Feeling Crappy after Eating Healthy

Options

Replies

• elenjay140
    elenjay140 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? As in how many calories? You might be undereating.

When I eat "healthy" (read: more fruit and veg, fewer biscuits, cakes, crisps) it makes me feel better, not worse. But eating too little makes me feel the way you describe.

I think it honestly might have been my body adjusting to more fruits and vegetables and less sugar and processed foods, especially after the Thanksgiving holiday. My diet for the past few days has looked like:

2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast
    large all-vegetable salad for lunch with about 1/2 cup tofu
    Calnaturale svelte protein shake at around 3:30pm
    high-vegetable/protein dinner around 500 calories

I may try to eat a bit more small, healthy snacks throughout the day to see if that helps. (almonds, hummus and veggies, etc.)

Thanks for your advice!
  • elenjay140
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing as Jane. If you cut caffeine then that is the most likely culprit. And if you are not eating enough calories then that could also cause you to feel weak and just not good. FWIW, I lost weight by reducing my calorie intake. I didn't give up any of the foods I liked in order to lose weight.

I don't think caffeine is the culprit. I only drink 1 (sometimes 2) cups of black tea in the morning. I'm not a coffee drinker. I do feel much better today, so I think either my body is adjusting...or maybe I was just having a bad couple of days of sleep coming back from the Thanksgiving holiday.

Thanks for your input!
  • elenjay140
    Options
    by 'no sugar' do you mean no processed sugar (e.g. sugar in coffee, candy or soda)?

Right, I mean no processed sugar. I'm not a coffee drinker, just black tea. It was mostly cutting out things like chocolate, cookies, or other desserts. I also avoided things like cereal that has added sugar, and other foods with 'hidden' processed sugars. I haven't had any the past few days, but I, of course, still plan on having natural sugars like fruits! Also pure honey and maple syrup, and stevia if the occasion calls for it.
  • elenjay140
    Options
    You posted this same question already, so I'll ask again-is there a medical reason why you're eliminating sugar and making such drastic changes to what you're eating?

Sorry, I posted the first question with poor internet connection and didn't realize that it had gone through!

I'll preface by saying that i do feel much better today. Perhaps I was having a particularly rough day being tired and stressed following the Thanksgiving holiday.

No medical reason. I just felt that my sugar intake was way too high, and I found myself feeling sluggish in the afternoon after having something like a cookie with lunch, or granola cereal (that had processed sugar in it) for breakfast. Just in general, I'm trying to cut down on my processed sugar intake.
  • elenjay140
    Options
    It took me about 2 weeks to fully adjust to the changes I made in my diet.

That's what I've read in other places online. It takes a body time to adjust to a healthier diet. I will say, that I feel much better today. I'll post in a couple of weeks to see how things are progressing!
  • elenjay140
    Options
    It took me about 2 weeks to fully adjust to the changes I made in my diet.

Same here, but hunger was my main issue - I don't recognise the general malaise and misery the OP describes.

I do feel better today than I did a couple of days ago. Maybe it was an initial crash for a couple of days (combined with other factors like sleep and travel from Thanksgiving). I'll post again in a week or so to check in!

Thanks for the input.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No sugar would make anyone feel crappy imo..... :smiley:

It does take time to adjust to different eating, give yourself time to adjust. There's no need to cut out certain foods, just moderate them.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    1250 is pretty low and I would feel crappy eating that. If it doesn't get better over the long haul, consider a less aggressive goal so that you can sustain it without feeling bad.
  • elenjay140
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you eating enough?

Also, sounds a bit like low carb "flu"...there's lots of healthy "clean" carbs out there and more to healthy eating than just veggies.

You're probably right. I did cut the carbs for a couple of days, but should work on introducing these "clean" carbs back in. For example, I had 100% whole grain pasta last night mixed with beans and tomatoes, etc. (kind of a pasta-chili dish that I found online for clean eating).

I'm new to this, so I'm looking forward to the input and advice of the MFP community! :)
  • elenjay140
    Options
    @elenjay140 You got some answers on yesterday's thread about this same topic and some questions that might help. You haven't come back to either thread as far as I can see. I truly hope that you figure out what's going on and find a way to move forward with this, but people here cannot help you if you won't let them.

Hi - I'm relatively new to posting on the MFP community page, so bear with me as I figure out how/when to post and check replies! I had posted the first question with poor internet connection, so I didn't know that it had gone through.

Thanks for your input!
  • elenjay140
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    elenjay140 wrote: »
    Hi - I'm on Day 3 of eating very clean and healthy. No sugar, high veggies and protein. I've got a dull headache, somewhat nauseous, and felt shaky last night.

I'm sure my body is just crashing from the sugar and processed food addiction, and I've read it can take a week or more for your body to adjust...but I'm just looking for some encouragement that others out there have felt crummy after starting to eat healthy!

I've tried eating like that in the past and each time I felt exactly what you're describing. For me, although the headaches passed, I never got my energy back and I always felt bad about not being able to eat the foods that I actually wanted to eat. The only thing I've ever been able to stick to was eating foods I loved, but being in a calorie deficit. I found that it wasn't the food that was making me feel bad, it was the amount of which I was eating and the feeling of not being able to control myself.

With that said, there are many people here who cut out certain foods (as a lifestyle - you're planning on eating this way indefinitely, correct?) and are very happy and successful. They report feeling just fine and say they have more energy than ever.

ETA: I wish you the best with your plan and hope you feel better!

Thanks for the encouragement! :) I'm trying to cut back on processed sugar. I found myself feeling sluggish in the afternoons at work, and tired by the evening after eating poorly during the day. My problem with just eating at a calorie deficit is that I have a problem having (for example) just ONE or TWO Hershey Kisses. If I 'break the seal' by having just a couple, then I crave more! I've found that I'm better off having none at all. That helps reduce the craving more than trying to discipline myself to have just a couple. (That's just one example.)

Thanks again. I'll post back in a week or so to check in! :)
  • elenjay140
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    What do you net carbs look like in the nutrition tab? If you are unintentionally eating at keto levels and not minding your electrolytes this could be keto flu as well

Thanks for the input!
  • elenjay140
    Options
    This too shall pass....

Thanks for the encouragement :)
  • elenjay140
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Its called the hangover period... I've done two rounds of whole30, and days 2-4 just sucks. It will pass. If you feel lightheaded and weak maybe up your carbs, have some sweet potatoes or bananas or other fruit, it should help

Sweet potatoes, chicken, and broccoli are on the dinner menu for tonight! :)
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Having done what you're doing 2 times now, my suggestion would be to add in some fruit. How did you arrive at 1250? Is that what MFP put you at?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Its called the hangover period... I've done two rounds of whole30, and days 2-4 just sucks. It will pass. If you feel lightheaded and weak maybe up your carbs, have some sweet potatoes or bananas or other fruit, it should help

Sweet potatoes, chicken, and broccoli are on the dinner menu for tonight! :)

Wow, that sounds good. I bet you will feel better soon. :)

• elenjay140
    Options
    Having done what you're doing 2 times now, my suggestion would be to add in some fruit. How did you arrive at 1250? Is that what MFP put you at?

Yes, I'm 5'7, and weighed about 190 in December 2015. I was able to get down to 179 by April, but have since gained weight back to about 185. I've re-adjusted my MFP goals since then, and it still has me at 1250.

My GW is 150, and I'd like to lose 2lbs/week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm 5'7, and weighed about 190 in December 2015. I was able to get down to 179 by April, but have since gained weight back to about 185. I've re-adjusted my MFP goals since then, and it still has me at 1250.

Change it to one pound per week, you will be much happier. Trust me.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that dictates what you can and cannot eat, there's really no such thing as 'clean' eating. It's a term used for people who like to eat unprocessed foods, but using it to fuel a diet by just eating a lot of veggies isn't really 'clean' eating. Having said that, eating all unprocessed foods would be a good thing, don't misunderstand. But one type of carb over another, or trying to lower carbs, isn't really necessary unless you're eating beyond your set macros. As long as you set your daily calorie goal below your TDEE you'll lose weight. Beyond that you can eat whatever makes you happy, including sugar if you want.

I, personally, avoid adding sugar to things, and when I have the chance to eat something that is 'no sugar added' I do. I even use Stevia in my coffee and other drinks when I have that option. I do that because it reduces calories, not because I have a medical issue. I also love to eat fresh or fresh frozen vegetables as opposed to processed or canned vegetables, but that's just my personal preference. Usually it's because processed/canned means added sodium which I would like to avoid going overboard with for my long term health.

Carbs give your body energy, so probably 40% of your diet should be carbs. Your body turns those into sugars for energy, so yes, if you have a medical condition, then you can reduce carbs for that reason. I guess my point is take a good look at your calories, make sure you're eating enough but staying in a deficit, and beyond that, eat what makes you feel good or satiates you. It's called flexible dieting. You can read more about it over at IIFYM and they also have some really nice calculators you can use to figure your TDEE. You can even use the results for macros that they give you to plug into MFP. Plenty of people here can help you do that if you need help. Remember, it's healthier to lose weight on a steady but long term basis, not quickly and as much at once as you can. Add in exercise for fitness along the journey and you're liable to end up at your goal being more fit, more active, and able to maintain your newly re-configured body rather than having to come back here in a few months or years to re-lose that weight again. Just my humble opinions. I'm sure others will disagree with me, and I am certainly no expert.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Change it to one pound per week, you will be much happier. Trust me.

Yes, two pounds is too aggressive with the ammount that you have to lose. You'll feel better if you adjust your goal to 1 pound per week. I've found that I get the same symptoms you describe when I'm eating too little.