Has anyone had success on ketogenic diet?

Options
Joy5434
Joy5434 Posts: 13 Member
edited December 2016 in Getting Started
I was thinking about starting this diet plan this week but had some questions. It doesn't seem like a fad diet since you are eating the needed calorie per day. But has anyone had success? Do you really lose weight faster? Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose some extra water weight initially, but true weight (fat) loss happens because of the calorie deficit, like every other weight loss method. Low carb/keto can be good for those who experience reduced appetite on low carb, but the fear of hunger while dieting (sensible dieting, that is) is really blown out of proportion: You are not going to eat so little that you'll get more hungry - you are "eating" from your fat stores too. And focusing on getting in better nutrition - something you have to anyway when you lose weight, because you need to budget your calories better to be able to sustain the calorie deficit - improves satiety for most people; many people even report feeling "too full" when switching to a more nutritionally dense diet.
  • hadirk
    hadirk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i started 8 days ago. Lost 8lbs mostly water weight, i also count my calories to create the necessary deficit for actual fat loss.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    A community of experienced people with lots of good research over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's not a race.

People who need to lose over 100 lb lose fastest with a -1000 calorie/day deficit by keeping their sodium intake between 1500 and 2300 and being male. I haven't made any effort to determine the birth gender of the OP. If you're female and of child-bearing age, you get to enjoy the monthly visitor which brings a cadre of water weight uninvited. Nor have I made any effort to determine the height and weight of the OP. If you're young and have less than 10 lb to lose, there's no really fast way other than to get into a calorie deficit and stay in it for a many weeks.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Yes you lose a lot of initial weight (mostly water). It is extremely easy to stay at a deficit because after a few days you are simply not hungry. No more trying to fit this extra snack into your day because you're just not hungry. Appetite control is a big plus. On the other hand, you have to look at the long term. Can you go without fruits, pasta, breads, cakes, pies, etc for life? Sure there are keto substitutes but it's not the same. If you can't see yourself doing this in the long run then just go with eating what you want in moderation. Keto is not a quick fix. I lost majority of my weight by simply counting calories. Im doing keto now and love it. The appetite suppression alone is a win for me. Good luck.