Running a (short) race without any training

Options
chelios7
chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
First off, I don't enjoy running, but I thought I'd challenge myself with a 5k some day. Well, my community is having a race day in a couple weeks and one of the races is a 4 mile run. I thought about entering, my question is, how important is run training prior to the race? Granted, it's "just" 4 miles, for some that is nothing, but the most I've ever run at once was maybe 7 miles. I'm in relatively decent shape thanks to a recent round of P90X. So, I plan to just show up and run it and do the best I can. Is this a bad idea or should I just go for it? And no, I don't want to run at all to get ready for it. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Just do it! What do you have to lose? You may be sore or not have the fastest time but do you really care about that?
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do a trial and put on the runners and get out one of these days and try to run 5k to see how you feel? I know you say you don't like running but that will give you a better idea of what you need and how you'll feel.

If you do it sooner rather then later you can even correct something that you may notice during your practice run.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You don't want to run at all but you want to run 4 miles...? You can do it with no training but you'll probably hurt for a few days after. I think it's a bad idea to just run 4 miles out of the blue when you could use the next few weeks to help your body get ready. If you want to abuse yourself go for it, no one will stop you.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you're not new to exercise, you'll probably be fine. Just remember to take it easy and not all out sprint the whole thing! Don't get mad at yourself if you feel you need a walk break. It's fine, just have fun! I ran a 5k a couple weeks ago and a good friend of mine who is an athlete (though not a distance runner) finished faster than me and I've been training!!!! Go for it... and have fun!
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i just did the same thing this past weekend: i ran an 8k without any training on sunday! my muscles hadn't fully recovered til today tho, just warning you!!
  • Minilover36
    Minilover36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    4 miles is A LOT for someone that hasnt trained. I can stop running for a few weeks and its like I have to start all over again! Go ahead and do it if you like but I wouldnt count on being able to run the entire time. And if your in the south the heat makes it really hard!!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Warning: Large Dose of Reality:

Very bad idea. At a certain age, we don't bounce back like we used to in younger, bolder times.

You will be miserable throughout the race, in pain after (and possilby during) the race and you are at a definite risk of injuring yourself.

I've had acute and chronic injuries myself from running that interfered with day to day activities... like walking...and it's taken me a couple of years to bounce back.

I highly recommend you don't feed your ego in this way.

Find something you enjoy doing and set a challenge in that area.

EDIT - I just read your profile. You fractured your spine in the last year that you are just recovered from???? You should seriously check with your doctor before doing any running. Running compresses the spine - not worth risking re-injury for something you don't even enjoy doing.
  • Maggie_Haleen
    Options
    That's a great challenge! I started training for a 5km back in April and ran one at the end of May and it was a challenge, but I was able to run the entire thing, although I was slow!
    If I were you I would at least try to run a 3 or 4km before the race. This way you can get an idea of what the distance is and you'll know how to pace yourself for the 5km. If you just wing it, you're going to start out way too fast and try to keep up with everyone else who just guns it out of the gate! Start at the back, pace yourself and along the way all those other people who sprinted out will end up slowing down or stopping and you'll pass them and it will feel great!
    Good luck!!:tongue:
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would train for a few weeks before the race. I started by running two minutes and walking one minute. After two weeks I could run two miles without stopping. Plus it's important to stretch before you run. I learned the hard way. Good luck!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you don't train beforehand, you might want to plan out some run/walk intervals in advance (to keep yourself from overdoing it at the beginning of the race and not being able to finish).
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I should clarify a few things. I do cardio exercises (I'm doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid schedule right now) and am a somewhat avid rollerblader (I can easily blade 15 miles). I also don't plan to win the thing, I won't be running a 5 minute mile, I'd be happy to finish in under an hour, but a stretch goal for me is 45 minutes. The fractured spine was from almost exactly a year ago and was fully healed by last winter, as confirmed by xrays and a doctor. I realize, ideally I should train for it, but as I mentioned, I don't enjoy running, particularily on my own. In a race setting and with a companion perhaps, I might enjoy it. Really, it's just for the challenge and to see if I can do it. I think I can, but I wanted to get some opinions just to see what I might expect from others who have been there, done that. Interesting to see the variety of opinions and feedback. I appreciate it all. If you have anything else to offer, I will certainly read it. Thanks.