Running and Losing Weight...

Options
I have added about 15-20 minutes of running into my routine and I stopped losing weight since then...Has anyone else experienced this? If so does it change or should I stop running...I am so frustrated... :explode: Thanks!! My goal is to be able to run 30 minutes straight or a 5k.

Replies

• mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    Options
    Measure yourself don't just weight yourself.

You're probably building muscle. Keep running. Muscle helps burn fat.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    if ur running off more calories you may need to up your calories a little to make up for it then you will start losing again...what is your calorie goal now? and How many calories net are you eating a day?
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started running in January. Since then I've only lost 8 lbs but I've lost 19.5 inches overall...so I'm ok with the slow moving scale. Good luck with your journey!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    It happens!!! Make sure you are closely watching what you eat and if you are eating back all of your exercise calories, then maybe cut them in half to see if that helps. Or, if you are not eating all of your exercise calories back then try it for a week and see what happens. Everyone is different and I have had to experiment with how many exercise calories to eat back in order to get the scale going my way again. Also, if you are drinking more water than usual you have to account for that too because you could have a little more weight than usual in water. Hope this helps and would love to motivate eachother so friend me if you want!
  • MeganLeddy
    MeganLeddy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer one day a week and learning all sorts of new things about working out and weight lifting. I am not a runner myself, but an important thing he always talks about is doing intervals on the treadmill. For me, since I do more of a power walk, this means walking to extreme inclines and different paces. You could do the same for running and probably see a lot different results as well. Interval training, though, will help your heart rate reach different levels like fitness and fat burning levels at different speeds and inclines. If you go to a gym, maybe see if a trainer there can just give you a few pointers real quick so you can try that a couple days a week instead of just always running! Hope that helps!
  • InspiretheNow
    Options
    You will be building some muscle when you start running and it all starts with muscle toning. That's when your body is using the fat and turning it into muscle. When your body is in tone it gets to a point where it won't burn any more fat or make more muscle. That's when you have to increase your running time and length. A 5k is about 3.1 miles. That's a pretty good distance to run and that's just awesome you wanna run that! Makes me happy. So upping your calorie intake like your friends says is a good idea. Be patient and good results will come. Remember the longer it takes you to get the body you want means the more experience and more attention you'll be able to KEEP a healthy lifestyle ^_^