So how did YOU lose weight?

Options
I'm curious to know some of your weight loss secrets that I can use to help myself ;)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My only "secret" was to find a method of adherence that suited me better than everyday calorie restriction.

The 5:2 fasting schedule gave me a moderate but sustainable weekly calorie deficit and fitted my exercise and social life schedules well. But more importantly it matched my personality - ridiculously determined short term but I get bored/frustrated by routine and daily restriction.

Food logging was very educational about serving sizes and the consequences of making different choices. I didn't actually stop eating any of my favourite foods but the frequency changed for some of the higher calorie options.

The MFP "eat back exercise calories" method suits me very well as I have a high but very variable exercise calorie burn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The secret to my weight loss has been to modify what is known to work in a way that is personalized to me. The basic principle was achieving a calorie deficit, which I tried to personalize further by testing various strategies to see what makes that deficit easier for me to achieve. Nothing grand or drastic, I just use intermittent fasting sometimes when needed, adjust my meals to fit if I'm planning a higher meal, adjust my activity, experiment with foods to see what satiates me best, arbitrary rules that work (like never buying more than one serving of the foods I tend to overeat)...etc. All food is logged and tracked on MFP of course, eating back any extra activity calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Here's the secret ... I ate fewer calories than I burned.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    In the very beginning, I found the greatest tool to be prelogging my day. I did that for about a year. Having a roadmap and sticking to it made dieting almost effortless. I found foods that satiated me and planned for them. Knowing when and what I was going to eat kept me on track.

The other has been the power of habit. Forming the habit of exercise has been one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. That hasn't been so much about weight loss, but the health benefits have been substantial.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    By eating less than I burn ..
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    There are two big secrets. CI<CO and taking a multivitamin to keep from getting sick. The CI part of CI<CO took time to figure out. The MFP app gives you the calories you need to eat to lose weight but you must figure out how many calories are in your food and drinks. I used a food scale and measuring cups for this. The CO part was harder so I bought a fitness tracker. Then as I lost weight I would increase my walking distance which meant I could eat more and still lose weight. 105 pounds and one year later I just finished my first 10k Santa Claus Classic run. Aside from a few sniffles, I haven't been sick all year. I'm really loving life!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Back when I was in my active weight loss phase I didn't know MFP existed. I was part of a different group and I did alternate day IF-in a nut shell it's just an extreme form of calorie zig-zagging. It worked well for me and I lost the extra weight with no issues. Now several years into maintenance I do a more laid back version of it and eat a little less calories during the week and have higher calorie weekends.
  • DaisukeYuki
    DaisukeYuki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alternate day fasting, eating 1200 one day and 500 the next :s

I wouldn't recommend it, but it gets the job done. It makes figuring out calories to maintain without gaining weight back a complete pain as you don't really learn much by starving yourself the best part of a year,
  • ScratchyAnderson
    ScratchyAnderson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a newcomer who's lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks logging and maintaining a calorie deficit through diet and exercise. What everyone says here is true: you need to burn more than you take it to lose weight, and at the end of the day, it's as simple as that.

For me, changing how I eat has been helpful in boosting satiety--feeling full longer, so I can meet my calorie goals. It's true that in a perfect world you could eat anything within your calorie limit and lose weight, but some foods will help you feel full longer and some will not. For me, added sugars and refined grains are kind of a waste of calories, which is sometimes absolutely worth it. But as a rule, I try to stick to whole grains, lots of fruits and veg, lean meats, nuts, eggs, and healthy fats in cooking. A handful of almonds or a Quest bar as a snack stays with me much longer than a pile of my kids' goldfish crackers, and that keeps me on target for the day. Willpower is essential, yes, but we can make it easier on ourselves, I find, with what we choose. This hasnt meant eliminating everything I love, it's just meant being mindful about when I choose to add it in to my day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I reduced the number of calories I was shoving into my mouth. Tracking for nutrition and satiety. Did a lot of reading on the forums here to learn what worked for others, and listened to those who had been around and successful.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I entered my stats in mfp and ate at a calorie deficit. I also started walking daily and doing some yoga, but I lost my weight by eating at a deficit.