Sudden INTENSE Food Cravings

Options

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The way you talk about craving foods you hate makes me urge you to go to a doctor. Sounds quite hormonal. I know you said you aren't pregnant, but pregnancy is the one common factor with my friends/family that have cravings for foods they hate.

I won't dicourage the OP from seeing doctor if she needs it, but I don't read her posts like that. Aren't cravings defined by exactly this, a "sudden and intense and stubborn desire for something you don't need and not even really want"? Usually triggered by exposure to - you know, the things that experts warn us against eating too much of, the stuff that has way too many calories for a small bite, foods that taste "too good", easy to eat, difficult to moderate. "Bet you can't eat just one"? The ambivalence is also driving and driven by the notion of "naughty" and "bad" foods.

I agree. Everything is not a medical issue. Some things are just mental. Maybe hormonal. LOL!
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Its just a craving lol. I got a curry craving but no issues..just fancy a vindaloo

Agree.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

When is all of a sudden? This week? I'm having pretty bad cravings today. They started mildly yesterday, but I know it's because menses is next week. Ugh. :(

Hah, mine is too, so that could definitely be it, it's just never happened to me before! Haha!

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I suspect that like bears and other animals who live in snowy climes we've evolved to pack on the pounds in the fall as insurance against the hard months of winter. But that's just a guess.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

When is all of a sudden? This week? I'm having pretty bad cravings today. They started mildly yesterday, but I know it's because menses is next week. Ugh. :(

Hah, mine is too, so that could definitely be it, it's just never happened to me before! Haha!

So are the cravings just this week?
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I ate, even overate, traditional thanksgiving dinner, candied yams, pie and all. However, letting fast food back in your life is a big mistake. You don't really know what's in it. If you want a big mac or whatever, make something like that at home. Big greasy cheeseburger on whole wheat bun with all the toppings. It's not the same, but you won't lose your healthy eating mind set. It takes a long time to shake off the junk food habit. No sense blowing it now.

Thank you! And you are so right. Fast food is SO addictive, I've had it occasionally throughout my weight loss, I always try to make sure that it fits within my macros and stuff, but even then, it's hardly ever worth the craving or the guilt afterwards!
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options

Since Thanksgiving, so yeah for the most part. Part of me wondered if eating so much then made me want to keep eating all the carbs and fat I had that weekend hahaha.
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Since Thanksgiving, so yeah for the most part. Part of me wondered if eating so much then made me want to keep eating all the carbs and fat I had that weekend hahaha.

Yeah, that could have contributed to it as well as the hormones. Just give it a little time. You will stabilize again.
  • scratchcat69
    scratchcat69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar experience at the end of Summer. My mind just switched to a complacent, almost deserving attitude. I was still lifting heavy, exercising but it seemed that I couldn't get enough to eat. Metabolism could have shifted. I wouldn't give into the cravings too much, like I did because I wound up gaining extra pounds that I didn't need. Now, I'm back in the right frame of mind and trimming back down for a year end goal I have in mind. Great post. I enjoyed reading everyones comments and advise! #livefit
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Also, one other comment. You mentioned that this didn't happen before. I will say that the leaner I became the more my cravings intensified. When I was heavier, I didn't have the monthly hormonal cravings. It was only when I became a bit underweight that most of the cravings hit. Now, that I have started intermittent fasting, it's better. But for some reason, it's getting to me today.

I will try to resist! Yikes :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Maybe check different sources online and try different things. Those two links seemed interesting. There's no harm in trying. You might learn something new about your body!

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/what-do-your-food-cravings-really-mean/

http://eatwiseteens.org/food-cravings-what-your-body-is-telling-you/

Congrats on your weightloss! Good luck with your cravings oxox

Ps. There's nothing bad in indulging once in a while, but I hope you find back that balance anyway! :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The way you talk about craving foods you hate makes me urge you to go to a doctor. Sounds quite hormonal. I know you said you aren't pregnant, but pregnancy is the one common factor with my friends/family that have cravings for foods they hate.

I won't dicourage the OP from seeing doctor if she needs it, but I don't read her posts like that. Aren't cravings defined by exactly this, a "sudden and intense and stubborn desire for something you don't need and not even really want"? Usually triggered by exposure to - you know, the things that experts warn us against eating too much of, the stuff that has way too many calories for a small bite, foods that taste "too good", easy to eat, difficult to moderate. "Bet you can't eat just one"? The ambivalence is also driving and driven by the notion of "naughty" and "bad" foods.

Why would you crave a food you hate? OP mentioned she had a craving for hot dogs and she hates hot dogs. But wth do I know?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,752 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The thing that jumps out at me from that list is not calories or fat, but salt. All of those are really salty foods. Maybe see your doctor to get your blood tested and make sure your electrolytes are okay?
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    The thing that jumps out at me from that list is not calories or fat, but salt. All of those are really salty foods. Maybe see your doctor to get your blood tested and make sure your electrolytes are okay?

That's a good idea. I might do that, I'm due for a checkup soon anyway. :)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You mention that you work out a lot. What kind of workouts do you do? Do you lift weights? Have you had a decrease in body fat? Do approximately know what your body fat % is?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So, I've been on here for about a year, I've hit my goal weight and am extremely happy with my results. I eat healthy and I'm generally not tempted by naughty things often. I'm not even a "snacker."

ALL OF A SUDDEN, though, I've started having really really intense food cravings, and usually for really junky foods. Pizza, hot dogs, Taco Bell, Burgers, mac and cheese... just really carby fatty things.

I am not pregnant, for the record.

I exercise a lot and I eat at or really closely under my maintenance weight, so it's not like I'm starving myself or giving myself a crazy deficit, but even when I was at a deficit, I never had actual cravings.

Is this just a seasonal thing? Or... I don't know, I've been trying to "just not eat them" but I'm not kidding when I say that they are overwhelmingly strong.

Do I indulge occasionally? If it fits my calories and my macros, would it hurt too badly to eat like crap for a little bit?

A few causes occur to me:

1. What percent of your exercise calories do you eat back?

2. Where are you in your menstrual cycle?

3. What are your macros when you're not giving in to cravings?
  • Leesha387
    Leesha387 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thedcubed1 wrote: »
    I'd say it's okay to occasionally indulge in moderation for sure. I wouldn't go binge eating for a few days or anything, but the occasional indulgence wouldn't hurt too badly. What might even happen is you might indulge and feel crappy the next day which will cause you to not crave them anymore! For the record...that hasn't happened to me yet so I still have those cravings for sure! Mmmm....Taco Bell. :-)

Everything in moderation is how I look at it. Getting and staying fit is hard enough as it is so you should be able to enjoy yourself once in a while. The other tip would be maybe not go and get the food at the height of your cravings. Maybe wait until you think "Yeah that'd be nice". Similar to how you shouldn't go grocery shopping when you're hungry!

Good luck!

I think he's right. plus if you ignore the craving to long, and then finally give in, you might over do it and then feel guilty about it later, which is never fun or helpful. Winter/fall people tend to eat more, I think our bodies use to be programmed that way, especially for women, to prepare for the coming months when food would be scarce, of course that's not really a problem these days for most people, but it may be effecting you.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    You mention that you work out a lot. What kind of workouts do you do? Do you lift weights? Have you had a decrease in body fat? Do approximately know what your body fat % is?
    I run and lift and do Zumba, I'm at about 19% body fat at the moment which is kinda where I wanna stay, between 18-19%.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So, I've been on here for about a year, I've hit my goal weight and am extremely happy with my results. I eat healthy and I'm generally not tempted by naughty things often. I'm not even a "snacker."

ALL OF A SUDDEN, though, I've started having really really intense food cravings, and usually for really junky foods. Pizza, hot dogs, Taco Bell, Burgers, mac and cheese... just really carby fatty things.

I exercise a lot and I eat at or really closely under my maintenance weight, so it's not like I'm starving myself or giving myself a crazy deficit, but even when I was at a deficit, I never had actual cravings.

Is this just a seasonal thing? Or... I don't know, I've been trying to "just not eat them" but I'm not kidding when I say that they are overwhelmingly strong.

Do I indulge occasionally? If it fits my calories and my macros, would it hurt too badly to eat like crap for a little bit?

I do try to eat back all my exercise calories, or at least 90% since I'm not trying to lose anymore.

I'm due for my period next week so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I was at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein apparently, I think it must have reset somewhere down the line cos that wasn't what I had originally set it to, but I changed it to 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein now on a 1,790 cal intake.

:)
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I do try to eat back all my exercise calories, or at least 90% since I'm not trying to lose anymore.

I'm due for my period next week so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I was at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein apparently, I think it must have reset somewhere down the line cos that wasn't what I had originally set it to, but I changed it to 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein now on a 1,790 cal intake.

:)

I really think it's hormonal. I'm in the same boat struggling with cravings. I'm confident they will be gone next week. But the last few days I have been white knuckling it. Ugh :(