Peanut Butter and Jelly be damned!

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 Tbs of pb on one slice of bread with" no sugar added "jam or yummy jam & big glass of water after
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OKAY. Do the low calorie bread. One tablespoon of P.B. and get the low sugar jelly. You will do just fine! Limit the amount of fat that you have the rest of the day! Big salad no dressing on the side and a big glass of water over ice.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do 145 to 170 grams of Peanut butter with two slices of bread about five days a week its over 1000 calories.. Just move more to burn it up don't starve or deny yourself..

4utzfonc4pby.jpg

So true! If you plan to burn a bunch of calories then you can do this!!!

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Also, I get that bread with lots of nuts and seeds is typically a health food, but I personally think it's far too heavy for a sandwich. Just do regular whole wheat and you don't lose any nutrition but it's almost 150 calories less a slice.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how you make a PB&J with powdered PB. Do you sprinkle it over the jelly or make a paste with water? I've seen the powdered PB at the store and wasn't really sure how it was used. Also, does anyone know of a brand that doesn't add sugar?

Adams is my go to. You have to stir it and I keep it in the fridge so it doesnt separate. Just because there is no sugar means nothing, still calorific 100cal a TBS. I have to keep it in the house or I am sure my kids would die.
  • scootergirl110
    scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, people. I will take the advice of a lower calorie bread and less peanut butter and the rest. For me it has become a treat at this point. It was more of a shock than anything else. You know how sometimes you think you are pretty knowledgeable about nutrition and what the caloric amount is of what you're eating? Well I had a reality check with this one. :(
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am probably the only person who was not shocked by peanut butter calories. I always know it was calorie heavy and spread it pretty thin when making a sandwich. The first time I weighed it I was delighted that I could put a little bit more peanut butter on my bread!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Ew PB :sick:

*runs away from torches and pitchforks*
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I tried PB&J yogurt from Trader Joe's yesterday. They have many wonderful things at that store, this was NOT one of them.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I tried PB&J yogurt from Trader Joe's yesterday. They have many wonderful things at that store, this was NOT one of them.

lol I love it.. I have it almost every morning for breakfast...
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    A weighed serving on an Aldi 90 calorie wrap with their Fit and Active Raspberry preserves is a tasty and satisfying treat for under 300 calories.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I was flying through Houston in October and grabbed a pb&j that came to just over 1000 calories. Mind was blown at how much peanut butter was on that thing. And how thick the bread was.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how you make a PB&J with powdered PB. Do you sprinkle it over the jelly or make a paste with water? I've seen the powdered PB at the store and wasn't really sure how it was used. Also, does anyone know of a brand that doesn't add sugar?

Mix the powdered peanut butter directly into the jelly. No paste for me. Water & bread.....not a good combination.

Look up peanut "flour" for no sugar added.

I use PB2 mixed into oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and smoothies. The paste is good as a dip for fruit. I've not tried this but many people here use in Asian peanut sauce.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am probably the only person who was not shocked by peanut butter calories. I always know it was calorie heavy and spread it pretty thin when making a sandwich. The first time I weighed it I was delighted that I could put a little bit more peanut butter on my bread!

Same here. I grew up spreading peanut butter pretty thin on thin bread. I have a memory of going to a friend's house and getting a pb&j so thick I could barely choke it down without milk.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I do 145 to 170 grams of Peanut butter with two slices of bread about five days a week its over 1000 calories.. Just move more to burn it up don't starve or deny yourself..

4utzfonc4pby.jpg

Now THAT'S my kind of peanut butter sandwich!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

4utzfonc4pby.jpg

Lol...for many of us smaller people, we'd have to run about a half marathon every day to burn that off...

It's pretty much my biggest pet peeve on MFP when guys twice my size say stuff like this because it's so far from reality for those of us who are short and light. My TDEE running 30 miles a week is barely 2000/day, and I would literally have to make the gym my job and spend eight hours a day in there to eat like guys like @Michael190lbs suggest.

All that to say that I wish I could eat that much peanut butter, but I like my current weight more than sandwiches, so, alas, OP, I feel your pain.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I
    JoRocka wrote: »

4utzfonc4pby.jpg

the amount of cardio I'd have to do to burn that off would be intolerable.
    I'd rather just not eat it.

I ride a 18-21 miles six days a week ( to keep myself sane) and hit the weight gym 6 days a week (Vanity) plus average over 20,000 steps 5 days a week at my job. I did quit eating it when I was in deficit but in Maintenance for the last six months.. 178-183
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is like "wow an actual serving of PB is a lot, I don't actually need that much." ?

Maybe it's because I have PB on english muffins almost daily before I go to the gym, so it's one of those "I can have this all the time I'm not tempted to eat more than I need" things, but sometimes I don't even take the whole 32 grams. (I'm probably a freak, it's fine.)
  • MEMD1974
    MEMD1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hear ya! This happened to me almost exactly a few weeks ago - did not want to buy lunch, brought PBJ ... wah. I feel your pain.