Lifting in a appartment?

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Well I been thinking on putting a home gym in my 2nd floor apartment with a squat rack and such. But after reading a lot on the subject and how people have issues, with sound I am rethinking that maybe I shouldn't. I not a big fan of the gym due to others and self-esteem. Any ideas on this subject?

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm on the second floor and don't have a rack because a) I don't have enough space, and 2) my floors aren't level enough where I would trust it. If you don't have either of those issues..,whats stopping you?

I wouldn't drop my barbell for fear of disturbing my neighbors below me, but if I had the room so I could do everything else I would be all over it in a heartbeat. I just wouldn't do my lifting early or late in the evening because.,,I try to be considerate that way. My opinion as a second door dweller is,,,if you can do it then do it!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure what program you plan to do, but if something like StrongLifts, you shouldn't have any issues. The only time the bar hits the ground is on deadlifts and rows. Get a few yoga mats to stack and use as padding. I put thick socks/slices of foam noodles on my stands to dampen the noise when bench pressing and squats.
  • deup
    Options
    Yeah I going to be doing the 5 X 5 strong lifts and possibly 5x5 strong lifts ice cream. Or something like that. I am also worried about the weight on the area.
  • deup
    Options
    Still looking for thoughts on the subject. As for what I can do to reduce noise, supports, if you have a home gym in a appartment on the second floor and up and what issues u have had.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My professional gym was taken over by a new company and has just been refurbished with all new equipment and a doubling up of free weights area

It was originally built over a swimming pool

Ask me how I know they didn't fill in the pool or reinforce the floor in order to extend the free weights area and put in a lifting platform with a multipurpose rack. A place where on is requested to do deadlifts

Gwan ask me how I know
    :bigsmile:

(And then note the relevance to having a home gym on the second floor without knowing if the structure of your flooring, and downstairs neighbours ceiling can take it)
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    deup wrote: »
    Still looking for thoughts on the subject. As for what I can do to reduce noise, supports, if you have a home gym in a appartment on the second floor and up and what issues u have had.

I don't think you can deadlift quietly.
  • deup
    Options
    K how do you know they didn't fill it in?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    deup wrote: »
    K how do you know they didn't fill it in?

The matting of the lifting platform dips into the hole that has appeared in the floorboards they have constructed to cover over the swimming pool ...if you apply weight to it it sinks

It is currently barricaded off

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Aww I thought maybe you had unexpectedly taken a swimming lesson one day.
    My imagination was running wild with all the possiblities.

Cheers, h.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No don't do this. Your neighbors will not like it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm in for no. There are things you can do to exercise in an appt, but squatting and dead-lifting are best left for basements or gyms.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Another no here...

Just go to the gym...trust me, everyone is doing their thing...the only time they'll notice you is if you're doing something weird.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I worked in an office in a normal (non-gym) building and a personal trainer started renting the unit above our office to train his private clients there. Every time someone so much as set down a dumbbell, it was a dull boom through the office. Forget heavy deadlifts--our walls and windows would literally shake, even when he swore the clients were not dropping the bar but lovingly setting it down.

Best case scenario, your neighbors hate you. Worst case, you break the building and your landlord hates/sues you.
  • BarryBrownFitness
    BarryBrownFitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would suggest maybe purchasing some kettle bells. You could do Goblet Squats, Kettle Bell Swings, Kettle Bell Deallifts there's so many exercise you can do at home with the kettle bell. What I would recommended on the subject on been not a big fan on going the gym would be hire a personal trainer that works in the gym get them to show you around give you a basic program do it for a few weeks till you get comfortable then go and attack what ever goals you have in the gym. I was the same never went near the free weights but over a few weeks I felt better been there on a daily basis, and plus probably 75% maybe more of the people in gyms don't really no what there doing and can't do the exercises properly.