Confusing question

Options
Hey,I'm new here .. I'm looking forward to lose 5 kgs , I used to cut out carbs and went from 70 kg to 60 kg ,then i stopped losing weight .. I've been told that it is not safe to cut out carbs completely,not good for losing weight as well !
Found that I should have at least 150 gms of carbs, 40 gms of suger .. so I'm surbrised to know that..
Is that a must ? .. or can I keep going cutting out carbs and suger ?
*I used to cheat once a week*

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there are low-carb diets and high fat diets - unless you have a medical need to cut out carbs, why would you? IMHO, its not a sustainable method of weight loss/maintenance

where did you get the numbers of carbs? what is your daily caloric goal? is your diary open so that MFP'ers can take a look for advice? why have a cheat day - why not just integrate food you enjoy into your daily eating plan?
  • farah_enany
    farah_enany Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    there are low-carb diets and high fat diets - unless you have a medical need to cut out carbs, why would you? IMHO, its not a sustainable method of weight loss/maintenance

where did you get the numbers of carbs? what is your daily caloric goal? is your diary open so that MFP'ers can take a look for advice? why have a cheat day - why not just integrate food you enjoy into your daily eating plan?

No,there's no medical need .. I just thought it would help me reach my goal weight
    My daily caloric goal is 1,200.. I got that number from the pal.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    from that 1200 - are you eating back any calories that you burn from working out?
  • farah_enany
    Options
    from that 1200 - are you eating back any calories that you burn from working out?

No,I don't..
    But I don't exercise regularly
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    it could be that 1200 is just too low for your body to maintain - if you are eating below your RMR (resting metabolic rate) regularly (you can figure this out via a lab or through an online calculator - won't be as accurate but will get you in the ballpark)
  • farah_enany
    Options
    it could be that 1200 is just too low for your body to maintain - if you are eating below your RMR (resting metabolic rate) regularly (you can figure this out via a lab or through an online calculator - won't be as accurate but will get you in the ballpark)

Oh,did you mean that I'll lose more weight when I eat a bit more ? .. I've heard that before but I'm afraid that I'll gain more weight if i did
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Oh,did you mean that I'll lose more weight when I eat a bit more ? .. I've heard that before but I'm afraid that I'll gain more weight if i did

what is your height/weight?
  • farah_enany
    Options

what is your height/weight?

My height is 160 cm ,weight 60 kg
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    based on what you gave me - your maintenance calories (using TDEE which takes energy expenditure into account) - is 1588cal - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=26&lbs=132&in=64&act=1.2&f=1

your BMI is also 22 which is classed as normal - so losing weight isn't going to be easy in general - what is your goal weight?
  • farah_enany
    Options
    based on what you gave me - your maintenance calories (using TDEE which takes energy expenditure into account) - is 1588cal - https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=26&lbs=132&in=64&act=1.2&f=1

your BMI is also 22 which is classed as normal - so losing weight isn't going to be easy in general - what is your goal weight?

Yeah, 55 or 54 kg
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    why did you pick that goal weight? looking at your picture, you look great - maybe focus on body recomp (losing fat while gaining muscle) rather than just losing weight
  • timmkeller62
    timmkeller62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's no always what you eat but when you eat it. I found out of I eat oatmeal in the morning, salad at lunch and a balanced (veg, carbs, meat) meal at night I loose weight faster than if I do it in another order. But that doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes you have to play around.
  • ppgfit
    ppgfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not a necessary nutrient. Proteins and Fats are. That does not mean not to eat carbs, but it depends on how you feel when cutting them and the results you get. I know from working with clients the past 22 years, that it is important to have a reefed of carbs/calories.
  • farah_enany
    edited December 2016
    Options
    why did you pick that goal weight? looking at your picture, you look great - maybe focus on body recomp (losing fat while gaining muscle) rather than just losing weight

Oh,thank you ..but I'm chubby
  • farah_enany
    Options
    Sometimes it's no always what you eat but when you eat it. I found out of I eat oatmeal in the morning, salad at lunch and a balanced (veg, carbs, meat) meal at night I loose weight faster than if I do it in another order. But that doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes you have to play around.

Yes,you're right .. I'm almost doing the same ,but i don't have just salad at lunch
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was hoping somebody else would jump in here, but since they haven't... You don't need to avoid carbs to lose weight, you don't need to eat more to lose weight, and you don't need to eat certain things at certain times. MFP gives a default setting for macros (carbs, fats, protein), but you can change those settings if that is your personal preference. When a person is already very small, weight loss requires laser-focus and extremely accurate calorie counts and no cheat days, and even then it will be very, very slow. All that being said, you are a normal BMI, you are certainly not chubby, and I really, really hope you are truly 26.
  • farah_enany
    Options
    ppgfit wrote: »
    Carbs are not a necessary nutrient. Proteins and Fats are. That does not mean not to eat carbs, but it depends on how you feel when cutting them and the results you get. I know from working with clients the past 22 years, that it is important to have a reefed of carbs/calories.

That's what I thought .. I find that I lose more weight when i cut it but sometimes I look pale an' feel headache when I completely cut it for a long time
    *I mean carbs an' suger*
  • farah_enany
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I was hoping somebody else would jump in here, but since they haven't... You don't need to avoid carbs to lose weight, you don't need to eat more to lose weight, and you don't need to eat certain things at certain times. MFP gives a default setting for macros (carbs, fats, protein), but you can change those settings if that is your personal preference. When a person is already very small, weight loss requires laser-focus and extremely accurate calorie counts and no cheat days, and even then it will be very, very slow. All that being said, you are a normal BMI, you are certainly not chubby, and I really, really hope you are truly 26.

Yes,it's very very slow that I'm bored trying to lose weight.. actually I'm not 26 :joy: