What's a good late night snack?

Options
What is a good late night snack while trying to lose weight? I've been told don't eat after 8pm and then other's say you can, but it should be something light.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    You can eat any time you want. Your body doesn't know time.

Personally, my last snack of the night is usually around 11 pm, and is usually a piece of toast with nutella and honey. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Kebab?
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For me, anything that doesn't have caffeine. Although, last night I had coffee ice cream and dropped right to sleep. :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your target, then it doesn't matter. Time is not important. The problem lies in people inability to control themselves later in the day when there are fewer distractions to keep them busy and willpower tends to drop.

I find spacing meals out helped curb my nighttime munchies. I used to split my traditional dinner in half, eat the second half later in the evening...just kind of helped make me feel satisfied over the long haul without adding calories to my daily total. I don't need to do this anymore, and now I like to have my late night power shake before bed. Just kind of my reward for a hard days work and discipline.

I will also point out that due to my work schedule, we tend to eat dinner earlier in the evening than most people (430am). This makes it tough for me to not eat late at night. Find a way that allows you to consistently hit your targets. Meal timing is very personal and often overlooked as a way to curb binges.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn...be sure it's a variety without a lot of butter. A serving for about 140 calories can be 4.5 CUPS!!!
  • 87sid
    87sid Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want. My ultimate fav is a salted caramel pretzel skinny cow ice cream bar. So good!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your calories/macros. I like a dessert type of thing that has a decent amount of protein. Protein fluff, a shake, halo top, some kind of macro friendly baked thingie if I'm not lazy. I also just like a nice cup of hot chocolate with almond milk. I use the "lite" packages and add some unsweetened cocoa powder and a bit of My Protein zero calorie flavor drops.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream or popcorn. Skinny Cow or an ice cream sandwich are pretty low cal if I am cutting, or the real stuff if I'm not.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Anything. Anytime. Anywhere.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I ended up eating some Progressive soup before bed time. But, I am going grocery shopping later today, so I will be sure to pick up some of the stuff you guys have listed. Thank you! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Microwave popcorn...be sure it's a variety without a lot of butter. A serving for about 140 calories can be 4.5 CUPS!!!

I make mine with an air popper, but my favorite snack is popcorn. Always popcorn. I spray it as it comes out the chute with olive oil spray and sprinkle on various things, depending on my mood.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If I eat popcorn, we have one of those little theater popcorn machines and the popcorn seasonings or if I don't feel like messing with the kernel's, I just buy the stove top ones. If I buy cottage cheese I'm the only one that eats it. I have it with fruit or some kind of flavored chips. As for ice cream the store by my house only sells one kind of skinny cow ice cream which is the caramel chocolate bars.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I'll usually eat either a slice of cheese or a glass of milk. That fills me up and has some protein to work on rebuilding muscles. A banana or an apple will also work.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Last night I had plain fat free Greek yogurt with a little Splenda sprinkled in to sweeten it. A decent sized serving is just a little over 100 cals and it has a ton of protein.

I also like baking a quest bar for dessert. It makes 4 "cookies".

Sugar free jello or pudding cups with cool whip are light too.

I have Special k chips sometimes. Similar to popcorn in that you get high volume for 120 calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal (right now it's fruit loops) as I'm sitting in bed
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    What is a good late night snack while trying to lose weight? I've been told don't eat after 8pm and then other's say you can, but it should be something light.

16 ounce ribeye cooked restaurant style in my cast iron skillet...

...as long as it meets your CICO equation for the day. B)
  • JanTee19
    JanTee19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like some Fage natural greek yoghurt, some nutella and a chopped up banana thrown in. Or a pack of 4 Belvita biscuits