What are your 2017 goals!

Options
So as we're getting to the end of the year I have realised I have just given up with the my journey and have stopped walking because it's too cold. I'm making excuses and not even taking advantage of my gym membership because I don't like going in my own/have a child . How do all you parents find time to work out and do everything else?
Next year I will stick to my plan. I'm starting easy and working up. Starting with 2 days at the gym a week and walking with my daughter in the back carrier on a weekend. I'm not good at eating healthy. I need easy recipes for me and my daughter because I just cook 1 meal for both of us.
If any one can help or motivate me add me as a friend or message me

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you set a date for the gym. For next year I've entered a bike race Italy. So I have started the gym for strength training a couple of days. Because I've entered an event which has a date I know that I have to work towards it. If I didnt have an aim or reason to go to the gym, I definitely wouldn't. My situation is different from yours as I don't have kids. I guess you like walking and not sure where you stay in the world. What about picking somewhere you would like to go that has a stunning walk and setting a date then work towards it
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What will be different next year from this year, what makes going to the gym and walking possible then, but impossible now?

What is healthy eating? Figure that out first, and it will get easier. What is easy for you? If you want recipes, google them. But you don't need that many recipes, you need to know how to cook. That can be done simple, and it can be done elaborately. Healthfulness of a dish does not correspond with the degree of difficulty.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I make time.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't wait till next year or even next week-start today. I began my weight loss phase on a Wednesday, after lunch. Fast forward a few years and here I am, almost four years into maintaining my 50lb loss :) Don't keep looking to the future-look at today, starting with your next meal.

As for the gym thing, if it's not something you enjoy doing (because if it was, you'd make it work), then there's no reason to have it hanging over your head. Just start becoming more active in your day to day activities and focus on your calorie intake. The only thing you need to do, in order to lose weight, is to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have been working on my goals for 2017 for a couple of weeks now and think I have them 95% done:
    1. Hike a 14er -- a mountain range that is over 14,000 feet. I am in Colorado and we have a few to chose from. My goal is at least one.
    2. Take a ski lesson -- again, I am in Colorado and my entire family skis/snowboards and I don't, so I want to take a lesson and try to keep up with my 6 year old :smiley:
    3. Read more books and do word searches -- this is to keep my mind working. I am slipping into watching too much TV and being on the computer too much.
    4. Hike to Maroon Bells in Aspen -- it is a hike I have always wanted to do and haven't yet so it is on my goals list.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Now in response to finding time....I will be blunt, there is time in everyone's day to be active, it is how important you make it. Do workouts with your kids. Not sure how old yours are, but you can take walks together, go to park and play kickball or soccer, go swimming together, go on a hike, a bike ride, etc. I do yoga at home with my kids a lot and also have these dance workout videos on Amazon that my kids LOVE doing with me. We also have kitchen dance parties.
    If I am looking to workout on my own -- I use the gym at work and go down before I get the kids from school, I will wake up earlier to do a 20 minute something or after they go to bed use a few minutes to workout.
    Good luck!
  • FengShwayze
    FengShwayze Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I never learned how to incorporate a gym routine for me around my kids schedule. Now they are 18, 16, and 13, and I still don't like to go to the gym and leave them home alone. That's just not my comfort zone, so it has nothing to do with "making time." I just won't do it. Instead, I am using the free "7 minute" workout apps on my phone and those are great for busy moms. 7 minute butt, 7 minute belly, etc.

When the kids were little... kicking a ball, Mommy and Me swim class, playing at the beach or park all kept me reasonably trim. We swam at the community pool (indoor heated) even during winter. Then rushed home for cocoa and soup. It was fun. Here, parents are required to get in the "little kid pool," and all that water walking will keep you in shape. Plus, kids just love swimming and so many vacations are centered around beaches and hotel pools. It's just a great thing to do with kids if you have a pool near you, I would look into the free swim times. Same goes for ice skating. Pushing a toddler around on ice skates is an amazing workout, and eventually they do learn to skate independently and you can get a great workout while doing something together.

When mine started youth sports, I gained a lot of weight as a bench warmer, so I will forewarn you about that. It is important to walk while they're at practice and resist the urge to sit and chat with the other moms. When they played roller hockey, I started skating during their practices and there are adult women leagues, which are super fun. I would choose a few sports now that you enjoy and will age with your kids that you can enjoy together as a family for a lifetime, like swimming, tennis, golf or hockey.

You can set up a little electric putting green in the living room during winter. They are pretty inexpensive. My kids loved that when they were toddlers. It shoots the ball right back. They were in heaven. In better weather, putting greens are free. Buying a single putter instead of a set of clubs is also very inexpensive. If you have more space and money, maybe an exercise bike. I used to have one, and that's also winter/SAHM friendly.

As far as cooking goes, The Pampered Chef has cookbooks with easy recipes (and pictures) with titles like, "cooking for one" or "cooking for two." I loved those when my kids were toddlers. So easy and very little or no food waste. Good luck!
  • FengShwayze
    FengShwayze Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to add, I wasn't some jock tomboy growing up. I liked makeup, boys and parties. I definitely wasn't pegged as a hockey player. Maybe a bartender, lol, so I would say it's a good thing to think outside of the box. Just because you haven't tried something or it might surprise people, don't rule it out. Be open to trying new sports and activities.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    Enter my first powerlifting competition. Target 73kg bodyweight. Squat 180kg bench 105kg deadlift 200kg
  • ChiefKeesh87
    ChiefKeesh87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get in the best shape I've ever been in by my 30th birthday, which is in August 2017! I'm a single parent of 3, but I also work a 40 hr work week and I'm also a full time student in college and still find the time to work out! You got this girl, no more excuses!