anyone else start around 220 and 5'8"?

Options
Just looking for others around my height and weight so I can guage what my goal should be and what you're all doing to make it work! :)

Replies

• AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'M ALMOST 5'8 MY SW WAS 253 AND I AM DOWN TO 231. I PUT MY GOAL FOR 170 BUT I MAY CHANGE IT LOWER ONCE I SEE HOW I LOOK. I AM MORE TOP HEAVY EVEN WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE BUT I DO KNOW I WANT TO BE IN A SIZE 8 OR A 10 MISSES PANTS.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I did!!!
  • megs119
    megs119 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm definitely top-heavy too. It sucks buying pants, because they don't stay up around my hips and thighs, but I need them big enough for my waist. Hopefully that will all change a bit once I get outta the plus sizes. Plus sizes ASSUME everyone has hips and thighs, but some of us just have boobs and a waist. Sheesh. :)
  • Priscillawants74gone
    Priscillawants74gone Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    started at 224 and I am 5'-8". fell off after vacation, but back on now. =)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started at 242.

My goal weight is 159. I'm an hourglass shape, so I have fairly large boobs (36DD at my current weight of 174) and they were 40DDD at 242.

I've been as low at 142 but that was at 17 in high school so I don't think I'm going to get that low now because it would take too much work for ME to keep it at that weight :D

My original "goal" weight was 165 but I've since lowered it to the 159 ;)
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    No boobs here, or hips, just stomach.
  • princessekrystale
    Options
    I am 5 ft 10 and started at 228 lbs ...
    Now I'm down to 195 and GOAL weight is 160.
    I am an hourglass shape as well, so I have fairly large boobs, lots of hips and lol, a pretty big *kitten*.

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    im 5'8" and started at 238 :)
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my starting weight in Jan was 205 . Now Im 175 with a goal of 155. Big boobs here also,lol.
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 also, and my highest weight was 225. I'm 37 and have two sons. I am now in the mid 180s with a goal of 160-165. After my first baby, I was down to 150, but that was pushing it for me. I was starting to get bony in the chest and gaunt in the face. All my weight is in my stomach and hips.

Megs; I'm a teacher too -- middle school and high school history. I am looking for a few more friends for mutual support if anyone from this thread wants to be friends.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    my highest weight was 225, about 7 or 8 years ago...when I started on MFP in March, I was 199. Down to 161 and looking at maintaining when I hit around 150-155...

Things that work for me:
    logging everything I eat and all my exercise on MFP
    creating a great support network for myself
    working out 4-6 days a week, even if it's just a quick walk on my lunch break at work
    strength training with weights and/or weight machines
    LOTS of water
    completely cut out soda, including diet soda, and juice
    switching to more whole wheat/whole grain products
    LOTS of vegetables!
    allowing myself small treats
    not beating myself up when I mess up :)
    mixing it up (either eating plan or workouts) when I get bored

Good luck!
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    5'9 and started at 238... preggo now so stopped losing.. lol...
    but i'm really top heavy... have no hips, really high waist and tons of boobs.. lol.. so i understand not being able to buy ANYTHING!!
  • JenMac18
    JenMac18 Posts: 5
    Options
    Me! I am just getting started. I am 5'9" and 225 lbs.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 - now at 227 lbs (97 lbs lost) and I am looking at going to 185 lbs - as I am over 50 I don't want to be super skinny and full of wrinkles in my face, so I will be happy carrying a little bit more weight not to look too gaunt.....

Having said that who knows how I will feel when I get there. Personally I think you should set a realistic goal to start with - and then make decisions once you get close to that weight on how much you might still want to lose.

I am working hard at building muscle, so my body size will most probably look a little bit different (smaller) even though I weigh more than someone that does not work out....(That is my hope!!)
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started at 245. I'm small boned, have hardly any boobs, and have tiny feet. I'm shooting for 135. I was 125 eleven years ago and while I looked great, I plan to add muscle and not be another case of skinny fat.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    oh and there is a differance between big boned and small boned people.. like me.. i'm very big boned.. my personal trainer took my measurements and after seeing how much i can lift said i should have started a career as a quarter back (LOL) :) i have size 9 ring and size 11 feet..so i'm naturally really bulkily built.... i prob wont be able to go lower than 175 due to how i'm built...
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and start weight was 229. My goal is 180 but I know I will go for a smaller goal, maybe 165, when I get to 180 as I'm more of a medium build and not sure I would be okay smaller then that...but we'll see!
  • FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been here off and on--now I'm back on. But I'm considering myself starting from square 1! Clean Slate!

I'm 5'9" and 211 lbs. My short term goal is for 170, but my long term goal is 145-150 ish. I'm kind of pear/kind of hour glassy--somewhere in between.
    I'm doing this by Clean Eating and following the principles of Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle program.
    The most difficult thing for me is to actually retrain my brain into being my own best cheerleader--positive beliefs!

Let do this THANG!
    Leona
  • meljr66
    meljr66 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 225. I am down to 170, the smallest I've been since 1995. I went from a tight 16 to a tight 10. :wink:
    I have been losing very slowly and I plan to keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. Even if I don't lose another pound, I am happy!
  • honeyX0
    honeyX0 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes