never sore

Options
I started working out a little over a month ago. Normally I am able to make it to the gym 4x a week. I was pretty inactive before. My question is, why am I never sore ? While at the gym, I can feel my muscles fatigued and burn... but I'm never sore ? I figured since I am in my 30's and over weight and since it's been years since I've done any exercising, that this would be tough and I'd be sore ? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I'm not suggesting that it's no pain no gain.. but I really expected to feel it.

Anyway.. anyone have any insight or experience ?

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing at the gym?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's different from person to person. Maybe it means you're pacing yourself correctly o:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what are you doing exactly?

soreness generally results when you're working muscles that haven't been worked or working them differently...I workout regularly and I'm only sore when I do something different that I'm not used to. soreness isn't an indicator of anything in regards to how effective your workout is.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was really sore when I first started but now I'm not. my muscles feel tired and we'll used after I go for a long hike but no longer sore.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I've been lifting heavier and heavier for two months straight and was not sore again after the first week. I also started running recently. Even though I'm increasing distance every week I was only sore the first.
  • mrsmorgantx
    mrsmorgantx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do 2 miles on the treadmill. Not sure if it matters but I set it on a 5 incline and my speed is 3.7
    then I do 2 miles on an AMT machine
    I try to do the machines for upper body 2x a week and lower body 2x a week.
    Like I said, Im definitely a beginner.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you always do the same workout, then you probably won't be sore. You can slowly try to increase your speed or distance on the treadmill and increase weight or reps/sets when strength training.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If get a proper programme with adequate resistance and progression

Sore is not something to aim for but I absolutely would have expected some DOMs on any change up
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I don't get sore when I do pole fitness.. But if I do leg day.. I'm pretty much just thankful that there isn't a zombie apocalypse the 2 days post leg day.. That's how sore I get. I think it's because I'm used to using my upper body but lower body has been neglected...

So maybe your muscles are just use to being used like that? That's all I can come up with
  • mrsmorgantx
    Options
    Thank y'all so much. I think I will try changing it up this week.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over 2 years, basically doing the same thing sometimes I try a new exercise but im ALWAYS sore. It can last up to 2 days, so much so when my little Papillons walk on my thighs I cringe, lol. Never hurt myself though! It doesn't last more than 2 days.
  • starfrogger
    starfrogger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To get sore you either need to work out new muscles or increase intensity in your current workout. Lift heavier, increase the speed, more reps. Literally keep going until you you have to sit down and can not get up.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much. I think I will try changing it up this week.
    If you are interested in being sore then changing it up will accomplish that. If you have a fitness goal in mind like gaining strength or running faster or longer then you need to find a program and stick with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    To get sore you either need to work out new muscles or increase intensity in your current workout. Lift heavier, increase the speed, more reps. Literally keep going until you you have to sit down and can not get up.

I couldn't think of much worse advice than that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Exactly.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I thought you were supposed to stop BEFORE you get to this point? Surely that just increases the risk of injury?
  • mrsmorgantx
    Options
    Well that escalated quickly...

For starters, I'm not interested in being sore. In my mind, I thought going from years of basically a sedentary lifestyle to working out everyday, I would feel it.
    Apparently, I'm wrong and I'm okay with that. I was only asking a question.

I only plan to change things up a bit because I've been doing the same routine for over a month. A change might be good.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I thought you were supposed to stop BEFORE you get to this point? Surely that just increases the risk of injury?

It increases the risk of injury, increases the stress upon your CNS (which impairs recovery) and is not only totally unnecessary but also a very bad idea.