People who bank calories for the weekend read this !

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If the article is about bingeing, it's not about calorie banking.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Rat study? (that would be point one...)

Also, beyond eating different macro distribution, did these poor poor rats also eat the same amount of calories (regardless of high fat, low fat, intermittent high/low)? (that would be point two...)

And... rat study? seriously?
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Anything published by Murdoch's News Corp. is as accurate & empirical as anything written by say umm Perez Hilton....
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Binging is entirely different to eating a few extra calories on each weekend, though...
    Just as having a G&T before dinner at the weekend is not the same as going out and having 15 pints of lager
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes*
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Very questionable for a number of reasons:

1. Animal study with no statistics suggesting a similar effect in humans. I can't emphasise enough that without that, any animal study is at best suggestive and usually only interesting.

2. Use of the word "junk" with no definition. Later in the article it's implied that "junk" means a high fat diet. How high? What percentage of calories from fat? What was the makeup of the other calories? How much sugar? What actually was the food - hamburgers? Fries? Or some special rat diet adjusted to count as "junk food"? How does that relate to a realistic human "junk food" diet?

3. No definition of what counts as a "continuous" "junk" diet or as a "binge". Quantities matter, and the tendency in animal experiments is often to exaggerate the amounts to get a measurable result. See how far we're getting from a clear statement on effects in humans?

4. No definition at all of what negative effects occur to make it "just as bad" except for statements about the gut microbiota. Gut flora is important, but we are still just beginning to understand how it impacts on health. We can't draw simple conclusions from it.

This research is not ready to be used to formulate health advice. It's an interesting animal experiment of the kind that adds another piece to our understanding of the interaction between food and digestion. The article is badly written and over-interprets the results badly. Nobody should change their eating patterns based on this.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I bank calories for the weekend but only because I like to enjoy a nice meal out, a lovely dessert and maybe a glass of wine....
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I calorie bank for the weekends to eat more calories, not different kinds of foods. I eat at restaurants during the week and I eat at restaurants during the weekend. I eat veggies and whole grains during the week and I eat veggies and whole grains during the weekends. I eat cookies and chips and ice cream during the week and I eat cookies and chips and ice cream during the weekend. Etc Etc. I eat the same kinds of foods, I just adjust the calorie amounts.

This method has worked great for me and I'm in excellent health, with a healthy bmi of around 21 :)

eta: I also refuse to label food 'good, 'bad', 'junk' etc. That has led to a distorted and unhealthy relationship with food in the past and I'll never go back there. Food is food and I've learned how to eat in a way that's not only sustainable and realistic for me and my lifestyle, but also in a way that has allowed me to accomplish my health and weight goals.

I'm coming up on 4 years of maintenance soon and have already beat the odds for weight loss adherence. I've also drastically improved all of my health markers, including stabilizing high glucose numbers. What I'm doing is working great for me, and one of my strategies is calorie banking!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That's about gut health, isn't it? That's a totally different thing, and one I honestly don't really care about (although it could explain why some people end up with digestive issues when they only indulge on week ends).