Help please in a situation cannot seem to get out off

Options
13»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I just dont think im trying enough by sticking to it and i dont no what to eat when loosing weight carnt afford to buy all fancy healthy food

"Healthy" food doesn't have to be expensive, in fact it can be incredibly cheap if you're willing to spend a little time. I don't know about where you are, but here in the UK supermarkets will regularly sell fresh produce at reduced prices as they reach their sell by date. Find out the best time to find these bargains and you can get meat and veg at stupid prices, portion up the meat and freeze it, blanch and portion up the veg to freeze. My dinner tonight is a version of shepherd's/cottage pie with fresh veg.

Turkey Thigh mince : 49p (reduced from £1.89 so still pretty cheap)
    Carrots : 9p (cheaper supposedly imperfect, so funny shapes, but still taste great)
    Potatoes : 25p (approx, from big 28lb bag bought for £4 from farm shop, need washing before peeling but taste great)
    French/Green beans : 10p (reduced with yesterday's date but still good)
    Broccoli : 15p (same yesterday's date but still good)
    Various herbs ; 10p (from store cupboard, added to gradually over time to increase variety, but good staples are thyme, oregano, basil, sage and black pepper)
    Stock cube : 5p (bog standard supermarket version)
    Milk (for mashed potato) : 10p (probably less, but from 2lt for £1 bottle)

So that's what, less than £1.50 and that's enough to serve 2 adults and 2 children a healthy, balanced meal with some left over for OH to take for lunch tomorrow. Or if you're on your own invest in some small foil trays with lids and make in to 4-5 separate portions, one for the day and the others for the freezer.

Ye i have a parthner too who is really fussy wont eat nothing thats veg wont eat sauces wont eat fruit hes plain with everything he doesnt like it lol but im gunna start buying more veg and fruit now im on day 2 of loosing weight im doing this

My partner used to be like that, but he now realises that if he doesn't eat what I cook he'll either go hungry or have to make something himself. You need to explain to him that you'll be serving up veg because it's good for your daughter to have a full range of foods (and you can learn to if not love then like or tolerate veg, I used to barely eat any now they're the largest part of my meal).
  • ashley_mulvey
    ashley_mulvey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just dont think im trying enough by sticking to it and i dont no what to eat when loosing weight carnt afford to buy all fancy healthy food

"Healthy" food doesn't have to be expensive, in fact it can be incredibly cheap if you're willing to spend a little time. I don't know about where you are, but here in the UK supermarkets will regularly sell fresh produce at reduced prices as they reach their sell by date. Find out the best time to find these bargains and you can get meat and veg at stupid prices, portion up the meat and freeze it, blanch and portion up the veg to freeze. My dinner tonight is a version of shepherd's/cottage pie with fresh veg.

Carrots : 9p (cheaper supposedly imperfect, so funny shapes, but still taste great)
    Potatoes : 25p (approx, from big 28lb bag bought for £4 from farm shop, need washing before peeling but taste great)
    Various herbs ; 10p (from store cupboard, added to gradually over time to increase variety, but good staples are thyme, oregano, basil, sage and black pepper)

So that's what, less than £1.50 and that's enough to serve 2 adults and 2 children a healthy, balanced meal with some left over for OH to take for lunch tomorrow. Or if you're on your own invest in some small foil trays with lids and make in to 4-5 separate portions, one for the day and the others for the freezer.

Ye i have a parthner too who is really fussy wont eat nothing thats veg wont eat sauces wont eat fruit hes plain with everything he doesnt like it lol but im gunna start buying more veg and fruit now im on day 2 of loosing weight im doing this

My partner used to be like that, but he now realises that if he doesn't eat what I cook he'll either go hungry or have to make something himself. You need to explain to him that you'll be serving up veg because it's good for your daughter to have a full range of foods (and you can learn to if not love then like or tolerate veg, I used to barely eat any now they're the largest part of my meal).

Trust me theres no getting him to eat things likr that i do buy veg anyway and cook it for my daughter but he just wont eat anything like that himself an hasnt got years and yearrs lol but i eat veg and daughter to we love it and will have loads on our roasts
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options

Trust me theres no getting him to eat things likr that i do buy veg anyway and cook it for my daughter but he just wont eat anything like that himself an hasnt for years and yearrs lol but i eat veg and daughter to we love it and will have loads on our roasts

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Because 2 years ago i was 8 stone 9 and had a fat belly and thighs so how much do you acctually even need to loose to get skinny lol surly i cannot go down to 7 stone its crazy but when i was 8 stone i still was fat

Sometimes the body shape silhouette proportions stay the same whether up or down. My stomach did get smaller while recomping and doing resistance exercises, however and flattened belly.

Calisthenics and boot camp type floor exercises work for me, also. Some people relax their stomachs too much. You can't change how your body distributes fat but you can change your muscle tone and look smaller at the same weight.

Try Leslie Sansone's indoor "Walk away the pounds" videos. They are great in inclement weather. You can sometimes see a few of them free on Youtube.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Sometimes what you eat does matter. Some people have a difficult time with carbs triggering insatiable hunger. In other words you may feel as though you are "stuffed yet starving". Or some foods are trigger foods. Once you have that particular thing it drives you to eat more and more and more. Pasta, pizza, potato or potato chips are a few of the common ones. If there is nothing in your diet to address perhaps seeking a professional opinion would help, also be sure to log all of your food, weigh all of your food to be sure you aren't eating more than you think you are.

^This is very true, Ashley. While there is a portion of the population who can eat "everything in moderation" there are some like me and others who cannot. Each person is different.

I have discovered, from personal experience, that upping fats and lowering carbs keep away insulin spikes and helped keep away the carb cravings. There are people on the threads who will say you can eat sweets just because they can get away with it. But it might not be the case for you. You do you. Figure out what you need. If sweets or salty foods trigger you to over feed yourself, then don't feel guilty cutting them out. There are plenty of people who do this if the temptation is to overeat or binge on certain trigger foods.

I would recommend looking up your TDEE online. You can google the calculator. Put in your stats. Try to eat at TDEE for a couple weeks. If the TDEE calculation is correct then you know that is your maintenance amount. If you lose then you might be more active than you figured and if you gain then likely have a lower TDEE or are gaining water due to time of month, excess salty foods, or exercise. Tweak your daily maintenance TDEE calories until you stall and neither gain nor lose. Once you have YOUR TDEE try not to go over that number on average when you want to maintain and not gain.

Next you can work on losing. Try to be realistic and don't deprive yourself with very low calories. Try a 1 pound a week loss to start (it sounds like you are doing that). That is a daily deficit of 500 calories (TDEE minus 500). When you get closer to goal then drop it down to 0.5 pound a week deficit which is a daily deficit of 250 calories.

I work from a weekly average as I like to vary my daily calories to eat less during the week and slightly more on the weekends . Don't forget to recalculate TDEE for every 5 pounds or so you lose. A lighter person doesn't burn as many calories as someone at a higher weight. People who have 50 or 100 pounds to lose are going to lose faster at first and then slow down as time goes on and weight drops lower.

Since you are petite your TDEE will not be as high as a taller or more active person. If your plan is to eat a little extra one day, then eat a little lighter right before and after so you don't go over. This will teach you portions of eyeballing when you don't have a food scale with you-- for instance eating out with friends or at a family outing, etc.

The other thing you can do is up activity to compensate. The only problem with that is people tend to overcompensate by eating more. If you do work out, some people only eat back 1/2 of the exercise calories. Diet is the primary way to lose. Working out helps keep and build muscle mass which helps increase RMR.

If all you have is toddler foods to, then choose healthy foods for your toddler and eat that along with your salads and veggies. You don't have to eat expensive foods to lose weight. Just figure out your TDEE, subtract the calories you want as a deficit, and purchase an inexpensive kitchen scale.

Next weigh out every bite of food you eat. Don't grab a nugget or chip without weighing first. Weigh any leftovers your toddler leaves behind if you eat leftovers. Log everything. You will be surprised at all of the hidden calories. Also weigh food and look up on MFP even boxed items like mac and cheese, etc. The manufacturers can be off 20% for example. That can really do in your deficit quickly as yours will be smallish.

Try to eat what you normally like so your diet is sustainable for the long haul. You don't have to buy special "diet" foods. Eat less of what you normally do and cut out trigger foods. Best wishes!

Thanks for the great advice and alot of it lol yes i will do me because its clearly not working for me by just eating what i want but within my calorie goal so what i think is to eat more healthier and maybe the weight will start to come off and also i dont have scales to weigh my food i just scan the food i eat thanks

THIS is going to be your biggest hurdle. You NEED to know how much you are eating no matter if it is a candy bar, potato chips, a veggie mix or bread and butter. Maybe you can find a low cost food scale, or if you celebrate Christmas ask for one for Christmas. This is the most important thing you will do in terms of keeping your calories in check. Because if you don't weigh or measure the portions in some way then you really have no clue how much you ate. Some foods are deceptive. Some people are pretty good at eyeballing it but most aren't. You can easily overestimate. Try to get a scale if it is at all possible.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old that has dippers nuggets and all kinds like that so thats all i buy i carnt afford her food and healthy food at the same time so just halft to eat what i can

Well with what your buying you can eat, just stay within your calories. Drink lots of water. Actually with the exception of diapers you can eat"smart" as my grandmother use to say. She had 4 kids to raise alone after her husband died, was not book educated and made the most of what she had. For instance buy a whole chicken, instead of nuggets. Roast it, and make your own nuggets of just pieces of chicken for your child, and for you too. When most of the chicken is gone, put it in a pot cover with water and season to taste, make a pot of soup. You can add a container of broth if you wish and any left over veggies, carrots, celery, potatoes, or even a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Soup will go a long way, and is not high in calories. Processed foods like nuggets actually end up costing a lot more. Peanut butter, jelly bread...is good too. mac n cheese, well higher calories goes a long way too. And probably soon your 2 year old will be ready for potty training, at least during the day, and that will help too. These a just little changes that may help both of you. I wish you luck I know it can be difficult.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are within normal range weight but you are unhappy with some fat spots. You might be happier building muscle rather than trying to get thinner.

I think you can build an evening snack of crisps in to your routine and still get the body you want. Maybe stick to a small bag.

If veggies are unpopular or unfamiliar in your house I suggest you get frozen. It's cheaper and doesn't spoil. That way you can introduce them slowly until it becomes a new family habit.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and I second the frozen veggies. The steamables are great, they even have pasta now with a little veggie added, (they have a frozen theme)they are quite reasonable and just throw in microwave and done. Your 2 year old will learn to eat healthier too. I know you can do this! These frozen veggies are a staple now in my meals. The even have rice now, or you can use the little rice cups that you put in microwave. Mix in some chicken, veggies and you have a healthier meal for you and your child.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are a terrific idea as mentioned. When I first started buying fresh veggies some of them would go bad in fridge and waste money. But with frozen you can buy the bags and pull out a serving size and clip the bag closed again. They only take 10 minutes to cook in a little water on the stove top. Or you can microwave like the other poster said. It is great to buy and economical if you are the only one who likes them. They are almost as nutritious as fresh as they have been frozen at peak.
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options
    I do buy frozen veg i never buy fresh just frozen and somtimes i go over like 29 calories on my diary is that ok or do you halft to be spot on i could workout a little to burn some calories lol
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do buy frozen veg i never buy fresh just frozen and somtimes i go over like 29 calories on my diary is that ok or do you halft to be spot on i could workout a little to burn some calories lol

You can still lose weight even if you're not spot on your calories every single day. But you will be over by more than you realize, because you don't weigh your food (just scanning packages is usually not accurate). There will come a point in your weight loss journey when your weight will stall - at that point, you will know that you need a food scale.

For now, focus on just sticking to your calorie amount every day for 2 months. Within that 2 months, do not give up or try to convince yourself that it won't work. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit over a period of time. If you stick to your calorie deficit, you will lose weight (even if you're eating chicken nuggets, crisps, etc.). You can do this!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    but when i was 8 stone i still was fat

No, you were not fat when you were 8 stone (112 pounds) at 5'2. It's physically impossible. You may have had some slightly squishy bits, and you may have been able to firm up by getting fitter. But that's a BMI of 20.5. *Nobody* is fat with a BMI of 20.5.
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options

No, you were not fat when you were 8 stone (112 pounds) at 5'2. It's physically impossible. You may have had some slightly squishy bits, and you may have been able to firm up by getting fitter. But that's a BMI of 20.5. *Nobody* is fat with a BMI of 20.5.

Well i wasnt that fat but my belly had rolls like big ones i could grab the fat with my hands on my belly my thighs were big it was no were near as fat as i am now but was still fat at 8 stone 9 simple as
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options

Well i wasnt that fat but my belly had rolls like big ones i could grab the fat with my hands on my belly my thighs were big it was no were near as fat as i am now but was still fat at 8 stone 9 simple as

Ive never been a skinny person put it that way was chubby as a baby was chubby as a kid and even fatter now at 11 stone 9 so never been skinny never had a flat belly i know what fat is i can see my own body and whats on it
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I have a 2 year old that has dippers nuggets and all kinds like that so thats all i buy i carnt afford her food and healthy food at the same time so just halft to eat what i can

Well with what your buying you can eat, just stay within your calories. Drink lots of water. Actually with the exception of diapers you can eat"smart" as my grandmother use to say. She had 4 kids to raise alone after her husband died, was not book educated and made the most of what she had. For instance buy a whole chicken, instead of nuggets. Roast it, and make your own nuggets of just pieces of chicken for your child, and for you too. When most of the chicken is gone, put it in a pot cover with water and season to taste, make a pot of soup. You can add a container of broth if you wish and any left over veggies, carrots, celery, potatoes, or even a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Soup will go a long way, and is not high in calories. Processed foods like nuggets actually end up costing a lot more. Peanut butter, jelly bread...is good too. mac n cheese, well higher calories goes a long way too. And probably soon your 2 year old will be ready for potty training, at least during the day, and that will help too. These a just little changes that may help both of you. I wish you luck I know it can be difficult.

Thanks alot
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »

You can still lose weight even if you're not spot on your calories every single day. But you will be over by more than you realize, because you don't weigh your food (just scanning packages is usually not accurate). There will come a point in your weight loss journey when your weight will stall - at that point, you will know that you need a food scale.

For now, focus on just sticking to your calorie amount every day for 2 months. Within that 2 months, do not give up or try to convince yourself that it won't work. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit over a period of time. If you stick to your calorie deficit, you will lose weight (even if you're eating chicken nuggets, crisps, etc.). You can do this!

Thanks alot great help
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to look into increasing your exercise level and trying to build up some muscle then. Or at least start some form of strength training (even if just bodyweight squats, lunges, push ups, etc. to start) to make sure that your weight loss will be fat and not muscle too. Generally, if somebody looks "chubby" at a low BMI, they need more muscle (or they're suffering from body dysmorphia and see themselves as fat when they actually aren't).

Note that "more muscle" does not equal "bulky". The vast majority of women can't get bulky without help from steroids or similar.
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to look into increasing your exercise level and trying to build up some muscle then. Or at least start some form of strength training (even if just bodyweight squats, lunges, push ups, etc. to start) to make sure that your weight loss will be fat and not muscle too. Generally, if somebody looks "chubby" at a low BMI, they need more muscle (or they're suffering from body dysmorphia and see themselves as fat when they actually aren't).

Note that "more muscle" does not equal "bulky". The vast majority of women can't get bulky without help from steroids or similar.

I know i think i just needed to exsersize abit more then and trust me my whole family could see the fat so i wasnt thinking or imgaining anything lol my nick name was fat ash
  • ashley_mulvey
    Options
    Thanks for the comments