Do you log all of your vegetables?

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why it's easier to omit logging certain things, seems to me it's easier just to log everything.

This, although I also often just estimate a cup of spinach or arugula or whatever if making a salad. Especially since washing it messes up the weight.

But deciding what to log and what not to would take me more time and mental effort than just logging everything (when logging -- I'm not currently).
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I log ALL my veggies, because I'm not only tracking my calories , but my micros too, especially fibre.

Agreed. I log all of mine. Spinach may not have many calories, but it has a lot of Vit K. I try to reach a variety of macro and micro targets. The best way to do that is to weigh and log it all. I hit all of my vitamin targets, and most of my minerals (ETA: today I did, the two previous days I hit everything except the Vit K, but I was over on that today, thanks to the spinach, numbers are neat).

And this. I love logging vegetables because I like trying to eat a lot and a good variety and it allows me to look back and see if I've been in a rut mostly eating broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach or some such and to remember to branch out, as well as to get ideas from past meals. Skipping the vegetables (a really large portion of what I eat) wouldn't give me a fair reflection of my diet at all, and when logging I want to be able to see my overall diet, not just to track calories (although the veg I eat add up anyway).
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do, and I weigh them. I guess I average something like 600g of fruit and veg (majority veg) per day, so it's significant.

Sometimes I forget to weigh veg while I'm making up a meal, and I'll estimate, and not consider it an issue. My weighing isn't super-accurate, because I'll weigh (accurately) pre-cooking and divide into eyeballed portions for me and my partner, but it will even out. I doubt that I have a systematic bias in either direction. I count the garlic as cloves, I can't be arsed to weigh them.

Sometimes I'll have a portion of fruit without weighing it - I'll usually have weighed the first piece out of the bag, and know that they are fairly uniform in that batch.

I don't weigh, measure or log herbs, spices, a splish of Lea & Perrins or Tabasco. I do if I'm using a larger quantity.

I log 10 cals for my daily cup of black sugarless coffee, which probably has almost 0, and consider that a tax to cover those splishes and flavourings.

I don't weigh things that come in factory portions with quoted calories. I know people say they can be out by quite a bit, but probably not enough to de-rail my loss. I do weigh fillets of fish or meat from frozen or chilled packets - they really are very variable.
  • glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh my veggies because as others have said, they may be light in calories, but it adds up and accuracy is important to me.

One thing that helps me make accounting for my veggies easier is to make an individual salad bowl using my food scale. I tare the bowl, have pen and paper at the ready, and add ingredients, punching tare after each addition, and jotting down the result. That way I can eyeball what I feel looks like a good amount of each ingredient, but still know exactly how much went into the salad. I even add my dressing this way as the final ingredient. I find this method makes accounting calories much easier than estimating after the fact. Weighing everything can be a challenge I've found, but apparently my 'eyeballs' are VERY inaccurate when it comes to volume and weight. So I am reteaching myself portion size!
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yes and no, like sometimes I'll make a huge bin of salad and log everything which is normally 35cal a serving, so often I just use those numbers anyway.

Sometimes I forget and have lost weight just fine. I still have enough left to lose though that my deficit isn't so small that 50 calories could hurt it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth. Low-cal raw veggies like broccoli, grape tomatoes, celery, lettuce, etc. that I've weighed and eaten over and over and over now get eyeballed and logged with the numbers already saved in my diary.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I weigh them because I weigh everything. With only 1250 calories each day, I must be certain. Plus, I eat a good deal of vegetables. Half my diet would be missing if I didn't log them.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The only thing I haven't logged 100% is lettuce, just because I'm not too concerned with it and I don't eat much of it anyway. Everything else, I log as best I can, including weighing it if I'm at home.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do if I can...sometimes it's hard to really figure out how much tomato is in a pre-made wrap or you can't measure the kale Caesar salad at a friend's house.