Topamax for Weight Loss

Options
My doctor just prescribed Topamax to help me lose weight. Anyone have any experience with this medicine?

Replies

• jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    He said it's also for weight loss. Around 25 per month. I've already lost 25 in 30 days using MFP.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A anti-seizure medication for wt loss. Side effects galore.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Wow you lost 25 lbs in 30 days before the medicine??
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Can we help you achieve a healthy rate of loss?

I wouldn't be taking an anti seizure medication TBH
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm on topomax for migraines, which is another use for the medication.

In my experience, the appetite suppressing effects of it didn't last.

I was on it before I started trying to lose weight.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    As others have said it's a seizure medicine but it's also used to prevent migraines. One potential side effect is appetite suppression. I was on it for migraines and the side effects were horrible. I could not complete a thought on it to the point where my ability to do my work was seriously impaired.
  • jomariewill
    Options
    I need to lose 140 pounds. I'm 5'11 and 287 pounds. I have bipolar I disorder but I am already on a medication for it. My weight loss has stopped. I actually gained 4 pounds. I'm eating 1600 calories per day. I do 30 minutes aerobics in the morning and walk/jog 2 miles every evening 5 days per week. I have not slipped on my diet. Even Thanksgiving I didn't exceed my calorie goal. He thinks the medicine will make me want to eat less and get me out of the slump.
  • jomariewill
    Options
    I got what I needed from this post though. I have a job that requires quick thinking and I can't be impaired in any way. The doctor acted like there were minimal side effects.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My doctor tried me on it, but it didn't change my appetite. I also got bad "Dopamax" side effects so we discontinued. It has worked for many other people. That is how it became a weight loss drug, because people taking it for seizures and migraines were having side effects of appetite suppression and weight loss.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope it was your psych adding this in and not some other doctor messing with your medication. As elphie says, the balance shouldn't be messed with by anyone but your prescribing psychiatrist. But it could be them that added it in.

As to not losing weight. You're just going to have to do your best and try to find ways to manage your appetite with your dietary choices. At your size you can still eat quite a bit and lose but you need to be logging consistently and accurately. I started my weight loss whilst still taking seroquel (notorious for the appetite and sedation it gives). I just didn't choose an aggressive goal, used a food scale and I track everything. good and bad, it is all added.

You can lose whilst on bipolar meds, you just may need to do some tweaking to manage side effects of medications (though if you're stable and have been for some time, the side effects should have stabilised and it's just about adjusting to eating less like every other person trying to lose weight, just part of the process).
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I got what I needed from this post though. I have a job that requires quick thinking and I can't be impaired in any way. The doctor acted like there were minimal side effects.

Not even close. The side effects of this medicine are horrifying for some people. I was lucky and only suffered neuropathy while on it. My sister, and many, many others were not so lucky.

There was a thread a few months ago about it that was very informative. It's worth a search
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My doctor Prut me on Trokendi which is the same as topamax. It is a anti convulsants medication but one of the side effects of this medication is loss of appetite. However I think that can be misleading. I have been on this medication for 6+ months. However I do not take it faithfully. In my experience with this medication it juse made certain foods taste different, mainly drinks. All soda tastes flat, tea is gross now, and beer you can forget that!! I now drink just water. Also I found that fried foods taste disgusting. I take mine in spurts. If I feel like I'm having a hard time with cravings, especially sweets I take e meds. One thing my doctor told me was as long as you stay on a dose lower than 300 mg you should have minimal side effects. Once you get over that mg you will start to get the side effects mainly blurred vision. Hope this helps.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    My doctor just prescribed Topamax to help me lose weight. Anyone have any experience with this medicine?

I am soooo confused. What do feminine hygiene products have to to with weight loss? :o

Low calorie filler?

OP, I'm glad you chose to heed the warnings of others. The side effects can be debilitating.

Is there anything we can help you with? At 1600 cals/you should still be losing. How long has it been since you stalled? Are you using a kitchen scale to weigh your foods?
  • jomariewill
    Options
    To answer a few questions, yes it was my psychiatrist that prescribed the Topamax with my bipolar medication. He started me on the lowest dose and is seeing me back in a week. If I see any problems I will discontinue it. I have a food scale and use it religiously. I have not lost weight in almost 2 weeks. My thyroid has been checked and is normal. I also had an EKG and blood work to check my liver as well as check for PCOS and I am heathy. Thanks everyone for your opinions on this. If it helps me with no side effects then lucky me, if not, no harm done.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Watch for side effects. Some of them affect cognitive function. Some of them affect your ability to taste certain flavors.

Some of the cognitive side effects can be permanent.

There's a reason one of it's nicknames is "Dopamax."