Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can diabetes really be prevented with diet, exercise and a normal BMI - despite family history?

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have it, all my siblings have/had it, my mother had it, her brother had it, my grandfather had it (that's as far back as I know) Some of us were overweight when we got diagnosed with it, some of us were slender. Some os us ate a lot of sugary food, some of us did not. Some of us were lethargic and grossly inactive, some of us were energetic and very physically active ... For myself, I was the last of the children to be diagnosed with it some 13 years ago when I was 58. My uncle passed away from complication of it when he was 57, by brother when he was 58, my grandfather when he was 36, my mom when she was 75. . A nephew had it, he died at age 40. My son is now in his early 50's and has recently been diagnosed with it, he is of normal weight for his age and height and is physically active but holds a desk job ...

All I can say is do the best you can and if you eventually are diagnosed with it, then do what you can to keep yourself healthy, active, and with tight control on your blood sugar spikes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So Midwesterner,

How would I know what type of Type2 is likely in my family hisory ?

With both of my parents, I strongly suspect just lifestyle factors - because there was no trace of diabetes in the family before them.

When diagnosed, my mom had become obese and was eating emotionally (a lot) without any exercise other than some trips to the market. Her mother and sisters were never anywhere close to diabetes.
    She also had a terrible doctor who only mentioned the word diabetes when she found her blood sugar in the 300's. She had found it well ino the diabetic range before but all she told my mom at that time was to "watch the bread" - no diagnosis. A year later, with values in the 300's the dr. Panicked and only then she told my mom she had diabetes. In the US, she would have had the living lights sued out of her, but in my home country, the suing thing doesn't work.

My dad comes from great genes, everyone in his family lives close to 100 (father 99, mother 90, aunts 95+). He is 71 now and even with a largely sedentary lifestyle and eating whatever he wants (including sweets and animal fat), he is still only "prediabetic". He also smoked for decades but quit about 10 years ago. I have a feeling that if both had had better lifestyles earlier, they would not have developed type 2 and pre-diabetes, respectively.

So I keep hoping its a type 2 I can avoid, now that we all know better.

You wouldn't know which version of type 2 your parents have without them undergoing some rather costly testing... and that is unnecessary because the odds of having the genetic version are incredibly low. I only mention this rare exception because whenever I explain that type 2 is not really genetic, somebody always brings up that there are a few people who have a different form of type 2 that is, in fact, genetic. Even then, most people who think they got diabetes directly from genetics are mistaken... but they also usually don't understand it, so it is an unintentional error (most doctors are not trained on the differences either).
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, is it fair to say that for thin people who don't have a buildup of excess fat who are Type 2 or prediabetic Type 2, genetics directly comes into play with not being able to produce enough insulin?

No, that isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are 2 different ways for type 2 to manifest. One of those ways is directly linked to genetics and the other (the most common) is not. Fat people can get type 2 from a genetic pathway too. For thin adults diagnosed with type 2, sometimes it is even LADA (which is actually type 1 with adult onset) misdiagnosed as type 2.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There seem to be so many knowledgeable people here...so I have one more question. I am not sure if anyone has heard of the dawn phenomenon: people experiencing higher fasting blood sugar than what they had the night before - and without snacking in the meantime.

I read a lot about the dawn phenomenon but it all sees to apply to diabetics - when the fasting blood sugar is not only higher than the night before but also abnormal.

My question is: is this something non-diabetics can experience too? Not that the fasting blood sugar would be abnormal, but it would be higher than what they went to bed with.

I seem to have this - for example I went to bed last night with the blood sugar in the high 70's and in the morning was low 80's.

Other times, it would be high 80's at bed and then mid 90's fasting.

Should I be concerned that my fasting blood sugar rises slightly compared to the night before, even if it stays within normal range?

I understood that this is something that the pancreas does naturally...secrete more insulting in the early morning to get the body prepared for the day. But is this something everyone experiences?

Yes, "dawn phenomenon" can affect non-diabetics... it is just a glycogen dump when fasting.

A change in BG's from 70's to 80's is nothing to worry about and is small enough that it is just as likely be the result of eating different types, quantities, or combination of macros or at different times during fasting. It's also small enough to be a meter variance, since home meters do not provide exact measurements.

ETA: jgnata already addressed the effect of insulin being lowered BG while "down phenomenon" is higher BG. But keep in mind that not everything is precise and some of these things take some time (though not that much, really). Still to raise or lower from upper 70's to lower 80's could just as easily be the effect of meter variances, results of imperfect insulin:food ratios or imperfect insulin:dawn phenomenon ratios.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    So Midwesterner,

With both of my parents, I strongly suspect just lifestyle factors - because there was no trace of diabetes in the family before them.

When diagnosed, my mom had become obese and was eating emotionally (a lot) without any exercise other than some trips to the market. Her mother and sisters were never anywhere close to diabetes.
    She also had a terrible doctor who only mentioned the word diabetes when she found her blood sugar in the 300's. She had found it well ino the diabetic range before but all she told my mom at that time was to "watch the bread" - no diagnosis. A year later, with values in the 300's the dr. Panicked and only then she told my mom she had diabetes. In the US, she would have had the living lights sued out of her, but in my home country, the suing thing doesn't work.

My dad comes from great genes, everyone in his family lives close to 100 (father 99, mother 90, aunts 95+). He is 71 now and even with a largely sedentary lifestyle and eating whatever he wants (including sweets and animal fat), he is still only "prediabetic". He also smoked for decades but quit about 10 years ago. I have a feeling that if both had had better lifestyles earlier, they would not have developed type 2 and pre-diabetes, respectively.

You wouldn't know which version of type 2 your parents have without them undergoing some rather costly testing... and that is unnecessary because the odds of having the genetic version are incredibly low. I only mention this rare exception because whenever I explain that type 2 is not really genetic, somebody always brings up that there are a few people who have a different form of type 2 that is, in fact, genetic. Even then, most people who think they got diabetes directly from genetics are mistaken... but they also usually don't understand it, so it is an unintentional error (most doctors are not trained on the differences either).
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, is it fair to say that for thin people who don't have a buildup of excess fat who are Type 2 or prediabetic Type 2, genetics directly comes into play with not being able to produce enough insulin?

No, that isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there are 2 different ways for type 2 to manifest. One of those ways is directly linked to genetics and the other (the most common) is not. Fat people can get type 2 from a genetic pathway too. For thin adults diagnosed with type 2, sometimes it is even LADA (which is actually type 1 with adult onset) misdiagnosed as type 2.
    Ok, gotcha. I remember reading somewhere that at least part of the genetic basis for Type 2 is a defect in the mitochondria of the cells handling glucose effectively.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    So Midwesterner,

Ok, gotcha. I remember reading somewhere that at least part of the genetic basis for Type 2 is a defect in the mitochondria of the cells handling glucose effectively.

That might be a theory, but I don't know that anyone has ever identified an actual gene that does this. If you know of such gene, then you are aware of something I'm not. All the genetic research that people like to show me for type 2 always comes back to indirect causes (i.e. a gene leads to an increased risk of obesity for whatever reason, which then leads to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes).
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    So Midwesterner,

That might be a theory, but I don't know that anyone has ever identified an actual gene that does this. If you know of such gene, then you are aware of something I'm not. All the genetic research that people like to show me for type 2 always comes back to indirect causes (i.e. a gene leads to an increased risk of obesity for whatever reason, which then leads to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes).
    But in that case, I'm left wondering how in some situations there are families who are thin but yet type 2 is prevalent.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nvmomketo,

This is reassuring. As I have been monitoring my bg a bit more closely lately, I have taken it at different times of the day, several days in a row, just to see how it is behaving after various situations (carb, exercise, fasting/morning, etc). Again, I'm not diabetic or even prediabetic, but I'm obsessive due to family history and having spent my teen years, as well as my early 20's, and a good part of my 30's....pretty much drowning in refined carbs.

Last evening inhad 76 after a relatively active day (in leucine weight lifting) and this morning it was 82.

I suppose that's ok.

Question is how to keep THIS active all the time.

I would test for DP more often. i bet you will find it is usually quite mild or doesn't happen at all. Even I have some days where I wake up with a 4.4 (80). It is inconsistent.

I often wonder if I had eaten a LCHF diet for my adult years, would I have developed T2D? Maybe. Maybe not. If I could go back in time you can bet that I would have gone LCHF a LONG time ago just in case it could have helped avoid this.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    F1.medium.gif

From this referenced article, normal subjects showed no increase in blood sugar from the night before.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/12/3860

But then there is this that shows there is some DP in normal healthy people:

Demonstration of a Dawn Phenomenon in Normal Human Volunteers

Abstract

To ascertain whether the dawn phenomenon occurs in nondiabetic individuals and, if so, whether it is due to an increase in glucose production or a decrease in glucose utilization, we determined plasma concentrations of glucose, insulin, C-peptide, and counter regulatory hormones, as well as rates of glucose production, glucose utilization, and insulin secretion at one-halfhourly intervals between 1:00 and 9:00 a.m. in eight normal volunteers. After 5:30 a.m., plasma glucose, insulin, and C-peptide concentrations all increased significantly; rates of glucose production, glucose utilization, and insulin secretion also increased (all P < 0.05). Plasma cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine increased significantly from nocturnal nadirs between 4:00 and 6:30 a.m. Plasma growth hormone, which had increased episodically between 1:00 and 4:30 a.m., decreased thereafter nearly 50% (P < 0.05). Plasma glucagon did not change significantly throughout the period of observation. These results indicate that a dawn-like phenomenon, initiated by an increase in glucose production, occurs in nondiabetic individuals. Thus, early morning increases in plasma glucose concentrations and insulin requirements observed in IDDM and NIDDM may be an exaggeration of a physiologic circadian variation in hepatic insulin sensitivity induced by antecedent changes in catecholamine and/or growth hormone secretion

But worsening FBG is definitely linked to T2D progression:

The Loss of Postprandial Glycemic Control Precedes Stepwise Deterioration of Fasting With Worsening Diabetes

CONCLUSIONS— The deterioration of glucose homeostasis in individuals with type 2 diabetes progressed from postprandial to fasting hyperglycemia following a three-step process. The first step related to the three diurnal postmeal periods considered as a whole, the second step occurred during the morning period, and the third and final step corresponded to sustained hyperglycemia over the nocturnal fasting periods. Such a description of the key stages in the evolution of type 2 diabetes may be of interest for implementing antidiabetes treatment.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, "dawn phenomenon" can affect non-diabetics... it is just a glycogen dump when fasting.
    A change in BG's from 70's to 80's is nothing to worry about and is small enough that it is just as likely be the result of eating different types, quantities, or combination of macros or at different times during fasting. It's also small enough to be a meter variance, since home meters do not provide exact measurements.

ETA: jgnata already addressed the effect of insulin being lowered BG while "down phenomenon" is higher BG. But keep in mind that not everything is precise and some of these things take some time (though not that much, really). Still to raise or lower from upper 70's to lower 80's could just as easily be the effect of meter variances, results of imperfect insulin:food ratios or imperfect insulin:dawn phenomenon ratios.

I don't think it's the meter because the trend is consistent. Lower at bedtime (couple of hours after a meal), higher in the morning. Again, the morning bg is still below 100, often below 90....but it is usually higher than the night before.
    This can't be the meter.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I don't think it's the meter because the trend is consistent. Lower at bedtime (couple of hours after a meal), higher in the morning. Again, the morning bg is still below 100, often below 90....but it is usually higher than the night before.
    This can't be the meter.

Meters are never exact, but it could just as easily be other fluctuations mentioned. That small of a variance (+/- 5 mg/dl) is very very small and could be impacted by more than a dozen factors, maybe all of them at the same time. I would not worry about that small of a variance, though.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My mother is diabetic and my father is borderline (pre-diabetic).
    Both became quite sedentary after they retired from their comparatively active jobs (agronomists, walking up and down green-house alleys a good part of the day).

My mother acquired diabetes a few years after that. My father just plain sits on the couch and watches the news a good part of the day. They both live overseas (not in the US).
    My mom was almost obese when she was diagnosed and she was a major emotional eater due to some problems related to my brother - but she lost weight ever since. My father is overweight too.

What are my chances of NEVER getting diabetes if, unlike them:

1. I will work to keep my BMI at a normal level.
    2. I exercise daily and make sure to get in at least 10,000 steps a day (not just the hour of intense exercise).
    3. I stay on top of diet and do low-carb, avoid sugar, take blood sugar lowering supplements, whatever.

Last year I had a BMI of 24.8 but I have put on some weight over the past few months due to work-related stress. I am on my way back down to 24.9 which would make me "normal".
    My fasting blood sugar varies from upper 80's to mid 90's on a home testing device (Relion) which, in my experience, shows higher values than doctor's lab.

I have 13 lbs to lose to be back to a normal BMI - and I am 43.

I am so terrified of getting this illness given my family history.

Please someone tell me I can avoid it altogether if I BEHAVE long term - per diabetes guidelines.

Thank you all.

My wife is 52 and for a long time was careless about diabetes prevention. She watched her parents do all the "right" things and still got every possible ailment in their 30's and 40's so she figured she wouldn't bother with all that. Now she's finally started to care and is making all her good readings even better. Strange enough, I came from a non-diabetic family but have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few months ago, with readings higher than my wife's numbers.

So I'm really not sure what to think about prevention. Don't be careless; but being careful is no guarantee either.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about those numbers, @TonyB0588 . Look at it this way. The diabetic diet is very healthy. At the very least it can slow down the progression of the disease and slow down or prevent complications. If you need medication to help bring those numbers down, it's still not the end of the world.

diabetic-eye.png

I'm in remission now, but I was pre-diabetic then diabetic for decades. I was very compliant in regards to my diet. I annually get checked for glaucoma and my eye doctor also checks the back of my eye for any scarring. There is none. She told me the eye never lies, and told me a story of another patient whom she told he had diabetes. She could see the scarring at the back of his eye. He denied it. He told her his doctor said the same thing but he had told the doctor he felt fine and there was nothing wrong with him. A few months later, back for a checkup, the patient was back in the eye doctor's office, much chastened, short a few toes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My uncle died recently from diabetes related condition. Gangreeness leg was amputated, followed by stroke and death shortly thereafter.

3 things remained constant in his life:

1) He was a smoker
    2) He ate copious amounts of lollies (candy) every single day.
    3) He drank soda like it was going out of fashion.

On the other hand he was fit and trim and exercised regularly, was never overweight. Besides the sweets, he ate healthily the rest of the time, plenty of vegies and lean meats.

He is the one and only person in our family to have had diabetes (type 2).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Third, Type 2 diabetes is a symptom. The disease itself is high blood sugar. Things that lead to high blood sugar and therefore to Type 2 diabetes are: fatty liver, stress, genetics, inflammation, auto-immunity. Studies also suggest that just having a "low BMI" is not actually the most important. You want to be metabolically healthy, which means when you DO have fat, have the RIGHT KINDS. Work out your core. Balance your foods.

@Mapalicious "Auto-immunity" has nothing to do with Type 2 diabetes. It is, however, the cause of Type 1 diabetes. Don't confuse these different diseases just because they ended up with a similar name.

Also, type 2 diabetes is NOT a "symptom." High blood glucose is, in fact, a symptom. It would be more accurate to say that type 2 diabetes is a diagnosis that includes several different diseases. Or, you can refer to these differences as different "pathways" to the disease. The most common "pathway" to type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance with well over 90% of cases. The most common cause of insulin resistance is obesity (specifically fat).

You are the one here using the wrong words.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My mother is diabetic and my father is borderline (pre-diabetic).
    Both became quite sedentary after they retired from their comparatively active jobs (agronomists, walking up and down green-house alleys a good part of the day).

My mother acquired diabetes a few years after that. My father just plain sits on the couch and watches the news a good part of the day. They both live overseas (not in the US).
    My mom was almost obese when she was diagnosed and she was a major emotional eater due to some problems related to my brother - but she lost weight ever since. My father is overweight too.

What are my chances of NEVER getting diabetes if, unlike them:

1. I will work to keep my BMI at a normal level.
    2. I exercise daily and make sure to get in at least 10,000 steps a day (not just the hour of intense exercise).
    3. I stay on top of diet and do low-carb, avoid sugar, take blood sugar lowering supplements, whatever.

Last year I had a BMI of 24.8 but I have put on some weight over the past few months due to work-related stress. I am on my way back down to 24.9 which would make me "normal".
    My fasting blood sugar varies from upper 80's to mid 90's on a home testing device (Relion) which, in my experience, shows higher values than doctor's lab.

I have 13 lbs to lose to be back to a normal BMI - and I am 43.

I am so terrified of getting this illness given my family history.

Please someone tell me I can avoid it altogether if I BEHAVE long term - per diabetes guidelines.

Thank you all.

In anything health related there are no absolutes, but you will dramatically increase your chances by following the three steps you put forth. Even if you did end up with diabetes your life would be so much simpler and manageable if you are in good health.

Genetics merely establishes parameters. You can break beyond these through behavior.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    An A1C of 5.4 is normal, not prediabetic (and nothing to meh about :smile: )- also the blood sugars you report all sound perfectly normal. Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family and I was metformin/insulin dependent for 10+ years before I lost the weight. Now I watch what I eat and exercise regularly and get A1C numbers of 5.4 (without medications) and get excited when I get the results. My BMI is about 26 currently but my blood sugars and A1C numbers look pretty good - I eat carbs in moderation trying to keep them at about 45% of my macros.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    An A1C of 5.4 is normal, not prediabetic (and nothing to meh about :smile: )- also the blood sugars you report all sound perfectly normal. Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family and I was metformin/insulin dependent for 10+ years before I lost the weight. Now I watch what I eat and exercise regularly and get A1C numbers of 5.4 (without medications) and get excited when I get the results. My BMI is about 26 currently but my blood sugars and A1C numbers look pretty good - I eat carbs in moderation trying to keep them at about 45% of my macros.

According to this conversion table, A1c of 5.4 = Mean Plasma Glucose of around 110.

http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html

That's a rough average over the last several weeks, so it's not as good as checking your glucose frequently.

5.4 is higher than non-diabetics' levels of < 4.8 which some would say makes it higher than normal.

Risk for various diseases increases with glucose and BMI.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about those numbers, @TonyB0588 . Look at it this way. The diabetic diet is very healthy. At the very least it can slow down the progression of the disease and slow down or prevent complications. If you need medication to help bring those numbers down, it's still not the end of the world.

diabetic-eye.png

I'm in remission now, but I was pre-diabetic then diabetic for decades. I was very compliant in regards to my diet. I annually get checked for glaucoma and my eye doctor also checks the back of my eye for any scarring. There is none. She told me the eye never lies, and told me a story of another patient whom she told he had diabetes. She could see the scarring at the back of his eye. He denied it. He told her his doctor said the same thing but he had told the doctor he felt fine and there was nothing wrong with him. A few months later, back for a checkup, the patient was back in the eye doctor's office, much chastened, short a few toes.

Thanks for the encouragement. We're all trying as a family to eat healthier, and none of us is getting any worse. Just thought the comparison of our situations was one of those "unfair" things in life.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think it can be.

My paternal side of the family has a tendency towards diabetes; my uncle was TI, but my (other) uncle and grandfather were TII. My father is a giant question mark. I don't think he has it.

One could argue I've avoided diabetes because it's in the men in my family... but it wouldn't surprise me if my paternal aunt had it, as well. My grandmother has had other health issues, but never diabetes as far as I know; as far as I know, her diet has always been rather conservative and no doubt she avoided excess sugar because of the men having it. I've managed to avoid diabetes thus far, and I'm right around the age they probably were when their TII diabetes came to light.