eddiedamn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter came as a huge shock to me, too! :o
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I do 145 to 170 grams of Peanut butter with two slices of bread about five days a week its over 1000 calories.. Just move more to burn it up don't starve or deny yourself..

the amount of cardio I'd have to do to burn that off would be intolerable.
    I'd rather just not eat it.

Nor is 5000 calories of exercise in a week necessary to being fit.

Also, the "I will eat this and burn it off" approach is generally not healthy for people with eating disorders, or at least go through spells of disordered eating habits. It's a healthier mindset to eat more because they've been extra active, or just try to stick with a balanced plan of food and exercise because the body needs both for different and similar reasons.

Calorie counting has really helped me learn how much I should be eating and how little energy my body actually requires from food to engage in exercise or other extra activity, and be content with a base level before adding any extra activity or exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'm curious how you make a PB&J with powdered PB. Do you sprinkle it over the jelly or make a paste with water? I've seen the powdered PB at the store and wasn't really sure how it was used. Also, does anyone know of a brand that doesn't add sugar?

Mix the powdered peanut butter directly into the jelly. No paste for me. Water & bread.....not a good combination.

Look up peanut "flour" for no sugar added.

I use PB2 mixed into oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and smoothies. The paste is good as a dip for fruit. I've not tried this but many people here use in Asian peanut sauce.

I never would have thought to mix it right into the jelly -- thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is like "wow an actual serving of PB is a lot, I don't actually need that much." ?

Maybe it's because I have PB on english muffins almost daily before I go to the gym, so it's one of those "I can have this all the time I'm not tempted to eat more than I need" things, but sometimes I don't even take the whole 32 grams. (I'm probably a freak, it's fine.)

You're not alone. I mean, I don't really eat PB, but I use almond or hazelnut butter and usually 25-30g is plenty for me.
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I tried PB&J yogurt from Trader Joe's yesterday. They have many wonderful things at that store, this was NOT one of them.

I actually liked that one! But I'm totally not into Greek yogurt right now.
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do 145 to 170 grams of Peanut butter with two slices of bread about five days a week its over 1000 calories.. Just move more to burn it up don't starve or deny yourself..

4utzfonc4pby.jpg

*droool* I tend to do that more than a couple times a week if not careful!!! ... suddenly half a jar is gone in one sitting! Just can't keep it in the house anymore :( . Have always gone for the crunchy unsweetened and unsalted kind. The powder doesn't exist in supermarkets here in NZ so it's not an easily available alternative.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Who knew peanut butter could evoke such emotions? I enjoyed reading each post. I rarely eat peanut butter anymore. When I first started watching what I ate, I would eat a TBSP of peanut butter to reach my calories for the day. I do not have that problem anymore. Now if I want pb and j, I will have the pbfit, sugar free jelly, and two slices of Sara Lee whole wheat bread, which is 120 calories for both slices. It satisfies my craving. I actually recently tried to eat regular peanut butter and I found it too rich. Same with a Reese's cup...I know. Waaaah
  • scootergirl110
    scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I hear you about the PB emotions! Who knew! Well since there are 14.3 grams in a tablespoon - I'm going to stick to that. In case anyone is interested - I did not have my first PB&J until I was in my early 20s - many moons ago. It's not something that I grew up eating in Latin America or Europe where I also lived as a child. Once I tried it, however, I just loved it! I don't want to give it up. It will just be consumed in smaller quantities, that's all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am probably the only person who was not shocked by peanut butter calories. I always know it was calorie heavy and spread it pretty thin when making a sandwich. The first time I weighed it I was delighted that I could put a little bit more peanut butter on my bread!

Same here. I grew up spreading peanut butter pretty thin on thin bread. I have a memory of going to a friend's house and getting a pb&j so thick I could barely choke it down without milk.

Yup...I grew up pretty poor...PB was cheap and calorie dense...one of my mom's staples for feeding a growing boy. PB and Wonder Bread.

I have a PB&J about once every couple of weeks or so...but for me, it's not even close to half a days worth of calories...it's a perfectly reasonable lunch.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I find a peanut butter and jam sandwich is rarely worth the amount of calories

Cause I want looots of peanut butter and jelly or it's not satisfying

Now I settle for toasted English muffins with table spoon of pb and jam
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is like "wow an actual serving of PB is a lot, I don't actually need that much." ?

Maybe it's because I have PB on english muffins almost daily before I go to the gym, so it's one of those "I can have this all the time I'm not tempted to eat more than I need" things, but sometimes I don't even take the whole 32 grams. (I'm probably a freak, it's fine.)

yes, you're the only one :tongue: One serving is just not worth my time..

• ModernRock
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I grew up spreading peanut butter pretty thin on thin bread. I have a memory of going to a friend's house and getting a pb&j so thick I could barely choke it down without milk.

Yup...I grew up pretty poor...PB was cheap and calorie dense...one of my mom's staples for feeding a growing boy. PB and Wonder Bread.

I ate peanut butter on one piece of folded bread and a can of condensed chicken noodle soup for lunch many, many times during summer break. My folks are great and were doing the best they could.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I grew up spreading peanut butter pretty thin on thin bread. I have a memory of going to a friend's house and getting a pb&j so thick I could barely choke it down without milk.

I ate peanut butter on one piece of folded bread and a can of condensed chicken noodle soup for lunch many, many times during summer break. My folks are great and were doing the best they could.

that's lucky, we rarely had bread or anything that could go bad. my sister and i had to share a 99 cent tostinos pizza or we had to share a package of ramen. i still cringe thinking about eating frozen pizzas.

edit: sorry, it was totino's cheese "party pizza".
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you want to just skip the bread, and you don't mind cottage cheese, I suggest cottage cheese pb&j :) Mine was sort of a snack size but was 278, so if you doubled it, it would be 556. I also didn't use peanut butter powder- it was still "natural" from Smuckers I think it was, but powdered pb probably would've taken away some calories. And if you don't like the curds in the cottage cheese, take an immersion blender to it so it becomes smooth.
  • ModernRock
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

that's lucky, we rarely had bread or anything that could go bad. my sister and i had to share a 99 cent tostinos pizza or we had to share a package of ramen. i still cringe thinking about eating frozen pizzas.

Apparently my folks decided bread, peanut butter and chicken noodle soup was some sort of perfect storm of value and nutrition, something I could make on my own, and not complain about it. So, they stuck with it.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love PB&J, but discovered the same thing. I love my thick multigrain bread, so switching it out with something lighter doesn't really appeal to me (and the idea of powdered peanut butter makes me want to cry). I'm lucky in that a little bit of PB goes a long way for me. Once I started measuring it, I realized I was actually using less than the serving size. I fit it in occasionally now that I'm in maintenance. I also tend to prefer PB&J before a long run or during a long hike.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I ate so many of those as a broke college student. And ramen. Always ramen.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Nope, though we're clearly the minority in this thread :smiley:

I love peanut butter, but am not fond of having my mouth stuck together from it, so I've always used a very thin layer. First time I weighed what I use as a serving on a slice of bread I was surprised to see it was only ~1/4 of a serving.

Now, once that peanut butter is baked into cookies or made into buckeyes, or peanut butter cups, or used as an ice cream ingredient that all flies merrily out the window.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    You just have to measure out a little less peanut butter. I find though that anything with peanut butter is very filling. So at least it doesn't leave me hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

For me, 32 grams is just fine for a sandwich.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I feel bad about the dire circumstances that prompted the comment, and frozen pizza was a staple of my unpleasant childhood too, but I still happen to like Totinos pizzas, and now they're my kids' favorite. Go figure.