Calorie confusion...

Options
Hi! I'm about 1 month in to tracking and love it- BUT I'm concerned about my calorie values. I try to measure and really know what quantity I'm putting in, but sometimes I wonder am I over/under estimating. Am I crazy for being worried about this? Any tips or advice would be helpful... thanks!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale for solids?

Measuring cups are more precise than eyeballing but a food scale is more precise than measuring cups.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You need a food scale. I use it for all solids (even packaged foods) and semi-solids (nut butters, yogurt, even salad dressing). That's how you know for certain.
  • Justanotherhippy
    Justanotherhippy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and measuring cups!
  • NewCat63
    NewCat63 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything most of it is guessology unless I've scanned the packet - I've lost 35lbs so it works for me but maybe not as effective for others
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about the calorie count. The best thing I personally think is too weigh yourself first think in the morning after the toilet. Then decide if it's right. If both days the same then you had a balanced day . If you gained weight and didn't want to make a note of what you did different or think what you might change then the next day see how it helped or didn't
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    grahamjh20 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm about 1 month in to tracking and love it- BUT I'm concerned about my calorie values. I try to measure and really know what quantity I'm putting in, but sometimes I wonder am I over/under estimating. Am I crazy for being worried about this? Any tips or advice would be helpful... thanks!

What makes you wonder these things?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Are you losing faster than your set goal or slower? If faster, you are probably under your calorie goal. If slower, you are probably over. Also, set your goal reasonably. Unless you are obese, 1 pound per week should probably be the maximum you strive for. Less if you have under 20 pounds to lose.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about the calorie count. The best thing I personally think is too weigh yourself first think in the morning after the toilet. Then decide if it's right. If both days the same then you had a balanced day . If you gained weight and didn't want to make a note of what you did different or think what you might change then the next day see how it helped or didn't

I can see how this might be useful for some, but aren't water weight fluctuations (especially with us women) going to confound the results? How do you account for them? And do you eat the same things every day to make this work?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i weight myself every day and then look at my 5 day avg - same time every day (as soon as I get up and pee) on the same scale that sits in my bathroom

i don't necessarily agree with the idea of the scale staying the same means you had a "balanced day" because bweight loss isn't linear
  • EDs3000
    EDs3000 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As long as you think it's close to the calorie number. You should be fine. Keep in mind that you probably won't add the exact number calories all the time. :) Hope this helps.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @grahamjh20 I will refer you to a few posts by other MFP members who have compiled some good reads.

This is one that I am constantly referring back to. MFP may have change how Food Items shown but the concepts are still valid and very helpful. Logging Accurately

The Index of Index's. Important Posts to read

If you go to the Message Boards and then go to the Getting Started Board you will notice a group of messages at the Top of the list that show Announcement and Closed below them. These are all good sources of information. You can apply the same concept to the other message boards where the "Stickied" posts at the top with Announcement and Closed below them will be good sources of information. It can seem overwhelming so take it in small bites and make small changes - those that try to change every thing in their life in one big step get over whelmed and lost.

A little 4 part Blog about Habits
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes you are probably under and over estimating!
    Unless it's impacting your actual results then relax.