Remind me why I run??

Options
Hi,
I'm 5'5'', 155lbs (as you can see below), horrendously unfit for my weight and age (22) and even more horrenoudsly unhappy with my weight, fitness, myself generally.
I got a good HRM that also measures fat burn as well as calories etc. I was out playing frisbee yesterday for 40 or so minutes, pretty intensely as catching isnt my strong point so I had to jog for it a lot, but I was nowhere near as tired as when I run. My fat burn after that was 125 and I burned 450 calories.
I did week 2 day 2 of c25k today, really pushing myself (max heart rate was 191, wheras yesterday it didnt go over 150) I did the c25k then ran for another minute and did another couple of minutes cool down, so 35 minutes of exercise. My fat burn today was 66 and my calorie burn was 540.
I realise its probably to do with the lower heart rate for longer time = fat burn but surely it shouldnt be that different with only 5 minutes difference?
My real question is, can someone tell me the benefits of running before I give up and play frisbee everyday instead. I just assumed running would be good for you, but for the pain and effort it takes I can do other activities that burn twice as much fat and take hardly any effort at all.
Thanks for replies in advance.

Replies

• Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. I have found the same thing, that I can get a better burn doing fun things. I can play golf for 4 hours and burn 1200 calories. I have worn my HRM many times and have deducted calories to account for my BMR. To me that's a LOT more fun than running. (Disclosure: I never add calories burned for everyday things like taking the trash out, mowing the lawn, sex, cleaning the garage or basement, etc).
    I say, if you can find something fun to do and burn calories, then go that route. Some people love to run, so for them they are getting good burn and enjoying it while they do it. Its not for me though. I would rather weight train and other forms of cardio burn that I enjoy. If you enjoy what your doing AND burning calories, its easier to stay motivated.

Great post!! Look forward to hearing others comments!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The fat burn has to do with the lower heart rate. But someone once told me that more calories ALWAYS equals more calories. The more you can burn in a session, the better. So while your heart may not be in the 'target zone' for fat burning, you're still working off those calories. Would you rather have to work for an extra few months while maintaining your lower heart rate? Or would you rather challenge yourself constantly, pushing to get the highest burn and get there in a little less time?

Personally, without killing myself and burning out, I prefer pushing myself. Not every single workout, not every single day. But as often as I can. I'm time poor, so every minute helps.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate was definitely too high to be in the fat-burning zone. It's usually anywhere from 60-70% of your maximum heart rate, right? However, weight-loss is truly about more calories going out than coming in, which running, especially as hard as you did, will help that. Just be careful! I run because I feel amazing AFTER I run. I did the C25K program and I loved it. I found it after I had been doing some running on my own, so I caught the program at week 4 or 5. I did it for distance, so by the long runs I was doing the 2 or 3 mile runs, but not in 20 or 30 minutes. That way when I signed up for my 5k I knew I could do it, not just the first 30 minutes!

Don't get discouraged! Keep at it! Have a great weekend!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I personally hate to run. I always have...but I found other exercise I do like! I love spinning classes, kick boxing, and I do a lot of Workout videos at home b/c I don't have time to get to group fitness exercise classes. I only run when there is no other option, like when I am on vacay and there is no dvd, no room to workout or no gym near by. I hate it! Now there are other people that love it! Find something you enjoy doing and maybe you will start to enjoy exercise! Good luck!!
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks cwdanley :smile: I completely agree, I love playing golf, never thought to wear my HRM, I'll have to try it see what comes up!
    And yeah kr3851 I do like pushing myself, and you make an excellent point calorie burn wise. I'm in now way a natural runner but I guess getting my cardio up won't hurt. I've just reached that man from the boys stage. Tempting to give up as I was pretty much being a complete girl and crying the whole way round. But the next day might be better. I'm not one to give up easily, so I'll keep it to 3 times a week and see if it gets any easier.
    Once I've done c25k, if I still dont have a knack for running, Ill go back to just hiking and zumba etc...the fun things!
  • Victorian131
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) hope you're all having a great day and enjoy the weekend!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    running does get easier, i'm on week 6 of c25k and actually enjoying it, keep it up, it is a great way to lose the weight and tone the legs, you could even hold 1lb weights to help when you get better?

On another note, where did you get your HRM? i have been trying to find a good one and the one you describe sounds great.

good luck :-)
  • adawn09
    adawn09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was just recently thinking the same thing. I think to run, you have to really enjoy doing it to stick to it. If you don't enjoy running then you can switch to something that you would enjoy doing more while you're burning calories at the same time. I didn't really enjoy running when I first started my weight loss journey. I just felt like I couldn't do anything right and it was a waste of my time. However, I later started to enjoy it a lot when I got better at it. It's almost like my meditation now. Listening to music and running (especially on a trail) is one of the most peaceful things for me, because I don't have to listen to anyone complain and I don't have to be responsible for anything for that time. Also, I just started to join races (5K's right now). That has been my biggest motivation to run, because then I have something that I've accomplished for all my hard work. Also, if you don't like running but like big-calorie burn, try kickboxing, it awesome!
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cycling! It also turns out to be an amazing calorie burn next to running. However, running seems to have a bigger impact on my overall fitness. I see many seasoned cyclists that still have poochy bellies. I don't see that in seasoned runners. I'm also sore the day or two after a 30 minute run/walk - not horribly anymore, but noticeable. I can ride my bike for 3-4 hours (and burn an amazing amount of calories) but still never feel sore. My solution - I change up between the two. Your solution - whatever you want. Frisbee is fun, social and a great workout. Can you always find someone else to play with you? Then enjoy.
  • Victorian131
    Options
    My HRM is crivit, believe it or not it was over half price at only £12.99! A review can be found below. I got it from Lidl and it has been genuinely great. Apparently the battery won't last long but its replaceable so I'm fine with that!

http://swinny.net/Cycling/Under_Test/-3699-Crivit-Sports-HRM-Pedometer

I used to go to a boxing class every week before I hurt my back, it was a really tough workout but really fun. There is a thai boxing just starting at my gym and I was thinking of giving it a try, I think I'll sign up and see how it goes!

Yeah I'm trying to buy a bike atm but on a student buget its hard. I used to love going mountain biking. And yeah I play frisbee with my partner and friends, we love messing about near our favourite lake so the frisbee makes it more fun and you have to work hard to make sure it doesnt go in the water! hehe!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    1. Don't run

2. Your perception of "fat burning" based on intensity of exercise needs a slight adjustment. The difference in fat used as fuel between low intensity and high intensity is negligible. http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/fat-burning_zone_myth.asp
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    My experience:

Running = leaner thighs and legs. You don't have to run long distance. The effort is worth it IMHO.
  • Victorian131
    Options
    1. Don't run

2. Your perception of "fat burning" based on intensity of exercise needs a slight adjustment. The difference in fat used as fuel between low intensity and high intensity is negligible. http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/fat-burning_zone_myth.asp

Thank you for the post, but can you justify number 1 please?
    Also, that's a good article, I've read a similar one before. It does confuse me more as to why I burn less fat running though.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Because you question why you run.

Pros and cons? yeah, burns calories but bad for joints, too much may hurt your heart health, can make you skinny fat (waste your muscle). Easy enough to look further into.
  • Victorian131
    Options
    Its true, all good points. I always said when any of my joints start to hurt in the slightest I'll stop. Like anything I guess, when the cons outweigh the pros its always time to reconsider. I just hate feeling like a quitter is all.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    IMO you should do what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stay with it. Everyone is different- personally, I love to run! Just do what you like :smile:
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm asking myself the same question this lunchtime - did a 5 mile run first thing this morning, on the last mile felt my knee 'ping' a bit - no biggie, kept running. Now I can't walk up or down the stairs and it's constantly aching!:tongue:

Daft mare that I am, I know I should have stopped running but I was in my last mile and desperate to finish in 50 minutes!! After doing the C25K earlier this year I got the bug and now I really feel grumpy if I don't have a 4 or 5 mile run at 6am at least 4 days per week!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ...... I'm in now way a natural runner .......

My Pilates teacher - who encouraged me to start running - says that anyone can run. I'd always considered myself to not be a natural runner and so never ran. But once I started it became clear after a month-ish that it was me telling myself that I couldn't run - there was no reason for me not to be able too even though it was only from lap-post to lamp-post at that point. After persevering for a couple of months I found that I had developed a running rhythm and style. When that comes together its a fab feeling!

I looked at running as a challenge and won't let it beat me, and sometimes its a struggle or I have to push myself to get out there - but having got this far I go because I don't want to lose what I've gained.

Whether you carry on or not is your choice - but don't stop because you find it hard - only if you really don't enjoy it.

I'd encourage you to keep going and finish the C25K and see how yo feel after that.

Good luck!.
  • mitzir
    mitzir Posts: 10
    Options
    I second the pp who said that it really targets your hips and thighs. So, if that's where your hold you weight running is probably the best thing for you. I know I have "thick" legs and running is the only thing that finally shaped them in to something I like.

Personally, I run because it's hard for me. So, it gives me an exercise high and sense of accomplishment like no other. Anyone can do things that come naturally to them, it's when you do what's hard for you and challenge your self that you will really see gains. That's why I run. And as for seeing results, I have never seen serious results from something before 6 to 8 weeks of seriously sticking to what ever it is. Real long-term progress doesnt happen over night.

Good luck!