I lost 70 pounds, now gained 10 pounds and binge eating

Options
So, I started the year at 200 pounds, I am 5'7".

During my weight loss I would eat 1500 - 1800 calories daily, from January to June - 6 months I dropped 70 pounds, I made it down to 140 and went from a 38 waist to a 30, I eventually lost 10 more pounds and leveled out at 130 and I stayed that way to the end of September.

I was determined and motivated to change my life, I have always told myself to control the things I can and let go of the things I can't. I felt my weight was something I could control so I did it. In the great words of Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try." I did it, I lost a hell of alot of weight. Throughout my life, weight and food have always been that battle that I could never seem to get in check, I am an ex: smoker, drinker, and drug addict, but my weight and food always remained.

In October I increased my calories to maintenance mode 2,500 calories. This is when the trouble began...

In late October, I would get cravings for sweets, something I never used to have trouble with. Normally I would be satisfied eating a half cup of low cal vanilla ice cream (1/2 Cup @ 80 Cal) with some PB2 and unsweetened cocoa powder on top - about 140 calories, or a skinny cow ice cream sandwich at 150 calories.

Now I find myself eating the ice cream, the skinny cow, a fudge pop, then craving more sweets I end up grabbing a clif bar, then by the time is all said and done, I have eaten a chocolate bar, and a few other things... I still log everything and end up eating way too much. This happens in the evenings, after dinner.

For example, today I had a 400 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch, a 200 calorie afternoon snack, a 600 calorie dinner, and a 200 calorie dessert. Then did a sugar binge and ate an additional 2000 calories of sweets - and I feel like poop - like my stomach hurts, i'm bloated, I don't feel well.

I did good yesterday, eating 1,800 calories but blew it hard today. Worst of all, I have gained 10 pounds since the end of october and my pants are fitting more snug than when I first bought them a couple of months back.

I do exercise regularly. I run 2-4 miles every single day, I average 20,000 steps and usually make it up to 30,000 during the week. I do upper body workouts for 30 minutes every other day. I just need to find a way to relax and stop eating.

I think this is more of a confessional post rather than asking for advice, but all advice is appreciated. I know I need to have willpower and self control.

I know I need to ask myself if I am hungry or not, if I am not hungry I don't need to eat.
I know I need to have self control.
I know just because I want something doesn't mean I need it.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Do you have these sweets in your house? Maybe don't purchase them anymore for home. Only eat them when going out or at a friends house. Perhaps buy the single serve options?

You've lost 70 lbs already, you'll figure it out.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Do you have these sweets in your house? Maybe don't purchase them anymore for home. Only eat them when going out or at a friends house. Perhaps buy the single serve options?

You've lost 70 lbs already, you'll figure it out.

This is a good suggestion, I should get rid of the sweets in the house. I feel like ridding them from the house makes me weak, or its an excuse somehow - because I have always had sweets in the house and it never used to be an issue until the last couple of months. However, there is no harm in ridding the house of sweets if that will help get rid of the temptation of overeating from sweets.

• starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with night sugar/chocolate eating. I'm still in losing mode, so it has not been a problem yet, but as a yo-yo dieter, I know it is my weakness. It's when I get complacent and bored with the weight loss that I go back to this habit. Not keeping it in the house is a good idea from one from the above posters. Instead of eating everything but the item we want, better to "earn it" by getting it in single serving or pre-plan by exercising first.
  • ecutler100
    ecutler100 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sugar Blues book. Sugar cravings are an addiction. To change the environment is good (don't sit and watch TV and eat), def get trigger foods out of house, go to bed earlier, -- the less sugar you eat now, then the less you will crave-your taste buds will tell you things are too sweet. Reaching out online was good. Find other things activities to replace w/o/eating. I'm doing creative projects and getting bed earlier and reading. Good luck, and good night.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is any help or not but what I have found is when I start craving alot it's because I have fallen back to old patterns of eating. In my case too much carb and not enough vegetables. The veggies add bulk and tend to make you feel more satisfied. I also agree with the post about sugar. I absolutely can't even go there. Some things in my life can never go back to the way they were. On the upside you are looking for answers and still doing amazing exercise. Hang in there and try some different approaches to your macros. Maybe more protein and a bit less carb?
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Goodness me, this is like me writing my problems. This is exactly what I am going through but I am probably more extreme. I do a crazy amount of exercise (according to my FitBiy my body burns over 3500 cals daily from standard plus exercise). I got past down my goal weight a while ago but now I have a big binge at night. Lots of salad and all that but then after dinner its cookies, yogurts, ice creams all in one go and I am always still well under my calorie target (over 1000+ most days just in case FitBit overestimated). I barely eat anything during the day, maybe a salad which I ge t made at work for roughly 150-200 cals tops.

I need to learn to manage myself better but don't know how.
  • imanbekkali
    imanbekkali Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem,and even worst i think. I lost more almost 30 pounds last year (part of my new year's resolutions) and inwas so proud of myself. The key for me was to become vegetarian, and to tell everyone about my plan. This leads me to have more control over what i eat, and how much,to the point where i became obsessed with food, daily exercise, calories. I did handle it for almost a year,but when i moved to another country last semptembern i found myself binge eating on all the sweets and processed food i used to avoid "because i couldn't allow myself to eat them in front of people" (for me it meat losing control and being weak). Now that i live in a country where no body knows me, i feel like i don't owe anything to anybody. And even though the supermarket is in the suburbs, i go their each time i crave something. Sometimes it feels like I'm hypnotized, and when I realize what i did until i find myself surrounded by the empty packages of cookies, pastries and sweets.. it's always too late!
    It's really scary, and i feel more and more alone and find it more difficult to go out and meet people become i feel so disgusting and i don't want the others to look at me and judge my weakness.
    I'm going back home in 6 weeks, and i don't want my friends or my family to realize that i gained weight.. it would be a disaster for me!! Please HELP ME!
  • EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You already know how to do this.

Are you using food to cope? What are you feeling when you get these cravings? Find different coping mechanisms.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts: was130 too low? That seems low and maybe your body is trying to regulate back up.

Second...I could not control sweets. One year ago this month I stopped cold turkey. It took me several weeks to decide when to stop and be firm in my commitment. I still look at them..sometimes the a sniff, and think that probably tastes yummy. Then I move on. I know if I eat it I will binge. My family keeps sweets in the house and because I abstain 100% it's not a temptation to me. I still can't believe it's been a year. I was a hard core sugar addict. Now i eat a piece of fruit when I want that taste of sweet after dinner.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Replace the sweet calories for fruit.....have an extra piece of bread or cup of milk......it's sugar addiction......I know, if I stay away I'm ok, if I indulge, I find it hard to control to 1 portion only......
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support everyone! I think 130 may have been too low for me. Then I made poor choices in what I ate when my appetite wasn't satisfied. All sweets have been removed except for fudge pops and sugar free pudding mix. This way, if I do have a sweet tooth I have a low calorie option and have to go out of my way to mix up the pudding. :smile:

I've been back on track and bumped myself to 2,500 calories.
  • Deeptisingh
    Deeptisingh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have quit sugar, but got leeched out to savoury crunchy Indian snacks. Seems like I am my best sabotage agent.
    You have still lost 60 lbs I wish I could do that☺
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I lost 25 pounds over the course of a year being very disciplined to MFP. Hit my goal then celebrated by putting 10 lbs on over the course of two months. Too much ice cream, fast food, etc. Back on MFP again planning out how I'll do it differently.

I went through this a few years back though and had success on maintenance by slightly under eating maintenance calories during the week then allowing myself a free day on Sundays. Will need to get back to that routine this next go around.