low carbs

Hi,

I am new on here :) I decided to get rid of weight watchers since I can do this online and its free . :) I haven't been very successful in losing weight for the last 5 years partially due to thyroid issues ( on meds now ) and age 47. Never had a weight problem but l now I am 40lbs over weight . Most advice I have been given is to drop the carbs and I have started its not easy but doable . My question is when you are out of your mind for a sweet fix or craving something like bread or rice is there anything you have come across that helps and is low carbs ? I know we have to be creative that is for sure. Also can you drop pounds pretty quickly on a low carb diet ?
Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You lose some more water weight initially on low carb. You don't lose fat faster. You lose fat through sustaining a calorie deficit. A larger deficit, a faster loss. A too large deficit, and you get sick. Find your balance.

You don't have to eat low carb if you don't want to. You have to consistently reduce your calorie intake to lose weight.

Logging correctly in your food diary can help you stick to an appropriate amount of calories. But it's just a tool. You still have to not eat too much.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    There's a great group for people who eat low-carb, you can find it here and request to join. I've found it really helpful even though I'm not super low-carb. It can be very hard, but if you do it right it can be very rewarding.
  • It helps to gradually lower your carbs. That way you don't find your self feeling overwhelmed. You still need to make sure you don't overeat though. No matter how low your carbs are if you over eat you will not lose weight. I do find I lose weight easier when I keep my carbs down. I have not cut them completely. How low you go depends on you. I usually advise to keep track of your regular carb intake and lower form there. What are you at right now since you have started your new plan?
  • ChiefKeesh87
    ChiefKeesh87 Posts: 6 Member
    Carbs are important for your body as your body uses these foods to make glucose, the main energy source of the body. What I suggest is carb cycling. Alternate low-carb days with high carb days. That way on your high carb days you can still enjoy things like whole wheat bread and brown rice!