anyone getting fit at home with dvds?

Options
2»

Replies

• von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have got a spin bike but never tried any classes from YouTube. I do get a bit distracted if they go on for too long and start thinking about other things that need doing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry, I don't do anything intense haha. I have these really cheesy Walk Away the Pounds videos on VHS and DVD that I've been doing daily for a month (I was a complete couch potato before) with some five pound dumbbells. I'd imagine this is beginner-friendly, not sure what someone who is probably more in shape like you would need.

My motivation is also a little silly, I bought a calendar that I put an X on every day I've exercised for at least 30 minutes and buy myself something at the end of the week if I've finished it (Like last week it was a new shirt).

This^

A calendar - a spreadsheet - something to make yourself accountable. I started off with a measly goal of 60 minutes of exercise for the week. Then I built on that. It got me into the habit.

Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith videos are great. You can make (keep) them beginner or bump up the intensity for intermediate (more arms, higher knees, some high impact stuff or use a rebounder).

Test drive these on YouTube. The great thing about Jessica Smith's videos, you get more variety (including strength training & yoga).

http://jessicasmithtv.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For an alternate perspective, I can't stand Leslie Sansone or Jillian Michaels. (Not criticizing anyone who likes them. I have a fondness for 1990s step aerobics so I don't have any room to talk. To each his/her own. But those two are not for me. I find myself too fit to be the least bit challenged by Walk Away the Pounds and I just found something off-putting about 30 Day Shred. I think Jillian's style is just not right for me.)

I do work out exclusively at home and have lost 44 pounds so far this year. I'm basically done at this point and slowly transitioning to maintenance. I started the year doing a lot of Urban Rebounding but it is not really challenging me any longer. The DVDs are a little dated but I liked them, and there are Urban Rebounding programs for all fitness levels, so it might be a good place to start. I have some The Firm workouts and I don't find them so challenging any longer, but I thought they were good when I was getting started. Kelsie is my favorite The Firm instructor (The 500 Calorie Workout is a good one -- if you are just starting, follow the modifier or don't do the whole thing).

I do a lot of mixed martial arts style workouts. I was a big fan of Tae Bo back in the day. I wish they would re-release the old VHS tapes on DVD, though, because I am just not so into the newer workouts. (I still do the newer ones sometimes.) I like Les Mills Combat from Beachbody, but it has been taken out of production due to a licensing issue (although apparently you can stream Les Mills Bodycombat workouts, so that would be comparable). I have two sets of that one just in case the DVDs go bad!

I do a lot of kettlebell workouts on DVD. I like Sarah Lurie although I'm not such a fan of her lengthy rest periods so I usually jump around during them. Kettlebell Kickboxing DVDs are all right, too, although the cardio moves don't do much for me so I do my own during those periods. You can sometimes find those for half price on Gilt City or Groupon or sites like that.

I'm a big fan of Beachbody exercise programs (not the supplements or any of the other junk). I did Focus T25 a few years ago and found I liked Shaun T as an instructor so I do Insanity workouts a couple of times a week. Those are about right for my current fitness level. Focus T25 has a modifier if you want to start there. I like P90X and P90X3, as well.

The trick for Beachbody DVDs is to wait for sales. Sign up for the Team Beachbody email list and usually around holidays they will have big discounts for some of their older programs. I got Insanity for under $50 that way (on Labor Day, of all things). I expect there will be a big Christmas/New Year's push.

I do kundalini yoga every morning for 30 minutes (I like the Ana Brett and Ravi Singh DVDs, and I have every single one of them, although kundalini yoga is not for everyone). Not so much for calorie burn but just to get the kinks out after being still all night.

My preferences are for longer, more difficult workouts. I usually combine 2 or 3 in one session (75-90 minutes, although I'll be cutting back now that I'm not trying to lose any more), starting with the hardest and finishing up with something easier. I just found that strategy to work for me. Not everyone has that kind of time or the inclination. I just can't do 1200 calories a day, though. I have to eat more than that. And lots of intense exercise allowed the weight loss to happen anyway.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I used to go to the gym and do classes and swim and tons of cardio.

Since having the kids I just can't be consistent with gym so I started working out from home with DVDs exclusively.

I love that there is a set program and that it tells me what exercises to do, what schedule to follow and even the nutrition. Simple, easy, great results.

I started out with Jillian Michaels DVDs (30-day Shred, Ripped in 30, Buns...) Then I started Insanity and I was hooked. I did a bunch of other Beachbody workout programs (21 Day Fix Extreme, P90x3, Asylum, PiYo, Hammer and Chisel, Insanity Max 30) and now I'm getting into weight lifting with Body Beast.

I know that I will always continue working out from home because it works for me. It's easier, I push harder with no one looking at me, I don't care about my clothes or hair, I don't have to wait for my turn or be in a crowded room. I stay motivated because I see results, and I also connect with a bunch of ladies online who are doing the same workouts as I am, so I don't feel alone.

How does Insanity compare to Ripped in 30? I am currently doing Jillian Michaels BodyShred program and was wondering if that was as intense or more than Insanity.
    jvs125 wrote: »
    I used to go to the gym and do classes and swim and tons of cardio.

Since having the kids I just can't be consistent with gym so I started working out from home with DVDs exclusively.

I love that there is a set program and that it tells me what exercises to do, what schedule to follow and even the nutrition. Simple, easy, great results.

I started out with Jillian Michaels DVDs (30-day Shred, Ripped in 30, Buns...) Then I started Insanity and I was hooked. I did a bunch of other Beachbody workout programs (21 Day Fix Extreme, P90x3, Asylum, PiYo, Hammer and Chisel, Insanity Max 30) and now I'm getting into weight lifting with Body Beast.

I know that I will always continue working out from home because it works for me. It's easier, I push harder with no one looking at me, I don't care about my clothes or hair, I don't have to wait for my turn or be in a crowded room. I stay motivated because I see results, and I also connect with a bunch of ladies online who are doing the same workouts as I am, so I don't feel alone.

How does Insanity compare to Ripped in 30? I am currently doing Jillian Michaels BodyShred program and was wondering if that was as intense or more than Insanity.

I never tried the Jillian Michaels BodyShred so I wouldn't be able to compare properly. From what I have done from JM, she uses more circuit training but you don't push yourself as hard as with Insanity. Insanity is high intensity intervals, you don't have much fun while doing it but you are really proud and feel invincible once you go through the 60 days.

• von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    At present I am managing get out 2/3 nights a week to do classes. Then adding a couple of DVDs. But cost of classes soon adds up and hubby about to be out of work before Christmas. Ive already spent around £1000 at slimming club in last couple of years and although I've only missed three weeks I've gained everything I've lost back. So I'm back here. Unfortunately this morning I decided have a pre weigh look on scales see how I'm doing..... pound on!!!!!
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use DVDs at home, as well as running or walking outside when it's nice enough. On days it's too cold or rainy (I refuse to consider the idea that snow will be a possibility now too, hate the stuff), I use my treadmill. My motivation is being comfortable in my own body and being able to wear my smaller, cuter clothes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    only dvds I use are movies, tv shows etc. Something to watch while I get my cardio in. Don't follow any program, keep my cardio pretty simple (elliptical...steady state for the most part with the odd sprint or uphill thrown in for a challenge)
    It works for me.
  • mo135
    mo135 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have T25, Insanity, and P90X. Since I spend up to half of each year in hotels, they are a great way to workout in the room. One word of advice to fellow road warriors, though. If you're going to be jumping around in your hotel room the other guests will appreciate it if you select a ground level room. Trust me on that one.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I gotten great result. A lot people think I own a gym membership, which I don't. Anything from the beachbody company is good. Jillian Michaels is good too. You will lose it.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Years ago (like 20.LOL) when I first started working out, I picked up a set of dumbbells and a few Firm videos (on VHS!). I got really killer results from those. They still make the videos, updated, of course, but the same basic concept. Strength mixed with cardio. I still do them from time to time. I have also done the P90X videos, which I also really like, but some of them are too long. I am looking into the P90X3 series next, because they are shorter. I also have a series of yoga and pilates videos that I use to supplement my running.

Brings back memories! Back in the day I built two step things for the FIRM workouts. A guy from work followed me home and used his electric drill and carpet stapler. I had two pieces of carpet remnant to put on them. I used them some but then developed health problems. My cat LOVED those steps things!

What an ab workout that was!
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I attended two pilates classes two weeks ago and loved them because it's a sitting down routine. One was on a mat the other with a mat and ball. I did about one partial movement for every 15 they do but hey I'm moving.

Last night I picked up a Windsor Pilates set at the thrift store. I searched online for info about it and find everything is on youtube. My goal is to learn the arm and shoulder movements and try to do those daily.