Options
13»

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So, I've been on here for about a year, I've hit my goal weight and am extremely happy with my results. I eat healthy and I'm generally not tempted by naughty things often. I'm not even a "snacker."

ALL OF A SUDDEN, though, I've started having really really intense food cravings, and usually for really junky foods. Pizza, hot dogs, Taco Bell, Burgers, mac and cheese... just really carby fatty things.

I am not pregnant, for the record.

I exercise a lot and I eat at or really closely under my maintenance weight, so it's not like I'm starving myself or giving myself a crazy deficit, but even when I was at a deficit, I never had actual cravings.

Is this just a seasonal thing? Or... I don't know, I've been trying to "just not eat them" but I'm not kidding when I say that they are overwhelmingly strong.

Do I indulge occasionally? If it fits my calories and my macros, would it hurt too badly to eat like crap for a little bit?

A few causes occur to me:

1. What percent of your exercise calories do you eat back?

2. Where are you in your menstrual cycle?

3. What are your macros when you're not giving in to cravings?

I do try to eat back all my exercise calories, or at least 90% since I'm not trying to lose anymore.

I'm due for my period next week so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I was at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein apparently, I think it must have reset somewhere down the line cos that wasn't what I had originally set it to, but I changed it to 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein now on a 1,790 cal intake.

:)

I really think it's hormonal. I'm in the same boat struggling with cravings. I'm confident they will be gone next week. But the last few days I have been white knuckling it. Ugh :(
    I think you're right, ugh, it sucks!
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get intense HUNGER occasionally, and then I add a protein bar or a protein bar + plain greek yogurt snack. I stick to protein to satiate in these cases, avoiding adding carbs to my regular macros.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I get intense HUNGER occasionally, and then I add a protein bar or a protein bar + plain greek yogurt snack. I stick to protein to satiate in these cases, avoiding adding carbs to my regular macros.

Mine isn't hunger. It's an uncontrollable craving or desire for sweets. Always associated with hormones. I decided to over indulge for the first time in 8 weeks. Couldn't hold out any longer. Will be back to normal eating tomorrow.

• leejoyce31
    Options
    :p
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So, I've been on here for about a year, I've hit my goal weight and am extremely happy with my results. I eat healthy and I'm generally not tempted by naughty things often. I'm not even a "snacker."

ALL OF A SUDDEN, though, I've started having really really intense food cravings, and usually for really junky foods. Pizza, hot dogs, Taco Bell, Burgers, mac and cheese... just really carby fatty things.

I am not pregnant, for the record.

I exercise a lot and I eat at or really closely under my maintenance weight, so it's not like I'm starving myself or giving myself a crazy deficit, but even when I was at a deficit, I never had actual cravings.

Is this just a seasonal thing? Or... I don't know, I've been trying to "just not eat them" but I'm not kidding when I say that they are overwhelmingly strong.

Do I indulge occasionally? If it fits my calories and my macros, would it hurt too badly to eat like crap for a little bit?

A few causes occur to me:

1. What percent of your exercise calories do you eat back?

2. Where are you in your menstrual cycle?

3. What are your macros when you're not giving in to cravings?

I do try to eat back all my exercise calories, or at least 90% since I'm not trying to lose anymore.

I'm due for my period next week so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I was at 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein apparently, I think it must have reset somewhere down the line cos that wasn't what I had originally set it to, but I changed it to 35% carbs, 35% fat and 30% protein now on a 1,790 cal intake.

:)

I really think it's hormonal. I'm in the same boat struggling with cravings. I'm confident they will be gone next week. But the last few days I have been white knuckling it. Ugh :(
    I think you're right, ugh, it sucks!

I couldn't hold out any longer. Lol. Maybe you can hang in there until it passes. The cravings got the better of me. I don't worry about it. I'm underweight now and I stay that way to allow for cushion for those one or max 2 days every 6-8 weeks were I pig out. Today was a bit more contained. Today I'll hit a little over 3,000 calories. One time I did almost 5,000 calories. Went back to normal eating and lost 2 pounds over the next 8 weeks after that.

I used to panic when those urges hit but I know the source. I embrace it and move on. I tried to not do it this time but ended up giving in. It was good and I feel relaxed. Was too stressful trying to fight it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Its just a craving lol. I got a curry craving but no issues..just fancy a vindaloo
    stealthq wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The way you talk about craving foods you hate makes me urge you to go to a doctor. Sounds quite hormonal. I know you said you aren't pregnant, but pregnancy is the one common factor with my friends/family that have cravings for foods they hate.

I won't dicourage the OP from seeing doctor if she needs it, but I don't read her posts like that. Aren't cravings defined by exactly this, a "sudden and intense and stubborn desire for something you don't need and not even really want"? Usually triggered by exposure to - you know, the things that experts warn us against eating too much of, the stuff that has way too many calories for a small bite, foods that taste "too good", easy to eat, difficult to moderate. "Bet you can't eat just one"? The ambivalence is also driving and driven by the notion of "naughty" and "bad" foods.

No, they're not. Cravings are more general than that.

I get cravings for foods. OK, technically I rarely need them, it's not like I'm literally starving or at all malnourished, but I certainly do want them. And while sure often a craving is triggered by (for example) exposure to the treat foods at the holidays that aren't around any other time of year, or because childhood memories and traditions say I should be eating X at this time of year, I'll also get cravings for things like an apple because I just really, REALLY want something crisp, crunchy, and refreshing. Or, saltines because I've been eating things that were more bland and I just need the saltiness. Or a salad because I've been eating rich heavy foods and I want something light.
    Consider yourselves lucky that you've never experienced the PULL. Cravings for junk diminish when you eat better, and are replaced by healthy appetite, like you describe here, but for us susceptibles, cravings (I mean random, unwanted, desires, that just pop out from nowhere) don't go away.

The way you talk about craving foods you hate makes me urge you to go to a doctor. Sounds quite hormonal. I know you said you aren't pregnant, but pregnancy is the one common factor with my friends/family that have cravings for foods they hate.

I won't dicourage the OP from seeing doctor if she needs it, but I don't read her posts like that. Aren't cravings defined by exactly this, a "sudden and intense and stubborn desire for something you don't need and not even really want"? Usually triggered by exposure to - you know, the things that experts warn us against eating too much of, the stuff that has way too many calories for a small bite, foods that taste "too good", easy to eat, difficult to moderate. "Bet you can't eat just one"? The ambivalence is also driving and driven by the notion of "naughty" and "bad" foods.

Why would you crave a food you hate? OP mentioned she had a craving for hot dogs and she hates hot dogs. But wth do I know?
    I just explained it to you. I can't understand it for you.

Okay, seems like the OP's cravings weren't that INTENSE after all.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Its just a craving lol. I got a curry craving but no issues..just fancy a vindaloo

I get cravings for foods. OK, technically I rarely need them, it's not like I'm literally starving or at all malnourished, but I certainly do want them. And while sure often a craving is triggered by (for example) exposure to the treat foods at the holidays that aren't around any other time of year, or because childhood memories and traditions say I should be eating X at this time of year, I'll also get cravings for things like an apple because I just really, REALLY want something crisp, crunchy, and refreshing. Or, saltines because I've been eating things that were more bland and I just need the saltiness. Or a salad because I've been eating rich heavy foods and I want something light.
    Consider yourselves lucky that you've never experienced the PULL. Cravings for junk diminish when you eat better, and are replaced by healthy appetite, like you describe here, but for us susceptibles, cravings (I mean random, unwanted, desires, that just pop out from nowhere) don't go away.

Absolutely! I am one of the susceptible ones. My body has a strong reaction to the drop in seratonin and corresponding increase in cortisol right before menses. The PULL becomes a snatching/dragging. Lol.

I feel like Bruce Banner on the Incredible Hulk trying to fight the raging food monster within. I just give in. Some folks may be too young to remember that show.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Why would you crave a food you hate? OP mentioned she had a craving for hot dogs and she hates hot dogs. But wth do I know?

Haha they have been bad enough for me to manage fitting in Taco Bell and pizza into my weekend... I ended up buying a jar of natural peanut butter to have healthy fats and it's satisfied some of the urges to run out and binge eat all the Wendy's etc! Haha
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Haha they have been bad enough for me to manage fitting in Taco Bell and pizza into my weekend... I ended up buying a jar of natural peanut butter to have healthy fats and it's satisfied some of the urges to run out and binge eat all the Wendy's etc! Haha

Did you go over your calorie allotment ? I went way over yesterday. Back to normal today.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Our hormones do all kinds of lovely things. Is it any where near that time of the month? Perhaps your hormones around that time are fluctuating differently from what they have in the past? Just an idea.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I find that now even if I go over (way over) my body naturally compensates by not being as hungry the next day or so. The issue is usually that I have to make sure that there is no more pizza or tacos in the fridge because I will absolutely eat them whether hungry or not.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP that's what happens to me before my period. It goes away on day 2 or 3. Every single month. That's why I still keep a deficit whenever I can... it can last anywhere from 3 to 10 days (and around ovulation too).

It only started happening when I got within 5 pounds of my goal weight too. So I hear you. Good luck. It sucks.