Any Runners?

Options
Looking for motivation again! I can run 12 miles but looking to increase my mileage! I also started dieting again because my weight increased when my mileage increased...... I obviously thought that I could eat whatever when I run!

Replies

• _amjad93
    _amjad93 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love running but i don't have the motivation to do it :disappointed:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Runner here! I run daily, 7-13 miles.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. Mostly only on the weekends, ranging from 5k to 13.1
  • sarabarnett64
    sarabarnett64 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried to add both of you but I was not able to figure it out!
  • markweitz
    markweitz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm running a bit now, about 35 miles a week I think. It's mostly trail running. I'm training for this run on 12/17:

http://insidetrail.com/calendar/woodside-ramble-trail-run-winter/

I have been running the half marathon route for the last few Saturdays. It is pretty hard for a novice runner.

Are you on Strava? I find the combination of Strava and my new Garmin running watch to both be good motivators.

If you want to increase mileage, find one of the half marathon plans online and just follow it for 12 or 16 weeks. I'm sort of crazy, I went from running 3 miles a few times a week, to 5 miles 5 times a week to adding an 8 mile run, then adding a 13.1 mile run so now I do 5,8,5,3 (recovery), off, 13, off.

Here is my last run on the half course (it misses a couple miles in the forested areas, so the actual is between 13.1 and 13.5).

https://www.strava.com/activities/786317998

I'm not sure how to share my Garmin profile, but my "watch" records most any activity; biking, hiking, running, swimming etc then puts it in Garmin Connect. From there it automatically transfers to MyFitnessPal and Strava. MFP shares calories with Garmin, and my Garmin keeps a running tally of what I've eaten, how much I've exercised and how many calories I have left for the day.

Feel free to add me to MFP if you can figure out how, I'm not sure how to do it. I'll try to add you too.

Mark

• sarabarnett64
    sarabarnett64 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do trail running too! I have been following an ultra training group but they are pretty intense!

Do you have a half marathon training plan you recommend?

I have a garmin running watch but it is not user friendly and I need to replace it.

I hope to run the half marathon in Hilton Head in February!
    My current running plan is 6,6,off,6,off,10,12. I know it is not the correct way because I am really tired by Monday.

• Spartan1230
    Spartan1230 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A year ago if you told me I would be running as I do now I would have laughed at you. Now it's a must. Although this cold air is for the birds when it comes to running. Working on endurance more than long distance now. Having running friends would be great on here. Add if you like. :)
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Feel free to add me if you like(anyone can) , i'm on here everyday and try to support as best as I can.

I love running and was training for a 100 miler but currently out of action recovering from a broken ankle.

Hope to get back to it soon.
  • tcthept1
    tcthept1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    fellow runner here. ultimate is to run the london marathon before i hit 40 :smile: feel free to add
  • Legigi90
    Legigi90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Runner here! I run daily, 7-13 miles.

That is great! I started running like 4 months ago. Before I couldn't even run half a mile. Even though it isn't much, but now I run 3 miles. But unfortunately I can't run everyday. My knees hurt (well one knee) what do you recommend to do for this since you run daily?
    Is it my shoes?
    Should I wear a knee pad?
    Should I massage, take Advil, eat something? Lol
    I love running and don't wanna stop.

• Legigi90
    Legigi90 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    As I said above to user (michellemybell) I need help. I love running and I want to run more and everyday but I cannot cause my one knee hurts the next day. Should I just keep running even though it bothers? Is it like a get to use to thing?
  • Spartan1230
    Spartan1230 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Legigi90 wrote: »
    I run 1/2 marathons! Feel free to add me and we can discuss our sport!

As I said above to user (michellemybell) I need help. I love running and I want to run more and everyday but I cannot cause my one knee hurts the next day. Should I just keep running even though it bothers? Is it like a get to use to thing?

I have the same thing. It's my right knee. It was bad when I first started running longer distances. It's gotten better since I started. It's helped me to do a better job at warming up with a brisk walk for awhile and stretching. I am also paying more attention to my form and stride. I run in Merrell minimalist style shoes so for me there was a slight learning curve as well.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love running and run 6 - 7 miles 5 times a week. There is another thread here called 'December 2016 Running Challenge'. It is filled with runners both beginning and hard core. They are all super nice and helpful. Feel free to add me if you like. Just keep running. :p
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Looking for motivation again! I can run 12 miles but looking to increase my mileage! I also started dieting again because my weight increased when my mileage increased...... I obviously thought that I could eat whatever when I run!

Awesome ~ While you're far past me in mileage, I'm far past you in age. lol.... I'm workinbg my way up to run my first Half in April. Feel free to add me... I'm at 12 miles a week now... but steadliy increasing.
  • wtorrey98
    wtorrey98 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Legigi90, ..... Could be runners knee. Runners knee you'll notice the pain as you run. Best method I used was I watch a YouTube video how to tape runners knee with KT tape, found at Wal-Mart or any runners store. Worked great for me so I could keep running!!! Hope this helps?!!!
  • reputationtacos
    reputationtacos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    About 10k daily here - Strava?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Quite a few distance runners in this thread. If you're looking to connect with other runners, try this group: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

I'm a runner as well and will be starting training for another half marathon next week (in VA at the end of February).

HI!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do trail running too! I have been following an ultra training group but they are pretty intense!

Do you have a half marathon training plan you recommend?

I have a garmin running watch but it is not user friendly and I need to replace it.

I hope to run the half marathon in Hilton Head in February!
    My current running plan is 6,6,off,6,off,10,12. I know it is not the correct way because I am really tired by Monday.

Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Half Marathon training program is what I used last time I ran a half, and I loved the program and had no issues running the race. :) It's free via Google.