What Have You Done In 2016 For Your Fitness, And What Do You Plan To Do In 2017?

Options
OldAssDude
OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started adding jog intervals into my power walks. Started with 30 second jog/2 minute walk intervals for 3 miles. My goal was to be able to run 5k non-stop.

Last Sunday I ran 5 miles non-stop just to see if I could do it. I normally run 3 miles non-stop now during a 7.5 mile jog/power walk.

I would like to be able to jog 10 miles non-stop by the end of 2017.

I have also increased my fitness level from "extremely poor" to "fair", and for 2017 would like to increase it to "good".

Oh, and I went from "obese" to 'slightly overweight", and for 2017 would like to be in the middle of my healthy weight.

Oh, I forgot that I quit smoking using electronic cigarettes and have not smoked for over 6 months. Maybe in 2017 quit the electronic cigarette, but no real concern there.

What's your story?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    What have I done?

This: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10364677/2016-goals-quarter-of-the-year-done#latest

And also ...

After the last event I talk about there, my husband and I attempted a 600 km randonnee. Unfortunately, between the 400 km event (mentioned in the link) and that 600 km event, I had developed a mystery illness which took me a month to recover from, and I wasn't able to train according to my plan. Just one week before the 600 km event, I was battling a raging fever as the last bit of the mystery illness departed. So ... we did complete 390 km of the 600 km, but I just didn't have it in me to do the whole 600.

Next year, I'd like to do the full set of events ... a Super Randonneur. The 200K, 300K, 400K, and a successful 600K.

So ...

2015 was the year of the weight loss.
    2016 was the year of building up again more or less to where I was a few years ago with the long distance cycling.
    2017 ... well, hopefully, even more. And no mystery illnesses.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    2016 was all about Speed!

I've spent the last couple of years previous to 2016 chasing times over ironman and marathon distances. This year I was all about 5k and 10k times at the cost of all the endurance I had built up if necessary.

I've gone from around 23.30 for 5k and 48mins for 10k down to 20.07 for 5k and 43.14 for 10k.

I'm hoping I still have time to chase the sub 20 5k I was after but i've only really in the last 6 weeks or so managed to get me head into gear and consistently drop more weight.

2017 for me will see me going back to long course triathlon but focussing on half ironman distance. Aim is to see how low into the 5hour's I can go.

I'll also be trying to find some local TimeTrials to do along with the usual random running events here and there as my fancy takes me.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    2016 was the year I decided to take my running seriously again. Between 2008 and 2011 I did a lot of running; I wasn't particularly fast but I enjoyed it and ran plenty of 5k and 10k races and even managed a handful of half-marathons. Then I slipped on some black ice (not while out running) and badly damaged my knee. I took a year off and it took a toll on my race times and fitness. And I could only manage short distances. A 10k hurt, and a half was out of the question.

By the middle of 2015 I had put on 25lbs because I was eating as if I was still running half marathons. Not good. So I signed up for a couple of 5ks, dusted off my MFP login password, and started logging all my food and exercise. The 5ks came round and while the times weren't as good as they had been in the past, at least I was running again.

This year I've participated in four 5ks (and beat my PB set in 2009), and a couple of 10ks. I'm running faster than I was back in 2009/2010) and I've rediscovered just how much I love running.

In 2017 my goals are to get a bit faster, maybe get a top three place in my age-group (got as high as fourth this year). And the big one is to once again run a half marathon.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    In 2015, I spent the bulk of my time and energy working on qualifying for the Boston marathon. In October of 2015, I hit my goal at the Columbus marathon. However, due to the way the Boston qualifying window is structured, that put me in for the 2017 race.

So for 2016, my goal was to maintain my running fitness and avoid getting injured and also to work on achieving a new half-marathon PR. In October I ran half-marathon PRs on back to back weekends, and now I am beginning the training cycle for the Boston marathon in the spring.

My goal for 2017 is to run Boston, not to PR, but to have a comfortable and enjoyable race. Then maybe I will look into getting into triathlons. I currently do some biking, but I have not really done much swimming since I was a teen. Like most people, that's what scares me. My goal is to join the local tri club and dive right in (pun intended).
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    All I did was to start counting my calories.

It's the first step to landing in the middle of the Healthy BMI range next year (hopefully before next Xmas ;))
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In 2016, I reached maintenance range, completed C25K, participated in 8 events (3 10Ks, 1 5k, 1 Space Needle Climb, 1 Lazy Tri, 1 virtual 5k, 1 virtual 10K), recruited others to join me, RAN all of my 5k, started swimming again, (up to 1/2 mile per session), enhanced my home workout area (after my trainer's studio closed), and had gains in strength and endurance that I can't really quantify, have been told I have great deltoids & traps, a skinny waist, and a small butt!
    My goals for 2017 aren't completely crystallized yet, but definitely include successful maintenance range, solidifying my home workout routine, and go hiking in the Swiss Alps!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started again!

In January I started taking Aerial classes after a year or so break from working out. Started with hammock and added in silks. Awesome strength building and my desire to improve my Aerial skills has inspired me to get back in shape. Climbing fabric with be easier if I weigh less and am in better shape! I'm adding cardio back in as well as more strength training
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    lost 37kgs, started c25k ,finished it, then continued on to c210k, finished it, although didn't make it to the actual 10k,i only managed to run for an hour non stop . in 2017 i will reach the 10k and will work on improving my speed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nothing and likely more nothing.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I started this "journey" at the end of April and have lost 40 pounds and would like to switch to maintenance after another 4 pounds or so.

I completed c25k this summer and ran my first 5K, finishing 4th for my category, in September. I also joined a gym and have used it consistently at least 4-5 x's a week since June, including weights/strength training.

My goals for 2017 include completing the 5kto10k program. I don't love running in the cold or on a treadmill, so hope to start this in the spring. In the meantime, doing other things for a bit of cardio.
    I also want to start with a trainer for a bit again to become more comfortable on my own with weight training, etc.
    Overall - to lower body fat percentage and continue working on building muscle.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm on track to have run 1000 miles this year despite a couple big life changes, so that's probably my significant one. I ran a few races as well so I think my goal for 2017 is a sub-1:40 half-marathon and another 1000 miles.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This year I really stepped up my running and managed to complete 5 ultras and 2 marathons. Looking to better that next year and possibly complete my first 100 miler.

But the main thing will be strength work. I've lost a lot of weight over the last few years and keep on putting off strength work for my running.

So I'm going for a solid strength and cardio work out next year. Not going to neglect either!
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started running again after a bad injury that kept me down for a little over a year! I did my first triathlon since completetimg Ironman in 2013, it was bad! Lol!

My DH and I are trying to get pregnant and other than that keep working out and do a race here or there and just concentrate in being healthy and ready for pregnancy!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This year, after faffing about with running, I decided to run every day for a month in August. That did it. Now I have the bug and my running has greatly improved since. I've been running more consistently and with purpose - planned short fast runs, and longer slow runs.

I have a home gym now and recently had to pull back from weights due to some joint problems I'm experiencing. I don't know that I'll ever be able to handle true heavy lifting, but I plan to keep strength training in some form or another. Right now I'm doing body weight work with some assistance from resistance bands and will go back to the weights as soon as my joints feel a bit better.
  • Korbie82
    Korbie82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    2016 was about evaluating the state of my mind and body. I finally realized that the body I imagined I had was the body of 4 years ago (hot mama). I started working out and eating better (and tracking ). The past two months I've added lifting in and love it so 2017 I'll continue lifting and eating in a deficit till I get to the size I see in my head. If that happens before the end of the 2017 then I'll focus on gains!
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow, very impressed with some of the great achievements posted here!

I started late this year. I'd been focussing on other things and neglecting myself and I needed to do something about it that would actually stick this time! So in October I started MFP again and also started tracking vitamins and exercise in my bullet journal. I've started using weights 6 days a week and doing daily yoga, and I've also started running again after a long break from it- this time with my dog! Now that I've got a 4 legged running buddy I've been doing a lot more trail running, which is awesome fun.

Next year I would like to enter a few races with my dog, get to Parkrun regularly, and maybe add some HIIT to my exercise routine.

Good luck for your 2017 goals, everyone :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I recommited to Max30 as a part of my regular routine this year and started testing out weight training. In 2017 I will alternate between Max30 and hitting the gym for more weights with more consistency.

I plan on hitting my original recomp goals by my anniversary in May.