Many of you ask why? Here is your answer!

Options
Many people, dieters and non-dieters alike, have problems with binges. We wonder why we can't stop after one cookie, one piece of candy, one slice of cake or one of anything. Why is it that we can lose all of the weight we want and then soon after it is creeping back on? Why is that one person can eat one cookie and be ok and others eat the whole package?

Well, it is the same answer for why some people can have a drink or two and stop and alcoholics don't know how to stop. They continue drinking to a point of extreme excess.

I should preface that it is glucose not fructose. As in WHITE sugar not natural sugar.

SUGAR IS ADDICTIVE!!!!!! If you have this trait, you are more likely to be addicted to sugar. Science has finally proved this it a study with rats. (The link is below.) The traits of addiction are increased intake, signs of withdrawal and craving and relapse behavior. After periods of no sugar consumption, when eating sugar there is relapse binge behavior. The consumption is increased and there are signs of withdrawal, i.e. exhaustion in the morning or afternoon.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081210090819.htm

For some of us, processed sugar just can't be trusted. It is as if an alcoholic says they can have one drink. Well, I'll be honest, I CAN'T have just one. If I am out and there is only one or I've been given a taste of something I am ok. BUT I am not ok with it in my house, my car, my purse or even purchased by me. No, I do not buy junk for my husband. He knows the rule, if he wants it, he buys it. And I do the grocery shopping for the house. I honestly don't care if he LOVES it. My health is more important than him eating a cookie.

So I hope this helps some of you. You may experience rediculous cravings or withdrawal but in the long run, it is so worth it.

"They never said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it!"

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I wonder why it's cheese (not anything sugary) that always calls me to binge. LOL Actually, maybe I don't truly binge on cheese - but I sure can eat a lot of it sometimes. :-)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Another reason: MSG. Research is showing that MSG can damage the parts of your brain that tell you "Hey pal, you've had enough!" MSG is found in so many things, from packaged foods to chips, even so-called "healthy" frozen diet meals. So you may be undermining your own efforts unintentionally! Interesting, huh? I basically stay away from "convenience foods" as much as possible.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I wonder why it's cheese (not anything sugary) that always calls me to binge. LOL Actually, maybe I don't truly binge on cheese - but I sure can eat a lot of it sometimes. :-)

Probably because is soooooooooooo tasty! lol ;-P
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    This only explains sugary binges, but many people binge on other things as well.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Probably because is soooooooooooo tasty! lol ;-P

I know... just mentioning 'cheese binges' has me thinking about a nice sharp cheddar I have sitting in the fridge right now!
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    yup thats me but can binge on moe then sugar but sugar is more likely to be the thing ill binge on.
  • Leish81
    Leish81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is very true. This is only regarding sugar binges. Some binges are emotional while others are addiction. I'm just trying to help people who may be like me.

Panda until the 1970's MSG was processed with Acrylonitrile, which is a class B Carcinogen. YIKES!!! The MSG processed now, not only increases insulin it is addictive. It has also been proven to increase obesity. SCARY!!!!

I am obsessed with reading food labels now. (Also because I have food allergies.) But I feel fantastic eating a Clean Diet. =)
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This was great!