Lower Back Pain After Squats

Hi all. I would like some advice, please. I am female, currently follow Stronglifts and really enjoy it. Went to the gym this past Monday after not lifting the week prior. De-loaded five pounds for squats and noticed, after set number four, a little pull in my lower back. Continued on with set number five, OHP and DL. No discomfort during any of the sets.

Arriving home and getting out of my car I noticed increased tightness and discomfort spreading across my lower back. Motrin twice daily seemed to help. Did not work out yesterday; wanted to make sure that I gave it some rest. Discomfort is still there today.

I have been following SL since May of this year and have not had any issues prior to this. Not sure what I did during squats on Monday but thinking that maybe I didn't brace properly during the set. I probably should have de-loaded the recommended 10%.

If there is no improvement within the next couple of days, I will go see my doctor. My question is: if anyone lifting has experienced lower back pain, what did you do to improve and how long did it take you to recover. How long should I wait to go back to my routine?

Thank you.

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Most people experience a pull in their back at some point if they squat or deadlift, so you are not alone. You're on the right track with motrin; I would also suggest heating pads for a few days to help loosen the muscles as well as additional stretching or foam rolling. A lifting belt will also help support your lower back during squats but is not necessary.
  • Coffee_qd
    Coffee_qd Posts: 31 Member
    Thank you @jmt08c. Those are really good suggestions I had not thought of. Will definitely try them.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I just had this problem two weeks ago. Had pain whenever releasing from the bar - shooting from my lower back down to my butt. Go easy. Avoid strenuous back exercises (deadlifts, v-ups, etc.), go easy on the squats and rest for 5-7 days. Ice/heat are helpful.
  • Coffee_qd
    I just had this problem two weeks ago. Had pain whenever releasing from the bar - shooting from my lower back down to my butt. Go easy. Avoid strenuous back exercises (deadlifts, v-ups, etc.), go easy on the squats and rest for 5-7 days. Ice/heat are helpful.

Thank you @peaceout_aly. I was thinking that I may have to rest several days. I guess I will wait this week out, and if my back feels okay, start back slowly on Monday with a decreased load.

I hope this doesn't happen again; I just really need to pay attention to form and bracing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited December 2016
    Very easy to injure your back doing squats. Basic reason is bad form. Been there, done that. Usually being too far bent forward when going up and/or down which puts too much stress on your lower back causes the problem.

The weight needs to be centered over your hips and feet with your back only slightly forward of vertical to maintain that position thru the lift. The heavier the weight, the harder to maintain this position.

Imagine a straight line running from the bar down thru your feet. That's where you want to keep the bar. You should "feel" the proper balance point through pressure in your feet. Reminding yourself to keep your chest up and shoulders back also helps - - at least it helps me.

Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength" has a detaiked explanation and several illustrations of how this should be done. Also lots of videos and articles online that try to do the same but quality varies widely. So, be careful in choosing whichvto rely on. Good luck!
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    edited December 2016
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Very easy to injure your back doing squats. Basic reason is bad form. Been there, done that. Usually being too far bent forward when going up and/or down which puts too much stress on your lower back causes the problem.

The weight needs to be centered over your hips and feet with your back only slightly forward of vertical to maintain that position thru the lift. The heavier the weight, the harder to maintain this position.

Imagine a straight line running from the bar down thru your feet. That's where you want to keep the bar. You should "feel" the proper balance point through pressure in your feet. Reminding yourself to keep your chest up and shoulders back also helps - - at least it helps me.

Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength" has a detaiked explanation and several illustrations of how this should be done. Also lots of videos and articles online that try to do the same but quality varies widely. So, be careful in choosing whichvto rely on. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat (since Monday, ironically). I noticed on my last set that I had leaned too far forward (fatigue was setting in) and while correcting, pulled some muscles in my lower back. Yesterday I mentioned this to my trainer and he told me exactly what I bolded above. We rested my lower back yesterday and today. Tomorrow we'll see how it feels. In the meantime, I'm stretching my lower back and glutes several times a day. Being cognizant of what causes the injuries is key to avoiding them!

(edit: my trainer does correct my form when I need it - I just came up this time before I registered what he was saying...and it was the last rep that we did)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    edited December 2016
    This is actually how I managed to mess up my hip muscle, that a few years later is still taking a lot of time and effort to put right!

As @sgt1372 says, it's usually bad form during the squat. Everything he's said is perfect but I just want to add - sometimes with heavier weight it's tempting to arch your back and try to pop your butt up to get the momentum. It can cause some serious issues in the lower back and hips, so as Sgt has said, try to imagine a straight line, contract your abs, imagine pulling your bellybutton to your spine. Contract the lats and ensure that your back is braced and supported by your core muscles before beginning the upward movement.

I hope you heal up nice and quickly! Good luck!

ETA: typo
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lower back pain from squats is a hallmark of bad form...usually from bending at the waist instead of squatting down and pushing your hips out and hinging with your hips.
  • Coffee_qd

Thank you. This really helps. I've been going back in my mind trying to recall the sets that morning. I squat high-back and I feel like there was a moment, on the way up, where I may not have been straight. That could have been when it happened. I have been working on my form because I had noticed that I felt the pressure in my quads more so than my feet.

I have Rippetoe's digital book and love it. I spent quite a bit of reading time on the squat and have been watching his Youtube videos as well.
  • Coffee_qd
    mrp56839 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat (since Monday, ironically). I noticed on my last set that I had leaned too far forward (fatigue was setting in) and while correcting, pulled some muscles in my lower back. Yesterday I mentioned this to my trainer and he told me exactly what I bolded above. We rested my lower back yesterday and today. Tomorrow we'll see how it feels. In the meantime, I'm stretching my lower back and glutes several times a day. Being cognizant of what causes the injuries is key to avoiding them!

(edit: my trainer does correct my form when I need it - I just came up this time before I registered what he was saying...and it was the last rep that we did)

Thank you. Reading everyone's responses, my form was clearly the problem. The set where I may not have come up straight was my fourth one. As I had mentioned before, I did not lift the week before and should have de-loaded more. I think the heavier weight may have increased fatigue making me more susceptible to bad form.

I'll give it a couple additional days of rest and hope to be back on track Monday. Good luck to you as well. Hope you can get back to it tomorrow.
  • Coffee_qd
    This is actually how I managed to mess up my hip muscle, that a few years later is still taking a lot of time and effort to put right!

As @sgt1372 says, it's usually bad form during the squat. Everything he's said is perfect but I just want to add - sometimes with heavier weight it's tempting to arch your back and try to pop your butt up to get the momentum. It can cause some serious issues in the lower back and hips, so as Sgt has said, try to imagine a straight line, contract your abs, imagine pulling your bellybutton to your spine. Contract the lats and ensure that your back is braced and supported by your core muscles before beginning the upward movement.

I hope you heal up nice and quickly! Good luck!

ETA: typo

I am sorry to hear that your hip muscle is still causing some trouble a few years after the injury. That is a scary thought. I had not given any thought to back arching with heavier weight but will definitely pay attention to that. It could well be an additional issue that I'm not aware of. I love the squat and hope to get it right with no more injuries.

Thank you for the well wishes!
  • Coffee_qd
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lower back pain from squats is a hallmark of bad form...usually from bending at the waist instead of squatting down and pushing your hips out and hinging with your hips.

Going forward I will definitely be much more aware of my squat form. Having this pain makes me nervous and I do not like the thought of another injury. When I go back to the gym on Monday, if improved, I will start training with a decrease in weight until my form is where it should be.

Thank you for bringing up the concern with the hip. I'll pay attention to that as well.

Everyone here has given me great advice and feedback. I appreciate it very much. I have learned a lot and hope to use this information to get back on track and rock my squats. Thanks again!
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    when you feel better, get someone to watch your form. If you are leaning to far forward, your lower back is taking the weight.

I can't do squats bc I lean forward too much. I'm working on box squats to try and correct this.
  • Coffee_qd
    serapel wrote: »
    when you feel better, get someone to watch your form. If you are leaning to far forward, your lower back is taking the weight.

I can't do squats bc I lean forward too much. I'm working on box squats to try and correct this.

Yes, that is a good idea. I try to be mindful of staying upright but something went wrong. I'll make sure I get some feedback on form. Thank you.
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    This also just happened to me. Thank you everyone for the advice!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Coffee_qd wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Going forward I will definitely be much more aware of my squat form. Having this pain makes me nervous and I do not like the thought of another injury. When I go back to the gym on Monday, if improved, I will start training with a decrease in weight until my form is where it should be.

Thank you for bringing up the concern with the hip. I'll pay attention to that as well.

Everyone here has given me great advice and feedback. I appreciate it very much. I have learned a lot and hope to use this information to get back on track and rock my squats. Thanks again!

It's pretty much what sgt1372 was saying in regards to keeping the bar aligned over your feet...to do that you have to push your hips out...that's the best way I can describe it anyway. It's pretty common for people to bend at the waist either going down or going up which will put the bar in front of your feet and strain your lower back...usually happens when weight exceeds ability with good form.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I read recently that front squats are harder to do wrong so you might consider switching to those for awhile.
  • Coffee_qd
    I'll try to get a video of my squats. I can use it to review and analyze what I am doing wrong using the feedback I have received from everyone here.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2016
    I actually got that type of pain from heavy deadlifts. You said you did deads, too, right? Just a thought. Adding a weight belt and working on form fixed it for me.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    low back pain seems to be going around. I got mine from poor deadlift form. I tried gritting it out and being a man for 2 weeks. finally I broke down and visited both my dr and the local chiropractor. a day later I feel as if I am on the way to being mended back together again.

Both the chiropractor and the dr suggested staying away from heat for at least the first few days after injury and using only ice instead.