Food ideas for pre- and post exercise and how soon to eat prior to and after exercise?

Options
I like to exercise first thing in the morning. I'd like suggestions for:

1. What to eat upon crawling out of bed and prior to starting exercise: cardio one day; strength on another another day?
2. Same question, except upon finishing either cardio or strength exercises?
3. How soon after eating should exercising begin?
4. How soon after finishing exercising should you eat?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just got done with a ride...now I'm having lunch. Don't overthink it...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I don't eat first if working out first thing. I don't eat until after a shower and coffee, so maybe an hour after. Not sure it really matters...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are way overthinking this!
    Just fit your exercise into your normal eating routine.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on how hard a run I am doing and when. I usually run in the late morning or afternoon, so my circumstances are different. On the rare occasions I run in the morning, I'll usually just have a cup of coffee and go, then eat when I return. Unless it's a race, then I'll eat breakfast a couple of hours before.

For my usual runs, if somewhat hungry or low on energy, I'll eat a banana or a glass of OJ before my run. If I eat a meal, I'll wait an hour or so afterwards if I'm doing an easy run. If I'm doing a long or hard run, I'll wait one and a half to two hours after eating before I exercise. After a regular easy run, I don't usually eat anything until my next meal. If it was a longer run, I may drink some juice or Gatorade or fruit afterwards if it's not close to mealtime.

Try doing your exercise with and without food before. See what works for you.
  • D_Moen
    D_Moen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in figuring this out for myself as well.

I started a Crossfit on-ramp program at the beginning of November. The classes I have been going to at ate 7:30pm. I make sure I get home from work promptly and eat a light meal before going to the "box" and I have been doing OK. I have a hard time getting to sleep after working out though, and the next day I am dragging my butt all day. I tried going to the 6:30am class a couple times, but felt like I ran out of energy much earlier and wasn't able to give my best effort. I did have a pre-workout drink with 200mg of caffeine, but no food.

Having just lost 60 pounds on a keto diet, I'm gun shy about loading up on carbs in the morning to get through a workout too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It really is personal preference.

Experiment and figure out what you like best.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I swim during my lunch hour at about 11:30. I eat a normal breakfast, but then avoid eating anything else until after I swim. In particularly, I ccan't eat ANYTHING for about an hour before I swim, or I will be urping it up during my entire workout. Even a couple of mints or a chocolate kiss!

I pack my lunch--big salad with some bit of protein in it-- and have that right after I get out of the pool.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup coffee before AM workout. Yogurt/sliced almonds with pomegranates about 1 hr after.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    After exercise the body is in what is called the recovery state and is need of repair. Ideally it needs a protein in the first 20 minutes like a recovery drink , or boiled egg etc then about 1 hour later have a proper meal. After exercise the body processes food differently for cell repair. Then about 1 hour later it go backs to storing food in its bank for energy. Before exercise as long as it's digested by the gut roughly 1 hour. Also the amount of protein to eat relates to your body weight ,which I think is around 1g per kg approx but just check. There is no harm in trying different things and see who it goes