What am I doing wrong?

On October 27 I started my journey. To date I have lost 21 pounds. My question is I am working out a lot more and taking in less calories than when I started but I haven't lost anything in about a week. What's going on?

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I'm not even going to address your concern for a stall in weight loss.

....21 pounds since October 27? that's like 10 days.

Either you haven't actually lost that much, or you are going about weight loss in a dangerous, unhealthy manner
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Either you haven't actually lost that much, or you are going about weight loss in a dangerous, unhealthy manner

??????

There is the month of November in there somewhere.

Angie, what are you stats?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

40 days...
  • angiemick86
    angiemick86 Posts: 9 Member

Like other people said it has been 40 days. I know it's only a week but I'm just discouraged because I'm very strict about making sure to log EVERYTHING and just went from being super happy when I got on the scale to frustrated...
  • deannalfisher
    @angiemick86 - like others said, weight loss isn't linear - you aren't going to lose the same amount of weight each week or even each day

are you weighing yourself daily? is your log open so that MFP'ers can provide feedback/thoughts?
  • angiemick86

Angie, what are you stats?[/quote]
    grmckenzie wrote: »

??????

Why do you mean my stats? Sorry obviously new to all this!
  • deannalfisher

??????

Why do you mean my stats? Sorry obviously new to all this![/quote]

age/height/weight/current weight/goal weight
  • angiemick86
    Yes I weigh daily and I'm not sure how to make sure it's open but I would love to get feedback.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member

??????

40 days...

facepalm. i totally forgot november! Apologies! Now I feel like an idiot. ;)

they aren't kidding when they say the years go by quicker and quicker.

then OP, I go with what everyone else says. Weight loss isn't linear, it's one week, and don't stress!
  • deannalfisher
    Yes I weigh daily and I'm not sure how to make sure it's open but I would love to get feedback.

go settings>diary settings>diary sharing and select public
  • angiemick86
    Thanks its public now
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited December 2016
    You have a generic peanut butter and jelly sandwich logged for today. Is that your own recipe where you entered in the amount and brands of bread, peanut butter, and jelly used? A serving of the peanut butter I use is 200 calories by itself. There's also no indication that you're weighing your food.

Again, one week without a loss isn't anything to worry about (especially as a female who has to deal with hormonal weight fluctuations monthly, and when you've been averaging a 3.5 pound loss per week leading up to this), but it does look like you could be eating more than you think. I would purchase a food scale if you don't have one and start weighing everything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Not losing in 10 days isn't much to worry about, but it looks like you could have some opportunities to tighten up your logging. You have a lot logged in "slices" or "pieces" or "cups." If you choose an entry like .5 "Homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwich" you don't really know what type of bread the person created the entry was basing the calorie count on . . . or how much peanut butter they used or how much jelly. I can make a peanut butter sandwich that is 400 calories or one that is 900 calories. Better to weigh each component and log it that way. Same with things like "1 cup" mashed potatoes and gravy. How much gravy relative to potatoes? What was added to the potatoes? These things can make a big difference.

• angiemick86
    Today I did scan the bread and peanut butter ect before I did enter just a generic one because I didn't know enough about mfp system. I've just discovered this community part as well! I already put a scale on my list to get I didn't realize how important it was vs tbs etc.
  • angiemick86
    And mashed potatoe and gravy was when I went out with my parents so I wasn't sure
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, you are losing weight at a rate of 3-4 lbs per week. That is very aggressive, especially depending on your current weight.

Weight loss isn't linear. Even if you do everything 100% perfect, you won't lose weight every week. Plus there is other stuff in your body than fat - like water, muscle, undigested food, bone, etc. - and the weight of that stuff is constantly fluctuating, so sometimes that can mess with your scale weight. There is literally NOTHING wrong with not losing weight for 1 week.

Look at your weight loss over the long term, and please take care of yourself while losing weight that quickly!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    And mashed potatoe and gravy was when I went out with my parents so I wasn't sure

That makes sense -- we're all going to have times when we use our best guesses. Just know that every guess you make increases the chance that you are eating more than you think you are. Sometimes we think our weight loss has stalled and it's really due to the number of calories we're eating. Accurately logging (which it sounds like you're getting into) reduces the chances of mistakes like that. Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Today I did scan the bread and peanut butter ect before I did enter just a generic one because I didn't know enough about mfp system. I've just discovered this community part as well! I already put a scale on my list to get I didn't realize how important it was vs tbs etc.

Wait until the first time you weigh what you think is a tablespoon of peanut butter on a food scale. Be ready for a shock.
  • deannalfisher
    you have some food entries that aren't consistent with the calories listed either (ie. the lobster from saturday has 500+ calories, but no protein)