Gaining Weight After So Much Work...Desperate!

Options
Honestly, I'm starting to despair big time. WHAT IS HAPPENING?
I just want to know if anyone else has had this happen to them:
I started exercising consistently three weeks ago. I was doing P90X every single day, drinking lots of water, avoiding breads, eating veggies and lean meats and drinking spinach+orange+banana smoothies. I avoided sugar and processed foods.
I didn't weigh in for those weeks because I didn't want to derail my regimen (and I wanted to surprise myself because it motivates me). At the end of the week, I got on the scale to see my progress and lo and behold... I had GAINED five pounds! What in the world! And there's no way it can just be muscle weight because then I measured my waist first thing in the morning before eating anything and it's the same exact size as it ever was when I started!
This is so disheartening I want to cry.
I worked so hard.
I'm going to see a doctor about this tomorrow. My thyroid has to be whacked out or something.
Again, I just want to know if ANYONE else has experienced something like this. I feel so terrible!

Replies

• TigerSpot
    TigerSpot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry. To clarify, I didn't eat more than 2,300 calories per day. I'm 5'10 and (currently) 193 pounds with a thicker build. I exercise for 30-40 minutes a day. I never do the whole hour of P90X because I don't have the endurance yet.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    log all food & drinks in mfp. every single bite. even the "cheat meals".
    keep an eye logging sodium ( water retention)

log all exercise in mfp. and remember, calories burned are usually overtated on mfp, fitbite, etc.

analyze the above data in mfp.
    adjust food accordingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, your body will function better if you get enough :
    Fiber
    Supplements
    Water
    Sleep

Stress-reduced activities, such as meditation
  • Tarzy83
    Tarzy83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am thinking u may need to drop your calorie intake. Maybe to around 1500.
  • sunnysunny88
    sunnysunny88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I was like you, I was eating clean every day and running 5-6 times a week, longer and longer distance every time, the longest I've ever ran was 14 km. I didn't weigh myself the 6 months or so I was doing that, when I finally did, I was shocked that not only did I not lose any weight I actually gained about 5 kg (10lbs) I cried because it seemed that all my efforts have gone to waste. I joined MFP and started counting calories, you'd be surprised how much calories there actually are, even in healthy food! To lose weight you need a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter where they're from. It is a good idea to go to your doctor and see if you have any hormonal issue, then it might be wise to figure out how much calories your body needs per day to function based on your activity level then make sure you eat less than that but not too much. Take heart. You've already begun the process on a good foot, renewing your mind about fitness and health, your health should've already been improved by the exercise you do and food you eat even if you haven't lost any weight yet. You may only need some small adjustments. Good luck!
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Drop no more than 300 - 500 calories, make sure your macros are dialed in, don't go at a crazy extreme deficit or you will for sure just gain more weight in the long run ... try this for a few weeks.. also make sure you're drinking AT LEAST a gallon of water a day...

Continue to work out the way you are and just go to a slight calorie deficit, again no more than 300 - 500 calories less than what you've been eating, that should put you between 1800 and 2000 daily.. also cut sugars out of your diet as much as possible.. p90x is pretty intense you have to make sure your macros are in check and you're eating enough for the program thats why i wouldn't drop much lower than where you are already. Try those few little tweaks for a few weeks, you should start dropping weight again, also remember bodyweight fluctuates day to day... I'm not sure how you weigh in but if its everyday stop it!! Weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and make sure you're getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night

Hope this helps!!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OP are you weighing your food and logging accurately?
    antdelsa wrote: »
    Drop no more than 300 - 500 calories, make sure your macros are dialed in, don't go at a crazy extreme deficit or you will for sure just gain more weight in the long run ... try this for a few weeks.. also make sure you're drinking AT LEAST a gallon of water a day...

Continue to work out the way you are and just go to a slight calorie deficit, again no more than 300 - 500 calories less than what you've been eating, that should put you between 1800 and 2000 daily.. also cut sugars out of your diet as much as possible.. p90x is pretty intense you have to make sure your macros are in check and you're eating enough for the program thats why i wouldn't drop much lower than where you are already. Try those few little tweaks for a few weeks, you should start dropping weight again, also remember bodyweight fluctuates day to day... I'm not sure how you weigh in but if its everyday stop it!! Weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and make sure you're getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night

Hope this helps!!

Why does OP need to cut out sugars?
  • antdelsa
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Hope this helps!!

Should of been more specific and said processed sugars, but what good is simple carbs with only the exception of post workout?

If goal is to lose weight why wouldn't you reduce simple carbs to free up cals for more beneficial macros?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Should of been more specific and said processed sugars, but what good is simple carbs with only the exception of post workout?

If goal is to lose weight why wouldn't you reduce simple carbs to free up cals for more beneficial macros?

Because simple carbs are tasty and, to some, satisfying? And for some, over-restriction can lead to binging? The individual can figure out what works for them. Not every calorie you ingest has to have a specific purpose.
  • cityruss
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Because everything can be fit in to an all round balanced dietary intake that meets recommended values and promotes satiety and adherence.

Rote atbitrary bro advice just doesn't cut it.
  • antdelsa
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Because simple carbs are tasty and, to some, satisfying? And for some, over-restriction can lead to binging? The individual can figure out what works for them. Not every calorie you ingest has to have a specific purpose.

I'm only giving my advice, not sure why people in here always zero in on one small detail and get so negative or defensive of others when i post but simple sugars aren't a good habit to hold onto, so yes while it may be ok here and there i would as i said before TRY TO CUT THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE... not all together or none at all but just get in the habit of cutting down on them as much as possible.... i have simple carbs everyday after a hard workout, but its for other reasons than just them being "tasty and satisfying" .... the idea i mean at least for me is to break bad habits not excuse them

Not trying to offend anyone
  • antdelsa
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Because everything can be fit in to an all round balanced dietary intake that meets recommended values and promotes satiety and adherence.

Rote atbitrary bro advice just doesn't cut it.

Satiety can easily com from protein, as well as more beneficial fibrous complex carbs and healthy fats.... simple sugars, processed sugars and simple carbs in general i think should be reduced as much as possible... again thats just me as i can see much more beneficial ways to use thise macros, adherence is will power in my opinion, the more simple carbs you excuse eating the more you will crave them, but if you can replace that with something that is more beneficial and just as satisfying then why not?

I didn't say never eat another sugar again, all i said is try to cut them as much as you can
  • cityruss
    Options

Hope this helps!!

I'm only giving my advice, not sure why people in here always zero in on one small detail and get so negative or defensive of others when i post but simple sugars aren't a good habit to hold onto, so yes while it may be ok here and there i would as i said before TRY TO CUT THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE... not all together or none at all but just get in the habit of cutting down on them as much as possible.... i have simple carbs everyday after a hard workout, but its for other reasons than just them being "tasty and satisfying" .... the idea i mean at least for me is to break bad habits not excuse them

Calm down chum, this is an open Internet forum where polite debate is promoted.

I'm just very much of the opinion that anything can be consumed in the correct context and dosage and no one macro or food stuff needs to be targeted as being bad.

Yes, if you are over doing it on donuts and the like to the point where calories and macronutrients are suffering then by all means target 'processed sugars'. But there's really no need to pick on those lovely tasty satisfying foods if the rest of your diet is on point.
  • antdelsa
    Options

Hope this helps!!

Calm down chum, this is an open Internet forum where polite debate is promoted.

I'm just very much of the opinion that anything can be consumed in the correct context and dosage and no one macro or food stuff needs to be targeted as being bad.

Yes, if you are over doing it on donuts and the like to the point where calories and macronutrients are suffering then by all means target 'processed sugars'. But there's really no need to pick on those lovely tasty satisfying foods if the rest of your diet is on point.

I agree with this, and like i said i have my sweet treat after the gym but, i think when it comes to making lifestyle changes its better to try and really make those changes and reverse bad habits as much as possible, as time progresses we always find that comfortable and happy medium and what works for us eventually
  • antdelsa
    Options
    The OP never even said they had a issue with simple sugars lol it was literally just me making a suggestion and was only one in a sea of great advice.... how'd we get stuck on this

Why does this always happen when i comment
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm only giving my advice, not sure why people in here always zero in on one small detail and get so negative or defensive of others when i post but simple sugars aren't a good habit to hold onto, so yes while it may be ok here and there i would as i said before TRY TO CUT THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...

What you don't seem to be understanding is that this blanket advice does not work for everyone and for many people is counterproductive and will make it harder for them to lose weight. Simple carbs are not a "bad habit", they are just a category of food that, for some people, may make it harder to regulate food intake, but for others, trying to restrict certain foods makes it harder to regulate their eating.

So a blanket recommendation to cut out certain foods may be good advice for some but is bad, counterproductive advice for others. If you're going to put it out there it needs to be framed as "something that worked for me, maybe you should try it", not "this is what you MUST do".

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP - Sorry, but you're eating too much. My quick calcs puts 2300 at maintenance for your height/weight/age/sex.

Including exercise you should be aiming for about 1500 -1600 cals for weight loss.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The OP never even said they had a issue with simple sugars lol it was literally just me making a suggestion and was only one in a sea of great advice.... how'd we get stuck on this

Why does this always happen when i comment

It keeps happening because you make blanket statements about things that aren't blanket.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    I'm only giving my advice, not sure why people in here always zero in on one small detail and get so negative or defensive of others when i post but simple sugars aren't a good habit to hold onto, so yes while it may be ok here and there i would as i said before TRY TO CUT THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE...

What you don't seem to be understanding is that this blanket advice does not work for everyone and for many people is counterproductive and will make it harder for them to lose weight. Simple carbs are not a "bad habit", they are just a category of food that, for some people, may make it harder to regulate food intake, but for others, trying to restrict certain foods makes it harder to regulate their eating.

So a blanket recommendation to cut out certain foods may be good advice for some but is bad, counterproductive advice for others. If you're going to put it out there it needs to be framed as "something that worked for me, maybe you should try it", not "this is what you MUST do".

I didn't say " this is what you must do" lol

What i said in my exact words was "cut sugars out of your diet as much as possible.."

As well as "TRY those little tweaks for a few weeks and see if that helps"

I'm pretty sure i was being suggestive and my advice wasn't framed as demanding or absolute in any way at all

Also unless someone is diabetic or has other insulin related issues how aside from post workout recovery is processed sugars good for anyone nutritionally... i could be wrong but from anything I've ever read they are a huge contributer to America's obesity problem and really not beneficial
  • antdelsa
    Options
    And i read OP's OP and they actually even said they avoid sugars ans processed foods, so this whole debate is moot at this point, unless you guys want to pick out another minute detail in my suggestions to berate lol