fallingwave
fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Favorite low carb fiber rich foods?

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Have a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. It's not low carb, but it's high fiber and can help you get ahead of your fiber goals for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Fiber is a carbohydrate...

Most really good sources are going to be high carb...things like beans, lentils, oats, etc...otherwise, yeah...a *kitten* pile of veggies...but even with veggies you're going to have a tough time getting your numbers up.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe Metamucil or some fibre supplement? Are they high carb?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Spinach and psyllium were my go to fiber sources when keto.
  • Spliner1969
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Fiber itself is indigestible (for the most part) so it wouldn't matter. It's what you get the fiber from that will add more carbs. Several cereal manufacturers make high fiber all-bran cereals that will help a bunch. It's true though, you'll have to budget for the carbs. Unless you have a medical issue and need to lower carbs, it shouldn't be a problem. Carbs are not the devil and lowering them will not help you lose weight unless lowering them puts you under your TDEE for calories. Simply adjust something else to add more carbs (fat or protein).

Ice Cream is also high in fiber.. most types anyway. Also has carbs though.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fiber and low in carbs don't really go together. I'm gonna offer up lentils though as they are general all around nutrition giants.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Fiber itself is indigestible (for the most part) so it wouldn't matter. It's what you get the fiber from that will add more carbs. Several cereal manufacturers make high fiber all-bran cereals that will help a bunch. It's true though, you'll have to budget for the carbs. Unless you have a medical issue and need to lower carbs, it shouldn't be a problem. Carbs are not the devil and lowering them will not help you lose weight unless lowering them puts you under your TDEE for calories. Simply adjust something else to add more carbs (fat or protein).

Yeah, I was more so trying to point out that low carb and high fiber don't really go hand in hand...foods that are high in fiber are going to be high in carbohydrates
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fiber goal and let my fiber fall where it may which ends up around 10g-20g so I don't know how "rich" these foods are. But nuts (almonds and pistachios), black beans, green beans and pears are some of the higher fiber foods in my diet (under 50g carb).
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Yeah, I was more so trying to point out that low carb and high fiber don't really go hand in hand...foods that are high in fiber are going to be high in carbohydrates

Gotchya. It's why I turned to the cereals. Fiber One, and some others, have some pure-brand varieties that can give you 8-14g of fiber in one serving. Fiber One Original Bran Cereal is 14g fiber, 25g Carbs, and only 60 calories. So more than half of those carbs aren't digested. I add a little fruit for flavor and use light vanilla flavored almond milk with mine (again to enhance the flavor so it doesn't taste like cardboard lol).

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have diverticulosis - http://patients.gi.org/topics/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis/ and my doctor put me on a high fiber/low fat diet. I eat a lot of grains, potatoes and beans along with a ton of green vegetables, not processed foods or oils. It does help a lot.

Glucomanan is a root that you can buy in pill form, it's high in fiber and supposedly makes people feel more "full", I have noticed. I just eat real food.

Good luck!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Huh (to the bolded)? What ice cream is high fiber? The only one I can think of is Halo Top which is more of a frozen dessert than ice cream, but I'll allow it any way just so the list has at least 1 on it. What's another?
  • EDollah
    Options
    Also, to answer the OP, I get a big chunk of fiber from my protein bar. Not all brands have it, but when they do it can be substantial (15-20g). See Combat Crunch or Muscletech Mission 1 or Quest bars.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »
    Huh (to the bolded)? What ice cream is high fiber? The only one I can think of is Halo Top which is more of a frozen dessert than ice cream, but I'll allow it any way just so the list has at least 1 on it. What's another?

The ones I like are Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom varieties. My favorite is chocolate, 4g fiber per half cup. Sometimes when I have not hit my fiber goal for the day it helps to have some as a late snack. Low in calories as well. How's that for an excuse to eat ice cream? ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I eat Peters no sugar added ice cream which has 13g Fibre per 200g and 17g Carbs.

OP- psyllium husk powder and avocados.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

When I'm serious about getting 35 grams of fiber in a day, I start with
    Ole' Xtreme Wellness Tortilla which has has 10 grams of fiber.
    Then I make sure I get 78 grams of beans.
    I snack on 40 grams of prunes.

I'll have a piece of Dave's Killer Bread. All that and a few other vegetables gets me to 35 grams of fiber. Easy.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I have diverticulosis - http://patients.gi.org/topics/diverticulosis-and-diverticulitis/ and my doctor put me on a high fiber/low fat diet. I eat a lot of grains, potatoes and beans along with a ton of green vegetables, not processed foods or oils. It does help a lot.

Glucomanan is a root that you can buy in pill form, it's high in fiber and supposedly makes people feel more "full", I have noticed. I just eat real food.

Good luck!

I have mild diverticulosis too but I can't eat more than 25gr. of fiber a day for few days in a row. If I do, I never leave the house or the bathroom. Interesting how we are all affected differently by the same food group.
  • EDollah
    Options
    Interesting to hear about the other ice creams with protein. It only stands to reason that if at least one (Halo Top) is making it with fiber, others would too.

I looked over my diary to see if I had any significant sources of fiber not mentioned already. I found the following:
    Oikos Triple Zero yogurt (6g fiber out of 14g carbs). It's not common to find yogurt with fiber, but it does exist.
    Chia seeds (5g fiber out of 6g carbs)
    Dark chocolate! (4g out of 20g carbs for the 1/2 serving of this particular brand)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Spinach, raspberries, unsweetened coconut, avocados. I happen to like flaxseed meal too.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Interesting to hear about the other ice creams with protein. It only stands to reason that if at least one (Halo Top) is making it with fiber, others would too.

I looked over my diary to see if I had any significant sources of fiber not mentioned already. I found the following:
    Oikos Triple Zero yogurt (6g fiber out of 14g carbs). It's not common to find yogurt with fiber, but it does exist.
    Dark chocolate! (4g out of 20g carbs for the 1/2 serving of this particular brand)

Forgot about the yogurt. I love Oikos, need to pick some up this weekend. ;)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Triple Zero's fiber is chicory root (aka inulin). Some people tolerate this additive better than others....yikes! I bought 5 containers and threw away 4.