124»

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Sometimes with written communication things can come across more harsh than they are intended so I'd like to preface this by saying that I don't mean any of this maliciously and I am attempting to Point something out to help you better understand the issue.

The very fact that you asked how many reps you should be doing is precisely why you do not have the knowledge level required to design a reasonably effective and efficient program for your goals.
    Ok the reason why I asked is. Side there are so many programs that do 8-10 reps and then tons that do 12-15. Some even say you should max out 6-8. So I got a bit confused as to what is best. Miss reps with a bit lighter weight or heavy and less reps.

Generally speaking, heavier loads tend to promote strength. And heavier loads force fewer reps.

Lighter loads allow more repetitions to be done.

Generally speaking, training volume tends to promote muscle growth however the lower the weight relative your strength levels may require a disproportionate amount of volume to produce the same hypertrophic response.

For example you could do heavy sets of three and get very strong and you could also get larger muscles if you're doing enough heavy sets of three to accumulate training volume.

However, heavy sets generally require longer rest periods, they may be more demanding on soft tissues and so they may promote injury, and so in many cases it's not practical to do enough heavy and low repetition work to use it as a primary means of muscle growth.

Rep ranges that are closer to the 8 to 12 rep range at an appropriate weight for that rep range which is a key point, tend to allow you to accumulate training volume in a more efficient manner because you can get more done.

Fortunately, we are not required to only use one repetition range and so some programs include multiple ranges depending on the exercise.

I'm posting this from my phone hence the grammatical errors but you could look up some of Brad Schoenfeld's blog posts and research on this topic to get more detailed information if you would like.

Also consider that none of this is black-and-white on and off type of scenarios. While strength and muscle growth are not the same thing, there is a lot of overlap in between the two and so especially in someone who is untrained, you will see significant improvements to both in a wide range of rep targets.

This response is SO good and SO full of expert-level knowledge and understanding of training goals and the nuances required, it brings a tear to my eye.
  • rbaldwin21
    rbaldwin21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are so many free programs available. Sparkpeople.com allows to download many exercise programs that you generate with your preferences . Although I often go to the gym, I can do something at home. I use resistance bands often-- cheaper and a lot of exercises for them.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I follow my own lifting programme but that was only after spending weeks using Fitness blender and Jessica Smith strength workouts. Once I learned form and what exercises to do I just got on with it - it makes for a more efficient workout :smile: For me its about less reps with increased weight. Every 6 weeks I take a full week off from lifting and then I deload, and start over again, increasing weights bit by bit. I use various dumbbells.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Sometimes with written communication things can come across more harsh than they are intended so I'd like to preface this by saying that I don't mean any of this maliciously and I am attempting to Point something out to help you better understand the issue.

The very fact that you asked how many reps you should be doing is precisely why you do not have the knowledge level required to design a reasonably effective and efficient program for your goals.
    Ok the reason why I asked is. Side there are so many programs that do 8-10 reps and then tons that do 12-15. Some even say you should max out 6-8. So I got a bit confused as to what is best. Miss reps with a bit lighter weight or heavy and less reps.

Generally speaking, heavier loads tend to promote strength. And heavier loads force fewer reps.

Lighter loads allow more repetitions to be done.

Generally speaking, training volume tends to promote muscle growth however the lower the weight relative your strength levels may require a disproportionate amount of volume to produce the same hypertrophic response.

For example you could do heavy sets of three and get very strong and you could also get larger muscles if you're doing enough heavy sets of three to accumulate training volume.

However, heavy sets generally require longer rest periods, they may be more demanding on soft tissues and so they may promote injury, and so in many cases it's not practical to do enough heavy and low repetition work to use it as a primary means of muscle growth.

Rep ranges that are closer to the 8 to 12 rep range at an appropriate weight for that rep range which is a key point, tend to allow you to accumulate training volume in a more efficient manner because you can get more done.

Fortunately, we are not required to only use one repetition range and so some programs include multiple ranges depending on the exercise.

I'm posting this from my phone hence the grammatical errors but you could look up some of Brad Schoenfeld's blog posts and research on this topic to get more detailed information if you would like.

Also consider that none of this is black-and-white on and off type of scenarios. While strength and muscle growth are not the same thing, there is a lot of overlap in between the two and so especially in someone who is untrained, you will see significant improvements to both in a wide range of rep targets.

This response is SO good and SO full of expert-level knowledge and understanding of training goals and the nuances required, it brings a tear to my eye.

Thank you ;)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I found this thread to be confusing. Copying down the exercises from an established routine IS following an established routine. I've done 4 different lifting programs and haven't paid for any, other than buying a couple of books (Strong Curves & New Rules of Lifting). And you might find those at a library.
    By following an established lifting program it takes the guesswork out of how many reps.
    I'm currently doing PHUL, a 4 day split routine (intermediate). I have to modify it because I workout from home and don't have a leg press machine. Just a power cage, barbell, weights & dumbbells. When I modify a program I make sure I replace the exercise with a similar one. Like, if it's a push or pull exercise replace it with a similar one using equipment I have. But, I'm still following PHUL. I know whether it's a Upper Power day or Lower Hypertrophy day.
    Find a program that fits your goals. Previous posters gave you good advice & links. Modify it as you need and enjoy.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I found this thread to be confusing. Copying down the exercises from an established routine IS following an established routine. I've done 4 different lifting programs and haven't paid for any, other than buying a couple of books (Strong Curves & New Rules of Lifting). And you might find those at a library.
    By following an established lifting program it takes the guesswork out of how many reps.
    I'm currently doing PHUL, a 4 day split routine (intermediate). I have to modify it because I workout from home and don't have a leg press machine. Just a power cage, barbell, weights & dumbbells. When I modify a program I make sure I replace the exercise with a similar one. Like, if it's a push or pull exercise replace it with a similar one using equipment I have. But, I'm still following PHUL. I know whether it's a Upper Power day or Lower Hypertrophy day.
    Find a program that fits your goals. Previous posters gave you good advice & links. Modify it as you need and enjoy.

I'm with you, I'm confused too. It seems like people are saying use an established online program, and the OP is saying, but why can't I write this program down on a piece of paper and use it at home? The good news is that you can.

An online program doesn't mean a website where somebody makes you pay to use their training program. Just search for a program online that fits your needs, or find it in a book, and use that, instead of trying to create your own, if you aren't sure about to do.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Sumiblue wrote: »

I'm with you, I'm confused too. It seems like people are saying use an established online program, and the OP is saying, but why can't I write this program down on a piece of paper and use it at home? The good news is that you can.

An online program doesn't mean a website where somebody makes you pay to use their training program. Just search for a program online that fits your needs, or find it in a book, and use that, instead of trying to create your own, if you aren't sure about to do.

Well yes I want to write it durn in paper but I need to make it work for my bad knees. I can't do certain exercises and needed to make sure I covered all areas when I create a new plan so it's balanced properly. Then making sure I was in the right rep range but that seems to be all over the place on what's best etc.
    So I'm going to try to create a 3 day full body plan using 10-12 reps. I'll post it on here to see what the " experts " say ;)
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The blogs on mfp are loaded with suggested plans that you could draw from if that helps. Here's two, but more are easy to find.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/improve-fitness-fast-30-day-dumbbell-plan/
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/hiit-calisthenics-common/?bb=disable

Maybe you could also consider something like the WOSS straps. They may help you to control your squats, or what ever you choose for legs, to help avoid hurting your knees any further.

https://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Trainer-Black-Suspension/dp/B00HHZRA0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480641498&sr=8-3&keywords=woss+attack+trainer

Hope this helps some.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    The blogs on mfp are loaded with suggested plans that you could draw from if that helps. Here's two, but more are easy to find.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/improve-fitness-fast-30-day-dumbbell-plan/
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/hiit-calisthenics-common/?bb=disable

Maybe you could also consider something like the WOSS straps. They may help you to control your squats, or what ever you choose for legs, to help avoid hurting your knees any further.

https://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Trainer-Black-Suspension/dp/B00HHZRA0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480641498&sr=8-3&keywords=woss+attack+trainer

Hope this helps some.

Thank you very helpful. The first one is good but not sure what this farmers walk is all about??

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Farmers walk is when you hold heavy weight is your hands with your arms hanging and walk
  • lin7604
    Options
    Farmers walk is when you hold heavy weight is your hands with your arms hanging and walk
    Didn't think it was that simple or it would be classified as a exercise, lol
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Didn't think it was that simple or it would be classified as a exercise, lol
    I was really surprised when I started it, great workout. I admit I don't know how much of an impact there would be on your knees...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/533901-the-muscles-used-in-the-farmers-walk-exercise/
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    You can use http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html they give you a template of sorts for workouts you can do 3x a week, every other day, etc. What they then do is give you a choice of full body, push/pull and others and you pick the exercises you want to do from the list that they give you. So in a way you're designing the exercises you want to do but its in an order that's been chosen to be the most useful. I've used it before and liked it.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You can write down routines, make your own, copy others, put it on a spread sheet, pay for routines, pay for equipment, pay for a gym membership, pay for a personal trainer, and make it extremely complicated to the point of not even wanting to do it.

Or...

you could do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and run every day.

It won't cost you anything
    You won't have to write anything down
    You wont have to keep a spreadsheet

And, you'll be fit as a Soldier...:)

I think some people over complicate stuff to the point of it taking longer to plan & track then actually doing it. Don't get me wrong, I log every workout I do. But I invested in a high end fitness watch that does all that for me so I can focus on the workouts and not have to waste that time tracking and logging. I just push the go button and go. It tracks my heart rate, pace, distance, elevation, calories, VO2max, training effect, recovery, and other stuff. And it keep a detailed record of every workout so I can see my progress over time, and allows me to determine to make my next workout recovery or conditioning.

I think that following the basic principles of fitness will yield the best results because getting in shape in and of itself is hard, and overcomplicating it only makes it harder.

JMO
  • lin7604
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    You can use http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html they give you a template of sorts for workouts you can do 3x a week, every other day, etc. What they then do is give you a choice of full body, push/pull and others and you pick the exercises you want to do from the list that they give you. So in a way you're designing the exercises you want to do but its in an order that's been chosen to be the most useful. I've used it before and liked it.

That sounds excellent!!! I'm goi g to check that out thx u!!!
  • boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    boxa00 wrote: »
    Hi Lin. What is your goal in lifting weights. Would you like to get lean toned with a six pack or gain weight and bulk up?
    . My goal is very simple, lose a little body fat and just be a tad bit leaner and stronger. Not looking for a 6 pack or major definition. Just a few inches slimmer

Hi Lin. Your goal is very achievable and you are on the right track.

If you like to create your own programme. Go for it !!

If you want to use basic exercises. Go for it. !! Basic exercise have survived the test of time and have proven to have worked.

For what you would like to achieve I suggest medium weights and 12-15 reps. 3-4 exercises per muscle and 3-4 sets per exercise.

Keep the routine basic (example)
    Day 1: back and bicep
    Day 2: chest and triceps
    Day 3: legs and shoulders
    Plus 1-2 full body circuit training (your gym should have some group classes).

You can't go wrong. Good luck