Gaining Weight After So Much Work...Desperate!

Options
2»

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    What i said in my exact words was "cut sugars out of your diet as much as possible.."

You state things in the imperative form of verbs as if they are a requirement and then get defensive when people say they are not a requirement.

When you do that, you are going to get comments asking you to back up why X is a requirement.

If you want to avoid that, phase things as suggestions about things that had worked for you rather than requirements.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    TigerSpot wrote: »
    Sorry. To clarify, I didn't eat more than 2,300 calories per day. I'm 5'10 and (currently) 193 pounds with a thicker build. I exercise for 30-40 minutes a day. I never do the whole hour of P90X because I don't have the endurance yet.

I am an inch shorter than you and when I was where you are now (and even when I was even heavier than that) I was eating a lot less than 2300. Do you mean 2300 gross? 2300 net seems very high for weight loss unless you are active, as defined by MFP, on top of the 30 or so minutes of intentional exercise you are doing. For reference I log 30k+ steps a day of life and am running a marathon training program 6 days a week (and cross training the 7th). My maintenance with that level of activity and only an inch shorter than you is 3000-3100. So I'm of the mind you are either overestimating your burns with your intentional exercise versus your overall level of activity, eating too much or both.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The OP never even said they had a issue with simple sugars lol it was literally just me making a suggestion and was only one in a sea of great advice.... how'd we get stuck on this

Why does this always happen when i comment

It keeps happening because you make blanket statements about things that aren't blanket.

Jesus christ how is anything i said a "blanket statement" lol so much hate in this "community" when I'm simple just trying to help someone acheive their goals, figured I'd give it another chance and maybe the last time was just an isolated incident but i guess i was wrong, and now you have returned randomly to hate on me but offer no advice for the OP....

If you have any better suggestions than be productive and share, if you commented solely to tell me how I'm wrong than i feel sorry for you Seska...
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What i said in my exact words was "cut sugars out of your diet as much as possible.."

You state things in the imperative form of verbs as if they are a requirement and then get defensive when people say they are not a requirement.

When you do that, you are going to get comments asking you to back up why X is a requirement.

If you want to avoid that, phase things as suggestions about things that had worked for you rather than requirements.

Stop being so sensitive about a singular word, you're reading way too much into it instead of just taking what advice is being given, if its something you can apply to your situation or something you think you'd like to try then great... if not then simply disregard, no reason to turn someone's post negative when they are looking for help
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OP, you asked if anyone else has experienced this, I just wanted to assure you you are not alone! It can take a while to home in on the best approach for you. The key is not to give up. You've made a start, and even though it feels like you've made no progress, your steps towards better health, especially the exercise, will be making a difference even if you can't see it yet.

There are basically two possibilities: either you are not losing weight because you're unintentionally eating more than you burn, or you ARE losing weight but retaining water so it doesn't show yet. Either way, you will get through this if you keep persisting and learning
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Stop being so sensitive about a singular word, you're reading way too much into it instead of just taking what advice is being given, if its something you can apply to your situation or something you think you'd like to try then great... if not then simply disregard, no reason to turn someone's post negative when they are looking for help

If you don't fall in line, and parrot the official MFP mantra, you will be shouted down by the hordes, and any possible benefit of your advice will be lost amid the chaos.

And as far as "blanket statements" go, some (such as myself) don't do well by moderating food intake; sorry, I can't eat just three Oreos for "dessert." I'd rather wait until I'm on a bulk, and do it the right way. However, the constant advice on these forums is "all things in moderation," which most certainly does not work for everyone.

I eat simple carbs myself, but I do think it is a laudable goal to cut down on their excess, as long as this will not trigger binge behavior, which, for many, is not an issue. As you've stated, carbs are an expendable macro (and don't tell me how we need them to survive...no one has an issue getting adequate carbs in today's society).

You should keep posting. Dissent is healthy, and some actually like to think about why they make their food decisions.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

If reading what you said = reading too much into it, then try saying what you actually want people to read.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, sorry your thread got hijacked with an argument :(

Where did you get that calorie goal from? It does seem a little high.

How are you measuring your portions?

A new exercise regimen can add some water weight for the first couple of weeks as well.

My guess is that the only problem is your calorie goal and maybe some inaccurate logging.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Let us not forget that fruit are simple sugars...
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I agree that your calorie goal seems high. I'm two inches taller and a hundred pounds heavier than you. With a half hour workout, I would probably aim to eat what you're eating. Where did you get that calorie goal?

Also, are you anywhere near your period or ovulation (assuming female)? Because either or both of those can cause you to retain water, and mask fat loss if there's been any.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and 194 lbs and lose eating around 1600 calories if I don't exercise, if I do exercise I get around 100 or 200 calories more per day. Where did you come up with the 2300 calories to lose?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem too high to me. I doubt you are coming close to burning off what you think you might be. Also, since you've been exercising intensely, almost daily, there's bound to be some initial water retention as your body adjusts. I doubt there's a think wrong with your thyroid. I'd go down to 1800 calories and be VERY strict about logging. I think you'll see some results after 3 weeks or so.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    TigerSpot wrote: »
    Sorry. To clarify, I didn't eat more than 2,300 calories per day. I'm 5'10 and (currently) 193 pounds with a thicker build. I exercise for 30-40 minutes a day. I never do the whole hour of P90X because I don't have the endurance yet.

I'm 5'9" & 203 and could never lose on 2300 (and would in fact gain). Have you entered your stats and gotten a calorie allowance? Maybe you chose an activity level that is too high.
  • TigerSpot
    TigerSpot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, guys.
    Thanks for all of the advice.
    I'm going to lower my calorie intake to 1800 this week to see what happens. I'm still feeling disheartened, but I'm not going to derail. Thanks for being willing to help!
    By the way, it DOES suck that this thread was hijacked by an argument, but rest assured that I'm taking any and all useful advice into account, so thank you for trying to help in the first place. (Now knock it off, please. This is embarrassing.)

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Great that you won't let it derail you. That attitude alone makes it very likely you will succeed in the end. Go for it!