sodium intake such that we find things we've enjoyed before now taste too salty. What we've upped is our use of other herbs and spices.

Hit the Mrs. Dash varieties at the supermarket. They are shelved right by the salt. Our favorite flavor is the garlic/herb but the others are good, too.

Penzey's spices has a salt free sort option on their web site.

We also switched to Teddie all-natural unsalted peanut butter. The cheapest way to get it is usually directly from Teddie.com. Only one ingredient in it: peanuts.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how much sodium was in prepared food until my wife had to limit her sodium. Because people have been over salting food for years and the preparers seem to keep adding more to suit their tastes. As said above, the only way to be in control is to cook at home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I had no idea how much sodium was in prepared food until my wife had to limit her sodium. Because people have been over salting food for years and the preparers seem to keep adding more to suit their tastes. As said above, the only way to be in control is to cook at home.

Actually, I think it's more a preservative thing in pre-packaged goods...I would agree for restaurant food.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You are not the only one, I am always over my sodium frequently. I haven't been diagnosed w/ pre hypertension but im borderline. I have been at it 110 days still dont have the hang of keeping sodium down. & I cook breakfast & dinner but lunch time is usually whatever the cafe at work is serving ( healthier option of course)
  • johnstone682
    johnstone682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was on bp medication last year, so I too lost weight and cut right back on sodium, my intake now is 1500mg approx per day. I'm now off medication with a bp of 104/65 last visit. How do you open yr diary? Yr more than welcome to view what I eat.
    Being from the U.K , our sodium is measured in grams, this app requires mg, so to convert it to mg u ➗the amount by 2.5 then then ✖️by a 1000. Hope that helps someone
  • GoHawaiian210
    GoHawaiian210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The more vegetables the better. Vegetables are high in potassium, which helps balance the sodium.

I should start increasing my veggie intake; I didn't know that.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I go over sodium a lot too